Wigan vs wire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Re: Wigan vs wire

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:35 pm Burgess fastest man at wigan? My arse, notwith a rugby ball in his hand
He left Charnley in his wake.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
DaveO

Wigan vs wire

Post by DaveO »

Southern Softy wrote:That was not the first match of 2020 - that was another match from 2019.

Forwards were powder-puff - Smithies excepted - assume they will get fitter as we progress. Marshall and Burgess were strong in defence - very necessary. French was good in parts and will be an asset. Hardaker was very good.

Warrington were as dirty as ever but probably deserved to win. We need to get our forwards sorted out soon.

And we still look uncoached. Short goal-line drop-outs and we let them get the ball!!!! Our kicking hasn't improved and we didn't use the conditions like Warrington did. Daryl Clark ran straight through the middle.
It was all a bit Groundhog Day. Last tackle - die with the ball. Hopefully the cobwebs have been blown away.

Things can only get better and at least we have 2 points. Not sure I'm looking forward to Cas next week but maybe this was the wake-up call we needed.

And touch judges - can't we just get rid of them? They don't contribute anything.
Fair assessment. The team looked as knackered as it did at the end of last season. What have they been doing in the off season? Getting fit doesn’t seem to have been on the agenda and attacking wise not much different to last season either.

Wire on the other hand looked sharp and much quicker. Their line speed was much faster than ours and our attack was as predictable as ever on second and third plays. They knew where the ball was going before we did half the time.

Hastings got better as the game wore on and looks like a good buy. Someone needs to have a word with Burgess say when 40 seconds is left on the clock and you are six points in front you just make sure you hang onto the ball and take the tackle regardless of there being a chance to go the length of the pitch.

CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:40 pm
Firestarter wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:35 pm Burgess fastest man at wigan? My arse, notwith a rugby ball in his hand
He is a complete enigma Joe Burgess! For me he is the complete package for a winger (pace, strength, height, weight and ability to score)......but I believe we very rarely see it these days!

Fairenough he had injuries in 2019, but he doesn't help his case when he makes statements intending to improve in 2020 and appears to look similar to last season.

I know it's only one game in but I wonder if he is genuinely passionate anymore? If you look at Marshy in comparison, he is slightly slower, lighter and small in frame but his enthusiasm is SECOND TO NONE!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yes, the comparison with Marshall again does Burgess no favours; he *should* be our best winger by far, but once again, he doesn't look it. The way it's looking at the moment, surely a fit Manfredi will overtake him.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

And fair play to Wire fans for bringing a very decent following, which put the gate figure into perspective. I wonder if we'll take as many there?
shaunedwardsfanclub

DaveO wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:01 am
Southern Softy wrote:That was not the first match of 2020 - that was another match from 2019.

Forwards were powder-puff - Smithies excepted - assume they will get fitter as we progress. Marshall and Burgess were strong in defence - very necessary. French was good in parts and will be an asset. Hardaker was very good.

Warrington were as dirty as ever but probably deserved to win. We need to get our forwards sorted out soon.

And we still look uncoached. Short goal-line drop-outs and we let them get the ball!!!! Our kicking hasn't improved and we didn't use the conditions like Warrington did. Daryl Clark ran straight through the middle.
It was all a bit Groundhog Day. Last tackle - die with the ball. Hopefully the cobwebs have been blown away.

Things can only get better and at least we have 2 points. Not sure I'm looking forward to Cas next week but maybe this was the wake-up call we needed.

And touch judges - can't we just get rid of them? They don't contribute anything.
Fair assessment. The team looked as knackered as it did at the end of last season. What have they been doing in the off season? Getting fit doesn’t seem to have been on the agenda and attacking wise not much different to last season either.

Wire on the other hand looked sharp and much quicker. Their line speed was much faster than ours and our attack was as predictable as ever on second and third plays. They knew where the ball was going before we did half the time.

Hastings got better as the game wore on and looks like a good buy. Someone needs to have a word with Burgess say when 40 seconds is left on the clock and you are six points in front you just make sure you hang onto the ball and take the tackle regardless of there being a chance to go the length of the pitch.
Did you not think that Gelling punched that ball out? If so, it should have been play on!
shaunedwardsfanclub

CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:11 am
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:40 pm
He is a complete enigma Joe Burgess! For me he is the complete package for a winger (pace, strength, height, weight and ability to score)......but I believe we very rarely see it these days!

Fairenough he had injuries in 2019, but he doesn't help his case when he makes statements intending to improve in 2020 and appears to look similar to last season.

I know it's only one game in but I wonder if he is genuinely passionate anymore? If you look at Marshy in comparison, he is slightly slower, lighter and small in frame but his enthusiasm is SECOND TO NONE!
Was he better or worse than Charnley?
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Can understand when everyone is saying, we really should of really dominated wolves especially when they when down to 11 but we let them control the tempo of the game, ref didn’t help either.
Think we’ve got a good of variety in the squad this season, size and pace, let’s see what Lam can do with them
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Our fitness was dire. Let's hope they "needed" that game.

Burgess was brought in to add weight and experience to our pack, but he looked fat and unfit. No excuse whatsoever for this. I only hope he was carrying an injury.

J Burgess was, as he has been for a while now, "ok" but nothing else.

Hastings did ok. Solid and a few glimpses of what he can offer.

However, the most worrying aspect of last night is that they were 1 or 2 players down and we still looked like we hadn't got a clue at creating chances.

We got 2 points but I think the Warrington fans should be the happier.

Must do better.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

ian.birchall wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:22 pm
Firestarter wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:52 pm The hardaker try is a pain inthe arse...... the linesman waves play onthen it gets calked back...... why dont we get rid of linesmen/women and have a live camfor these decisions
But no doubt the Wire foot was In touch.
i agree ian but the problem is that it only got called back coz wigan scored...... if wire get the ball the game goes on and no play back
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE