Thompson to leave Saints

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
fozzieskem

Thompson to leave Saints

Post by fozzieskem »

southportcdm

Re: Thompson to leave Saints

Post by southportcdm »

Sad to see Super League lose another star but I'm pleased that saints will have to start paying the price of success like we. Interesting that they didn't think it worth making him a marquee or perhaps he just wanted the adventure.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

southportcdm wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:32 pm Sad to see Super League lose another star but I'm pleased that saints will have to start paying the price of success like we. Interesting that they didn't think it worth making him a marquee or perhaps he just wanted the adventure.
Have to say he’s the type of player you throw the kitchen sink at in terms of money to try and keep but as you say maybe he did just fancy somewhere new,think he will go like a train over there tbh
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Now they will know what it feels like to lose a good young player!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Best English prop we’ve had for a while. Be missed but glad saints are losing him
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:57 pm Now they will know what it feels like to lose a good young player!
Yes and I wonder if any more Saints players will follow? We seemed to be the only team to suffer at one stage and it was almost as if the "defectors" were telling the Aussie agents which Wigan player to sign next!
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Big difference seemed to be that McManus forced them to honour there contracts where as we let them go with an option to re-sign should they return.
Can see Thompson being the first of a few; plus I don’t imagine Roby has long left and will Coote want / get a new contract once his expires?
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ManxWarrior wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:47 pm Big difference seemed to be that McManus forced them to honour there contracts where as we let them go with an option to re-sign should they return.
The linked article quotes McMannus as saying they would "roll out the red carpet" if he chose to return so while he's not spun it as some option to re-sign the player, they would obviously be interested if he came back but yes, a significant difference is they didn't try and sell him last season or prior to this to get some cash!

None of this nonsense about if he wants to leave we'd better let him go now. That's just an excuse to allow Wigan to cash in in my opinion.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I think we should approach him to offer a better "marquee" status than Saints, should he subsequently return to SL, be a major signing for us, as not all players settle for long in a new country. He'd be a huge asset in our front row.