How Does Our Pack Compare To The Other Teams In Super League

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: How Does Our Pack Compare To The Other Teams In Super League

Post by Caboosegg »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:59 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:36 pm 8 Burgess/Clubb
9 Powell
10 Bullock/Flower
11 Greenwood
12 Farrell/Isa
13 O'loughlin/Smithies

My choices and interchange, I think we need to buy/develop a running 2nd row of some size to back up Greenwood. A back row of Farrell/Isa/Smithies is too lightweight.
Front row is looking OK with Partington/Byrne hopefully improving and able to spread the load.
Hopefully, Jack Wells is now over his serious injury and he can kick on. He could be the answer to our second row problems.
Whats our second row problem?

Farrell is an outstanding player.
Greenwood had a bad year but was outstanding the year before.
ISA has be good for us, yes never amazing but a solid workhorse and good to have in the team.

Ive never thought of wigan having a second row problem 😂
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:50 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:59 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:36 pm 8 Burgess/Clubb
9 Powell
10 Bullock/Flower
11 Greenwood
12 Farrell/Isa
13 O'loughlin/Smithies

My choices and interchange, I think we need to buy/develop a running 2nd row of some size to back up Greenwood. A back row of Farrell/Isa/Smithies is too lightweight.
Front row is looking OK with Partington/Byrne hopefully improving and able to spread the load.
Hopefully, Jack Wells is now over his serious injury and he can kick on. He could be the answer to our second row problems.
Whats our second row problem?

Farrell is an outstanding player.
Greenwood had a bad year but was outstanding the year before.
ISA has be good for us, yes never amazing but a solid workhorse and good to have in the team.

Ive never thought of wigan having a second row problem 😂
Faz is a good player. Greenwood needs to improve massively on last season, both in terms of fitness and form. Isa is a great club man, the type of guy you want young players around, a consummate professional but not, in my view, first choice material. Our second row forwards need to make more yards and break tackles in 2020.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Forgot about Clark but I do think 2nd row needs attention - I don't think the Hull article is way off TBH. Either way Saints 2nd row has the edge on us and thats a problem.
bertina

Post by bertina »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:15 pm https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... 20-3694321

Average according to the lads in Hull.
I realise that Clubb has been given a starting number, but I can’t believe how many on here are putting him in their chosen team. He would be nowhere near my starting 19.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Personally, I'm not concerned about the quality or recruitment regarding other SL packs. The reality is, Lam and the coaching staff need to prioritize who makes the line up and bench based on form and consistency rather than length of service!
For my money based on last season form (as that's all we can go off),

17. Partington
9. Powell
10. Burgess (Obviously this is based on rep rather than last season).
15. Greenwood (Very injury prone last season but is more effective than Isa pound for pound).
12. Farrell
16. Smithies (Future 13, too promising to be sitting on the bench).

11. Isa
14. Flower
19. Bullock
20. Byrne

Would need to see Mitch Clark for Wigan before I pass opinion. Tony Clubb hopefully has taken a long hard look at himself in the off season! As for SOL, I think age genuinely caught up with him last season. Despite the talk about him looking six years younger in training, I think its a case of seeing is believing. Unless he is back to his previous level of fitness he offers nothing apart from playing as a interchange prop IMO and I'm afraid there are several forwards in front of SOL!
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I'm also interested to see how Pearce-Paul goes. He looks a real athlete and someone with a body frame that can be built on. He seems to be doing really well in the athletic type tests in the pre season videos that I have seen.
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

Hopefully another Kevin Iro, now that would be something.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:31 pm Forgot about Clark but I do think 2nd row needs attention - I don't think the Hull article is way off TBH. Either way Saints 2nd row has the edge on us and thats a problem.
I'd have Farrel over saints 2nd row anyday. That isnt to say that i think Taia and Poeryoux are bad players.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:41 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:31 pm Forgot about Clark but I do think 2nd row needs attention - I don't think the Hull article is way off TBH. Either way Saints 2nd row has the edge on us and thats a problem.
I'd have Farrel over saints 2nd row anyday. That isnt to say that i think Taia and Poeryoux are bad players.
So would I. Peyroux was hammered by Saints fans in 2018, look at the difference a good coach makes!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:35 am
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:41 pm
So would I. Peyroux was hammered by Saints fans in 2018, look at the difference a good coach makes!
peyroux was an average player who was coached how to run good angles and hit the ball at speed...... hes now much improved due to this
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE