Cricket to terminate Kolpak registrations at the end of 2020 season

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
DaveO

Cricket to terminate Kolpak registrations at the end of 2020 season

Post by DaveO »

As with the title, in cricket, the England and Wales Cricket Board has informed clubs that all Kolpak registrations will be terminated at the end of the 2020 season. And at the risk of having to ban myself for mentioning something that is a bit political it's because of Brexit when the transition period comes to an end.

The Kolpak ruling states that citizens from countries that have signed European Union Association Agreements have the same right to freedom, work and movement within the European Union as the citizens of all its member countries. Since we have left, the England and Wales Cricket Board have acted as they have. RL must decide what to do.

So ignoring the politics the important question is do we have any Kolpak players and how will it affect us and our rivals? I think Isa and maybe Clark qualify as Kolpack for us.

Clubs can have an overseas quotas of five anyway so we could always give any we have a slot on that provided they can get a visa to work here of course. Our overseas players will, come 2020, include Navarette, Escare, French, Isa and Clark. Have I missed anyone? The jury is still out on Clark and apart from French the rest including Isa aren't good enough to use a quota spot up in my opinion.

As for other clubs I always think Hull seem to sign quite a few who may be Kolpak but I am not sure which would be most affected.

What I don't want to see is an increase in the overseas quota. The Kolapk rule was a loophole that was abused by some clubs (Bradford springs to mind) to get around the quota.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Cricket to terminate Kolpak registrations at the end of 2020 season

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Isa might be Kolpac I don't know but I thought Clark was born here in the UK.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

In my mind, if Kolpac registrations become limited, Hull, alongside Wakefield, will be in trouble with all their Tongan, Samoan star signings.
Clubs will have to be more choosy if this issue becomes regulated, as in cricket, and I wouldn't have Isa, for instance, take up one of these spots at Wigan ( I don't think he's broken a tackle in all the time he's been here, and that's a shocking stat for a 2nd Rower).
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Nezza Faz wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:41 am In my mind, if Kolpac registrations become limited, Hull, alongside Wakefield, will be in trouble with all their Tongan, Samoan star signings.
Clubs will have to be more choosy if this issue becomes regulated, as in cricket, and I wouldn't have Isa, for instance, take up one of these spots at Wigan ( I don't think he's broken a tackle in all the time he's been here, and that's a shocking stat for a 2nd Rower).
Two coaches now see Isa not as a squad player but a bone dude first team player,he’s going nowhere
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote:
Nezza Faz wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:41 am In my mind, if Kolpac registrations become limited, Hull, alongside Wakefield, will be in trouble with all their Tongan, Samoan star signings.
Two coaches now see Isa not as a squad player but a bone dude first team player,he’s going nowhere
God knows why. Never passes and isn’t big enough to break a tackle. Like other average players he can look good against poor teams but is shown up for what he is against the better sides. In the playoffs last year he was dire. IL will probably give him a five year contract.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:24 am
Well he's out of contract at the end of the season so unless someone's dozy enough to throw a 2 year deal at him this should be his last season
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:41 pm Isa might be Kolpac I don't know but I thought Clark was born here in the UK.
Correct Ted
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Why is it ending
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote:Why is it ending
If you mean why is Kolpak ending, the reason is in the second paragraph of my original post in the thread.