Actual squad v Toronto

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Actual squad v Toronto

Post by Southern Softy »

jackthelad wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:48 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:55 am French has said that he prefers to play at full-back as a more free role. I think the club should find a way of using his pace - we're not really seeing it so far. I don't see why he couldn't make breaks from right centre just as well. Hardaker seems to have more vision at full-back.
The way we play again this year, the right flank is the place to be. It always seems to be the preferred option. Poor old Jake Bibby must be wondering why he bothered to sign.
Poor jake bibby you cant be serious? what about Hankinson he is the one who is being left out in favour of bibby cos of his marquee mate calling the shots and Lam is also pampering to French to let him play FB when it should be Zak

So the right centre for me should be Hankinson. Lam will need to find a position for Frenchy, alot are suggesting he would be explosive in the halves?

What I can say, is on the evidence of the past few games this NEW flair and exciting brand of open rugby has NOT been on display

This is Lam's team now and hes had a full preseason so where is the excitement promised by Lam?
I like Hankinson - he seems to be the kind of player who works at his game to improve. Eventually, I thought he would fit into the right-side second-row slot and his kicking would be important. I was only thinking about Bibby in that when you join a club, you want to make an impression and he just isn't getting enough ball so far.
At the moment, we have too many players being squeezed in because they are on the books. I personally like Joe Burgess (I know I'm in the minority) but it might be worth trying French out on the wing if he really can't play right centre because Zak is definitely better at full-back - he seems to have sorted his problem out under the high ball. What happens when Olly and Dom get back is anyone's guess.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:
DaveO wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:34 pm
morley pie eater wrote:Looks like many posters have got their wish - maybe Lam reads the posts?

Looks to me like Tommy at 9 with Bourouh to spell him, and Smith at 7.

French
Marshall
Zak
Bibby
Budgie
Hastings
Smith
Bullock, Clark, Clubb, Partington, Byrne, Smithies, Havard, Lockers,
Faz, Isa, Greenwood,
Borough. Leuluai, Hankinson.

Hope all who said play Greenwood/Bullock/Tommy at 9/Smith/ Hanky and drop Powell are proved right.
No one said “drop Powell” as far as I am aware and I didn’t think he’d been dropped but not cleared to play anyway.

Personally I don’t think he’s good enough (along with Isa) but I realise he will be an automatic pick when fit and given Tommy is not the player he once was it’s actually making the best of a bad job when he does play. Tommy needs to retire and we need a better 9 than Powell but we are where we are.

In any case we have yet to see who the final 17 is. I’d be surprised if all three of Bullock, Clarke and Greenwood are picked but even if they are are you opposed to this?

I mean do you think it’s right to pick Clubb + juniors again?

If he does pick all three and they are no better than the kids at least we will know but we aren’t going to find out with senior players including a new signing sat in the stands.
Dave, I don't think anything I wrote suggests that I'm opposed to anybody playing?

I have my own favourites but, in general, I tend to work on the assumption that the coach and players know a little bit more than me about form, fitness, attitude and who best fits the game plan. I accept that they don't always get it right, but, not being a qualified or experienced coach, I'd would make more of a mess of it than them. So, just as I wouldn't appreciate someone telling me how to do my job....

My post was kind of saying that without Sam P and possibly including the players who many have been rooting for, it will be a chance to see who's right. Then again, Toronto have 0/2 and no SBW, so our reserves might be in with a chance?
The question was what are the alternatives to Clubb + four junior props?

It didn’t work at Cas nor v Warrington so if he did pick all the experienced players and they flop it doesn’t prove who is right, it shows us we have not got the squad and coach we thought we had because neither option is good enough.

And please, not this “the coach knows best” tack. It’s a logical fallacy and no basis for a discussion. You either have an opinion on his selections and tactics etc or you don’t and if you say “the coach knows best” that does not address the question. Saying in effect “Just because he’s the coach” is a deflection to authority.

Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Id Say french is an outstanding fullback.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:44 pm Id Say french is an outstanding fullback.
If anyone doubts him as a fullback then they must be blind
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Didn’t see the game as I’m at work. Has Lam philosophy starting to show yet? From what I’ve read it seems like Hastings and french can bring this team to life?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Barney841 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:49 pm Didn’t see the game as I’m at work. Has Lam philosophy starting to show yet? From what I’ve read it seems like Hastings and french can bring this team to life?
Its steady progress barney...... we struggleda bit in the first half...... i still think we are wasting subs with lockers but, in fairness he did have a good first stint......the ref had a very dodgy spell after half time, he list the plot completely at one point........ french was class...... so was hastings( hes gonna be something else i reckon)....... bullock made a massive difference to our go forward........ burgess wasnt good but hopefully his try will get his confidence back......... i also though partington and faz put in really good shifts tonite......I honestly think if we keep up there till the business end, we will win something this year......ohhh also smith gives us more options playing seven and can only get better
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

French was outstanding and there seems to be a growing understanding between French, Hastings, Farrell and Burgess. Our attack looked left for the first time this year and it paid off. Smith was good and most played well. Clark looked a handful. Bobby wanted his first try too much and can't see him troubling Olly when he's fit. Full marks to Toronto for never giving up and causing us a whole lot of problems.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Southern Softy wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:07 pm French was outstanding and there seems to be a growing understanding between French, Hastings, Farrell and Burgess. Our attack looked left for the first time this year and it paid off. Smith was good and most played well. Clark looked a handful. Bobby wanted his first try too much and can't see him troubling Olly when he's fit. Full marks to Toronto for never giving up and causing us a whole lot of problems.
I think Bibby was more to do with Burgess being poor.

The lad needs a stint in reserves to build back up.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:44 pm Id Say french is an outstanding fullback.

I agree totally,quick thinking,fast off the mark with a great step off both feet
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

old hooker wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:19 pm

I agree totally,quick thinking,fast off the mark with a great step off both feet
Classiest player we've had for many seasons, together with Hastings they're the two making things happen. All the others need to get a hold of their clothe tails and we'll be a team to reckon with.