Wigan vs wire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Wigan vs wire

Post by moto748 »

Yeah, I guess there's downsides if you look for them.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:46 pm Nothing will change my view that Hardaker should be at fullback,French is fast I’ll grant you that but once the season gets under way I think he will struggle at fullback.

I still can’t fathom why he was signed,well stocked on the wing and at fullback yet as Dave pointed out the side in dire need of a number 6,he’s the definition of a luxury signing and perhaps his wage would have spent elsewhere?
He was mom, involved in 2 tries and was the only player in cherry and white that showed any real class and you dont know why we signed him?
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

French is an exciting player who can create something from nothing.
Can’t remember the last time we bought one of them.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:15 am
pedro wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:39 pm

Where has this “French is a fullback” like it’s he’s been playing there all his career come from?

He wasn’t a full back in the NRL and he wasn’t in his games for us last season.

Well we should have brought in someone else then or not bothered recruiting Bibby or retaining Hankinson if Hardaker is going to switch to centre.

We have apparently got three or four centres (if Hardaker is a centre) , and two or three fullbacks if Hardaker is a fullback (and Escare is still here along with French).

And no number 6.
he played plenty at fullback in the NRL, cant remember him playing 6 in the NRL though
I am pretty sure he played a handful of games there but played mostly on the wing in the NRL but was not happy about that and then his NRL career stalled and he went to their second string comp. He said if he didn’t get to play FB he was open to leaving Parramatta is my recollection.

If he wants to play FB so adamantly when we have Hardaker I don’t understand why he was given the no 6 shirt nor why we signed him if he can’t play 6.
Google is a powerful Tool DaveO, he was mainly a fullback in the NRL but could also play wing, he got pushed out of the starting 17 which is why he went to the feeder team.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Im hoping we play tommy/borough and smith in the 17 next week...... obviously so tommy gets spelled at 9/7........ need have a look at smith and borough as they have both impressed me up to now
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Bevan French is a player we Wiganers crave for... someone to get us off our seats and have a buzz about him. Like
Offiah or Vaealiki used to do.

I think he will become indispensable at some point... maybe not but who knows!?
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Bevan French is a class act. Anyone who cannot see that needs to watch the game more.

He is head and shoulders above anyone else in the cherry and white at the moment (and by a long way).

Seriously I do wonder about some posters.
pedro

Post by pedro »

ancientnloyal wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:45 pm Bevan French is a player we Wiganers crave for... someone to get us off our seats and have a buzz about him. Like

well done there, nearly spit my beer out :lol:
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

ancientnloyal wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:45 pm Bevan French is a player we Wiganers crave for... someone to get us off our seats and have a buzz about him. Like

I used to be regularly out of my seat watching Vaealiki but it was usually whilst calling him a lazy lump of Boris Johnson. Now where is the turd emoji?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:15 am
pedro wrote: he played plenty at fullback in the NRL, cant remember him playing 6 in the NRL though
I am pretty sure he played a handful of games there but played mostly on the wing in the NRL but was not happy about that and then his NRL career stalled and he went to their second string comp. He said if he didn’t get to play FB he was open to leaving Parramatta is my recollection.

If he wants to play FB so adamantly when we have Hardaker I don’t understand why he was given the no 6 shirt nor why we signed him if he can’t play 6.
Google is a powerful Tool DaveO, he was mainly a fullback in the NRL but could also play wing, he got pushed out of the starting 17 which is why he went to the feeder team.
Google is a powerful tool but that doesn’t stop people ignoring what it delivers like why he asked to leave parramatta which was lack of opportunity to play fb. Because he was being picked to play on the wing.

It also doesn’t stop people ignoring points people make either such as if he’s a fullback and nothing else why did we sign him when we already have one of the best ones in SL and need a 6 and a 9?

He’s a luxury signing and I think he’s thinking far ahead of at least half our team in most plays. He’s great but we have no one up to the job of playing 6 nor 9 at the right level. If he can play 6, his number, then great. If he’s going to do the same again and complain if he can’t play full back, well like I said before we are overloaded in several positions in the backs but have no 6.