Is Lam the real deal or not?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Is Lam the real deal or not?

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

My thoughts were at the moment we are being saved a lot by French and others individual skill.

On the game the scoreline flattered us but there were some positives being French and Hastings (who is growing with each game). Bullock caused them a lot of problems with his size and Clark but in a decent shift.
I thought smith was exceptional given his experience and looks like a very bright talent - he showed he has a lot of tricks in his locker

On the negatives Burgess was poor 90% of the night the try saved him from having a shocker and obivously the team movement is still poor.

We are very flat as a team which gives other teams a free ride the French try with the pass from Farrell was a good move but we need to see more of that.

We dont have good ruck speed either - 9/10 we pass long from dummy half which means the oppos defences has a 5 yard head start on us we need to play faster and tighter around the ruck to speed up getting down field. Look at how the Aussies play down field they dont lash it out 10-15yards is short passes to a running prop or scooting
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I agree with the comments of the last couple of posters, poor at first but some signs of progress. I hope we can keep giving Smith game time, he's promising and we'll probably need him to start next season if not always this. Our lack of speed at the ruck has been a problem for years and I don't understand why we don't take more advantage of these 'easy' yards like so many other teams. The Hull game will be a much sterner test.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I wouldn't drop Smith when Sam comes back. Give him a decent run and see how he develops. We've got a great backline developing this season. Shame Hastings may only be around for one year.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Sad to say i think Lockers is a shadow of the player he was and Clubb must have a guardian angel or he has had the coach hypnotised to make him think he is the best prop in Wigan Bullock looked like a real prop making ground in every drive , which made Clubb look even worse
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

ddtftf wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:42 am Sad to say i think Lockers is a shadow of the player he was and Clubb must have a guardian angel or he has had the coach hypnotised to make him think he is the best prop in Wigan Bullock looked like a real prop making ground in every drive , which made Clubb look even worse
Bullock and Clark coming on turned that game, the youngsters couldnt break tackles, clubb was a passanger sadly, but i thought lockers was going good, nothing flash but still worth a spot.

If Lam doesnt have Bullock in the team each week he needs to give his head a wobble
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote:I wouldn't drop Smith when Sam comes back. Give him a decent run and see how he develops.
I’d be surprised if he plays next week v Hull and to be honest despite the fact he already looks a great addition to the side I think that is an ideal game to rest him.

I think we are going to struggle against their size and if our pack despite hopefully Bullock and Clark playing against gets beaten which I expect to happen, we may as well use the game to spell Smith.
saint

Post by saint »

As a neutral watching the game last night it . I was bored to tears and generally concerned for the direction our game is going in .

You know you team better than i do but that was not a performance id expect from a Wigan team .

Going forward , your pack is utterly woful . I mentioned prior to the season started that your pack is way to light in terms of quality . And its actually much worse than that . The back line seems disjointed and no plan A never mind plan B

I genuinely saddened at the quality of our game in the first few rounds . Wigan are the big hitters in our game and last night you looked like Amateurs for much of the game ( in the same way, we did last week)

Could be a long dreary season for you guys . As a rugby fan , i sincerely hope not
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:18 am My thoughts were at the moment we are being saved a lot by French and others individual skill.

On the game the scoreline flattered us but there were some positives being French and Hastings (who is growing with each game). Bullock caused them a lot of problems with his size and Clark but in a decent shift.
I thought smith was exceptional given his experience and looks like a very bright talent - he showed he has a lot of tricks in his locker

On the negatives Burgess was poor 90% of the night the try saved him from having a shocker and obivously the team movement is still poor.

We are very flat as a team which gives other teams a free ride the French try with the pass from Farrell was a good move but we need to see more of that.

We dont have good ruck speed either - 9/10 we pass long from dummy half which means the oppos defences has a 5 yard head start on us we need to play faster and tighter around the ruck to speed up getting down field. Look at how the Aussies play down field they dont lash it out 10-15yards is short passes to a running prop or scooting
There lies the problem, we have very few props who make the hard yards.
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
shaunedwardsfanclub

DaveO wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:52 am
Mike wrote:I wouldn't drop Smith when Sam comes back. Give him a decent run and see how he develops.
I’d be surprised if he plays next week v Hull and to be honest despite the fact he already looks a great addition to the side I think that is an ideal game to rest him.

I think we are going to struggle against their size and if our pack despite hopefully Bullock and Clark playing against gets beaten which I expect to happen, we may as well use the game to spell Smith.
Those two need to play as does Byrne. I would expect us to go with three props and Smithies on the bench against Hull. If Powell is fit then I don't think Smith will make the 17.
shaunedwardsfanclub

ddtftf wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:42 am Sad to say i think Lockers is a shadow of the player he was and Clubb must have a guardian angel or he has had the coach hypnotised to make him think he is the best prop in Wigan Bullock looked like a real prop making ground in every drive , which made Clubb look even worse
That is spot on D. The game changed when Bullock came on. I have been a big fan of Lockers but your right, he together with Clubb are not offering enough to warrant a place in this side.