Question regarding Testimonials??

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Question regarding Testimonials??

Post by josie andrews »

Can anyone tell me if at one time RL Testimonials were only handed out to players who had been & played at the one club for ten years? That’s how I seem to remember it.

IE; Sean O’Loughlin, Liam Farrell, Johnny Lomax, Jermaine McGillvary, Jamie Jones-Buchanan

It seems today that you only have to have played RL for ten years anywhere to be awarded one!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Question regarding Testimonials??

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:30 pm Can anyone tell me if at one time RL Testimonials were only handed out to players who had been & played at the one club for ten years? That’s how I seem to remember it.

IE; Sean O’Loughlin, Liam Farrell, Johnny Lomax, Jermaine McGillvary, Jamie Jones-Buchanan

It seems today that you only have to have played RL for ten years anywhere to be awarded one!
You are correct Josie regarding the ten year rule at one club. Which player(s) have been awarded one who have not served ten years at one club?
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Danny Brough!
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Does anyone know, did Neil Cowie ever get a testimonial game at Wigan?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:16 pm Danny Brough!
Good point.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Michael Shenton he did two or three years at Saints.

LMS has done nine years at Saints signed previously from London Broncos in 2011

There are quite a few this year, I’ve kept seeing them pop up I news articles and often wondered why some have been given testimonials when they have been at several clubs.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I wonder if the ruling has been relaxed regarding the 10 year at one club rule?

Its so rare nowadays that players stay that long it makes sense the Rfl (not the club) award the testimonial
moto748

Post by moto748 »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:40 pm

Its so rare nowadays that players stay that long it makes sense the Rfl (not the club) award the testimonial
Do they, then? I was going to say, does there have to be a 'rule'? Is it not something determined by the club to offer a testimonial? Or are they arranged by the RFL?
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

I was under the impression that the RFL had to sanction any player testimonial . Used to only be granted if a player served ten years at one club . Not sure of the rules now .

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

moto748 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:39 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:40 pm

Do they, then? I was going to say, does there have to be a 'rule'? Is it not something determined by the club to offer a testimonial? Or are they arranged by the RFL?
From little I can find out on the web,it’s definrtly the Rfl not the club that awards them,10 years,services to the sport etc,I was always under the impression it was down to the clubs to award them but there you go.