Impressed despite result: Lam

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Impressed despite result: Lam

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam reacts to Wigan’s pre-season loss away to Leigh Centurions.

“I was really impressed with a good few of them and moving forward I think we are in a really good place to settle into Round 1.” Lam

FT | Leigh Centurions 12-6 Wigan Warriors

Head Coach Adrian Lam believes Thursday’s final pre-season fixture has brought him closer to his season opening first team squad.

Reacting to the defeat to Leigh Lam said, “Obviously I’d have preferred to have won, but I’m really proud of the players efforts tonight.

“I thought we were strong in some areas we are looking to improve.”

The squad comprised of a strong mix of first-team players and youth prospects. Commenting on the youthful lineup the Head Coach said, “We had a lot of youngsters out there, some 18s and some 17 year-olds.”

With Warrington just one week away, the 49 year-old had marked this fixture as the last opportunity for some players to put their name forward for the squad to open the 2020 Betfred Super League season for Wigan.

“Tonight was another opportunity for some players to stake a claim and to also say to the coaches that they want to be next in line.

“I was really impressed with a good few of them and moving forward I think we are in a really good place to settle into Round 1.”

On who in particular coauthor his eye, “I thought Ethan Havard was brilliant, I thought Joe Bullock was brilliant at times, Joe Burgess, Joe Greenwood, Harry Rushton and Harry Smith played pretty good. James McDonnell and Kai Pearce-Paul had a dig too.

Dom Manfredi returned to action for the first time since Aril 2019. On his physical state, “We need to look at him tomorrow as he took a knock to his hand. But with regards to his knee, he’s come through perfectly.”

Looking ahead to Warrington, who Wigan play next Thursday in the Season opener, Lam said “We are now pretty clear on 18-19 of our squad for that game. The make-up of the bench is something we will choose probably on Tuesday.”

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... result-lam
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Impressed despite result: Lam

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan lose at Leigh

Match report as Wigan end pre-season with a 12-6 defeat against Leigh Centurions.

James Barran got Wigan’s only try of a rough and tumble game.

Full time: Leigh 12-6 Wigan.

Wigan ended pre-season with a 12-6 defeat to Leigh Centurions in a rough and tumble battle of boroughs.
Tries either side of the second half helped the home team on their way to victory, with a James Barran’s try not being enough for Adrian Lam’s side.

The opening 40 minutes saw very little action as the two teams figured each other out, without causing too many worrying moments.

Wigan’s best chance in a scoreless first half came through Dom Manfredi, on his return to action, as he came close down the right wing; before being forced out of play.

Joe Burgess also had an opportunity towards the end of the half but was also stopped in his tracks by the Centurions defence.

Meanwhile Adrian Lam’s side also needed to defend well, to keep out a number of Leigh attacks, with any danger being averted.

Five minutes into the second half, the home side made the first break through of the game, as Alex Gerrard powered his way through.

Ben Reynolds added the extras to give Leigh a 6-0 lead.

Wigan came close to responding through Sam Halsall, but Harry Smith’s grubber bounced just out his reach.

The Warriors did finally get their try with five minutes of play remaining, as James Barran finished off an excellent move to dive over.

Chris Hankinson was on hand to add the extras to level the scores at 6-6.

With three minutes remaining, Leigh took the victory, as Jordan Thompson went over to put the Centurions back in front.

Reynolds once again made no mistake with the conversion as Leigh took a 12-6 lead.

Despite a few further attacks, Wigan could not find another breakthrough as their final pre-season game ended in defeat.

All attention will now turn to next Thursday’s mouth watering Super League opener against Warrington Wolves at the DW Stadium. Get your tickets HERE.

Leigh Centurions: Craig Mullen, Ryan Ince, Iain Thornley, Junior Sa’u, Cameron Scott, Josh Woods, Jarrod Sammut, Nathan Mason, Matty Wildie, Mark Loane, Ben Hellewell, Nick Glohe, Danny Addy.

Interchanges: Greg McNally, Jordan Thompson, Sam Brooks, Ben Reynolds, Tom Spencer, Martyn Ridyard, Alex Gerrard, Adam Higson, Brad Holroyd, Callum Field.

Tries: Gerrard (46’), Thompson (77’)

Conversions: Reynolds (2/2)

Wigan Warriors: Umyla Hanley, Dom Manfredi, Chris Hankinson, Sam Hallsall, Joe Burgess, Jake Shorrocks, Harry Smith, Joe Bullock, Amir Bourouh, Mitch Clark, Jack Wells, Joe Greenwood, Ethan Havard.

Interchanges: Joe Shorrocks, Harry Rushton, Aiden Roden, Ben Kilner, Kai Pearce-Paul, James McDonnell, James Barran, Cian Tyrer, Ben Holcroft, Max Roberts.

Tries: Barran (75’)

Conversions: Hankinson (1/1)

Attendance: 2144

https://www.wiganwarriors.com/news/2020 ... e-at-leigh
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan