Warrington v Saints

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
morley pie eater

Re: Warrington v Saints

Post by morley pie eater »

Re Saints being nilled:

Many of you will know Andy Greg's story about the 1989 final (27 - 0).

After Greg's retirement he often got asked to do end-of-season presentations at local clubs. One time at Newton le Willows, he was answering questions from the audience, and someone came up with "Which was your favourite match?"

Well prepared and aware that there were sure to be Saints fans present, Greg replies "It was at Wembley in 1989 when we beat Saints 28-0."

Sure enough, someone took the bait: "It wasn't 28-0, it was 27-0!"

Andy replies "That's right....I always remember the NIL, but forget the 27!"
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:10 am Re Saints being nilled:

Many of you will know Andy Greg's story about the 1989 final (27 - 0).

After Greg's retirement he often got asked to do end-of-season presentations at local clubs. One time at Newton le Willows, he was answering questions from the audience, and someone came up with "Which was your favourite match?"

Well prepared and aware that there were sure to be Saints fans present, Greg replies "It was at Wembley in 1989 when we beat Saints 28-0."

Sure enough, someone took the bait: "It wasn't 28-0, it was 27-0!"

Andy replies "That's right....I always remember the NIL, but forget the 27!"
😂
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:44 am
ian.birchall wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:56 am Whisper it quietly but after their defensive/offloading display last night and their 12 man display v Wigan, when let's be honest they played the more exciting rugby, this really could be their year.
Wire will run out of steam again and injuries will play there part in the long run...... i honestly dont think they got the strength in depth for the long run...... as for gelling, wait till half way through the season when he starts to slack and get lazy in defence....... his silly pass nearly got saints back in the game last nite
As much as I hate to admit it I have to disagree regarding strength in depth. Through manipulating the salary cap, I think Wire have built a very strong and competitive team this season. Fingers crossed it isn't their year :lol:
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Wire were good when down to 12 v us. Hill's sending off galvanised their team. However, their defence wasn't that good when they had 13 on the field. It wasn't great defence when French scored and the inside pass from Hastings to Powell cut them open and Sam was only denied a try by Hill fouling him.

It's a long season and they haven't lasted the pace in past seasons. Still, we never know about 2020!
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:01 pm Wire were good when down to 12 v us. Hill's sending off galvanised their team. However, their defence wasn't that good when they had 13 on the field. It wasn't great defence when French scored and the inside pass from Hastings to Powell cut them open and Sam was only denied a try by Hill fouling him.

It's a long season and they haven't lasted the pace in past seasons. Still, we never know about 2020!
Not sure about that Ted. They were certainly determined to keep the NIL in the last 90 seconds or so.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:31 pm
Firestarter wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:44 am
ian.birchall wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:56 am Whisper it quietly but after their defensive/offloading display last night and their 12 man display v Wigan, when let's be honest they played the more exciting rugby, this really could be their year.
Wire will run out of steam again and injuries will play there part in the long run...... i honestly dont think they got the strength in depth for the long run...... as for gelling, wait till half way through the season when he starts to slack and get lazy in defence....... his silly pass nearly got saints back in the game last nite
As much as I hate to admit it I have to disagree regarding strength in depth. Through manipulating the salary cap, I think Wire have built a very strong and competitive team this season. Fingers crossed it isn't their year :lol:
I

It certainly wont be ours after the shite we served up last night
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Ian, I was mentioning the game between us and Wire. I wasn't convinced their defence was that good when 13 a side. They did well when down to 12 and 11 and it was that spirit they took into the Saints game.

Didn't see the Saints v Wire game but just the comments by the Saints coach at the end when he said they completed at around 50%. No one's going to win many game completing at 50% and Saints didn't come close.