Wigan vs wire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
CheshireWarrior

Re: Wigan vs wire

Post by CheshireWarrior »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:23 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:54 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:16 am

Clubb looks like hes trimmed up a bit in the off season to me. He was warming up right in front of me during the game and he looked leaner than I've ever seen him
I thought Tony Clubb was really poor in 2019 in many areas and certainly not alone in the forwards! I actually thought the guy tried really well last night and wasn't poor. I do think he was struggling with fitness though and I think to be fair to him, being the wrong side of 30 and the injuries/surgery he has had over the years it really shows in his games at times.
The problem is that Clubb and Burgess should be leading from the front and on the evidence of last night we are relying on our juniors to carry this pack. I don't think Clubb played badly last night but he needs to play a lot more minutes and up his game. The Club disagree with you regarding his fitness, age etc., they gave him a two year extension to his contract, so neither of those issues can be used as an excuse if you follow their logic. Personally, I think we should have released him.
I think it was a major disappointment regarding George Burgess, hopefully its lack of game time but I've said previously for a seasoned NRL forward, I thought his performance was particularly concerning. I agree, Clubb should have been released and I dont think he has more game time in him. As for the youth I really rate Partington, Byrne and Smithies, although the pressure should be taken off them by our more seasoned forwards, I think they are doing great and obviously gaining valuable match time.
pedro

Post by pedro »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:39 pm
Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:42 am

I agree.

French has been given the no 6 shirt but it seems the injury to Gildart has led to Lam playing two players out of position. French at FB and Hardaker at centre though that did change later on in the game.

Lam presumably thinks Hankinson isn't good enough ( or maybe he's injured) but he needs to get a settled half back pairing sorted if we are to see the half backs gain an understanding and he needs to find out of French can cut it at 6. Tommy is looking past it now.

When Gildart is back I'd expect to see Hastings 7, French 6, Gildart and Bibby in the centres and Hardaker at full back. Tommy interchange hooker. But don't we have a long wait for this to be possible?

As to recruiting a top class hooker, don't hold your breath. IL and Rads aren't ruthless enough to do that.
French has number 6 as hardaker has number 1....

French is a fullback and moving him to the halves would be a mistake.
Where has this “French is a fullback” like it’s he’s been playing there all his career come from?

He wasn’t a full back in the NRL and he wasn’t in his games for us last season.
He was asked last night and he stated he likes fullback wants to stay at fullback and we will see more of what he can do when in the game.
Well we should have brought in someone else then or not bothered recruiting Bibby or retaining Hankinson if Hardaker is going to switch to centre.

We have apparently got three or four centres (if Hardaker is a centre) , and two or three fullbacks if Hardaker is a fullback (and Escare is still here along with French).

And no number 6.
he played plenty at fullback in the NRL, cant remember him playing 6 in the NRL though
moto748

Post by moto748 »

pedro wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:52 pm

he played plenty at fullback in the NRL, cant remember him playing 6 in the NRL though

Yes, that's right. And I'll be very happy with him at full-back for us.
PorterjohLam

Post by PorterjohLam »

Thought attack was poor although whether that was having to rejig after Powell's injury or not I don't know.

French is head and shoulders above the rest in terms of excitement. Thought Hardaker did alright as well.

George Burgess...whew. Hopefully fitness as I can't remember a worse debut since Davico :lol: :lol:

Also hi, I'm back - my old account no longer exists for some reason...
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:42 am

I agree.

French has been given the no 6 shirt but it seems the injury to Gildart has led to Lam playing two players out of position. French at FB and Hardaker at centre though that did change later on in the game.

Lam presumably thinks Hankinson isn't good enough ( or maybe he's injured) but he needs to get a settled half back pairing sorted if we are to see the half backs gain an understanding and he needs to find out of French can cut it at 6. Tommy is looking past it now.

When Gildart is back I'd expect to see Hastings 7, French 6, Gildart and Bibby in the centres and Hardaker at full back. Tommy interchange hooker. But don't we have a long wait for this to be possible?

As to recruiting a top class hooker, don't hold your breath. IL and Rads aren't ruthless enough to do that.
French has number 6 as hardaker has number 1....

Where has this “French is a fullback” like it’s he’s been playing there all his career come from?

He was asked last night and he stated he likes fullback wants to stay at fullback and we will see more of what he can do when in the game.
Well we should have brought in someone else then or not bothered recruiting Bibby or retaining Hankinson if Hardaker is going to switch to centre.

We have apparently got three or four centres (if Hardaker is a centre) , and two or three fullbacks if Hardaker is a fullback (and Escare is still here along with French).

And no number 6.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bevan_French

Position Fullback, Wing

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/play ... tions.html

Club Career
Position
Australian League Matches
Fullback
Wing
English League Career
Wing
Bench
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:50 pm
shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:23 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:54 am

I thought Tony Clubb was really poor in 2019 in many areas and certainly not alone in the forwards! I actually thought the guy tried really well last night and wasn't poor. I do think he was struggling with fitness though and I think to be fair to him, being the wrong side of 30 and the injuries/surgery he has had over the years it really shows in his games at times.
The problem is that Clubb and Burgess should be leading from the front and on the evidence of last night we are relying on our juniors to carry this pack. I don't think Clubb played badly last night but he needs to play a lot more minutes and up his game. The Club disagree with you regarding his fitness, age etc., they gave him a two year extension to his contract, so neither of those issues can be used as an excuse if you follow their logic. Personally, I think we should have released him.
I think it was a major disappointment regarding George Burgess, hopefully its lack of game time but I've said previously for a seasoned NRL forward, I thought his performance was particularly concerning. I agree, Clubb should have been released and I dont think he has more game time in him. As for the youth I really rate Partington, Byrne and Smithies, although the pressure should be taken off them by our more seasoned forwards, I think they are doing great and obviously gaining valuable match time.
I agree with all of that CW but if we are to win a GF and CC the experienced lads will have to stand up and be counted.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

I think that is a fair comment. Personally, I thought his form was decent last night and for what it is worth I thought our wingers were better than the opposition.
shaunedwardsfanclub

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:48 pm
Mickw wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:49 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:07 am I did wonder what had gone on report,not good if it turns out to be true but whatever smithess needs to watch himself now
He doesn't need to watch himself if he didn't do it,Austin spent all night crying to the ref so until there's proof I'd take it as the boy who cried wolf.
He did something on his face that’s clear the arm coming over his head seemed to grab his nose at the very least,will it lead anywhere who knows so yes he does need to keep an eye on himself in such situations
Come on this is rugby league the tart has to toughen up. If he had played in the seventies I believe he would have been too frightened to have come out of the sheds!
shaunedwardsfanclub

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:06 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:56 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:46 pm Nothing will change my view that Hardaker should be at fullback,French is fast I’ll grant you that but once the season gets under way I think he will struggle at fullback.

I still can’t fathom why he was signed,well stocked on the wing and at fullback yet as Dave pointed out the side in dire need of a number 6,he’s the definition of a luxury signing and perhaps his wage would have spent elsewhere?
Without him on the field we wouldn't have scored 2 tries!

Hardly a "luxury" signing! :D
You simply don’t know that,it’s like saying if Hill has stayed on wire would have won,we ain’t mystic meg

Truth is in his best positions,wing and fullback Wigan are very well stocked and an area that really needed more attention was in the halves,because French isn’t a half by any day of the week and I said as much last season.

So while I’m glad he’s here he the very definition of a luxury signing
He's a top class player and he would be in my 17 everyday of the week. Get rid of the stock if that is the case not Bevan,
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pedro wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: French has number 6 as hardaker has number 1....

And no number 6.
I am pretty sure he played a handful of games there but played mostly on the wing in the NRL but was not happy about that and then his NRL career stalled and he went to their second string comp. He said if he didn’t get to play FB he was open to leaving Parramatta is my recollection.

If he wants to play FB so adamantly when we have Hardaker I don’t understand why he was given the no 6 shirt nor why we signed him if he can’t play 6.