Is Lam the real deal or not?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Is Lam the real deal or not?

Post by Firestarter »

Lockers and tommy looking tired defensively...... getting caught out more and more as time is passing ........ time to start with smithies for me
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

It's hard to make a real judgement because Warrington and Toronto are so different in terms of quality but I thought Bullock and especially Clark, looked more impressive than our younger props who are still learning. Doesn't mean that Byrne, Partington and Havard won't eventually be better players but at the moment I'd play the stronger ones and maybe rotate the younger ones on the bench and the reserves. Promise is all very well but points are more important. Smithies is the exception - young and impressive - definitely the real deal and I'm assuming that SOL will be out for a while so, Smithies is the ideal No 13.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:12 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:18 am My thoughts were at the moment we are being saved a lot by French and others individual skill.

On the game the scoreline flattered us but there were some positives being French and Hastings (who is growing with each game). Bullock caused them a lot of problems with his size and Clark but in a decent shift.
I thought smith was exceptional given his experience and looks like a very bright talent - he showed he has a lot of tricks in his locker

On the negatives Burgess was poor 90% of the night the try saved him from having a shocker and obivously the team movement is still poor.

We are very flat as a team which gives other teams a free ride the French try with the pass from Farrell was a good move but we need to see more of that.

We dont have good ruck speed either - 9/10 we pass long from dummy half which means the oppos defences has a 5 yard head start on us we need to play faster and tighter around the ruck to speed up getting down field. Look at how the Aussies play down field they dont lash it out 10-15yards is short passes to a running prop or scooting
There lies the problem, we have very few props who make the hard yards.
The system isnt playing to that though which isnt helping.

From the second the player plays the ball the defensive line is allowed to approach, at the moment we are spinning 10-15 yard passes from the ruck most times the props recieve the ball from a standing or jogging start so by the time they get level with the POTB they are met with an approaching line.

Contrast that to a prop hitting a short pass on the shoulder of the hooker they are level with the POTB at full tilt before the defensive line has started advancing properly. Saints at their best are masters of this they play their props close to the ruck its very effective. If youre passing back too far from the POTB youre putting yourself in negative meters straight away
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

One additional thing i think we can bring a close to the Jake shorrocks future argument now Smith showed more in that game than Shorrocks has managed in all his appearances, unfortunately in a cap based sport there's no room for him
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

The first half was the same lazy inside balls, five drives and a kick stuff that we can't seem to get away from, but after kendall had basically given them the first ten minutes second half I thought we improved massively.
Once our runners learn to get on Hastings shoulder I think we can only improve, its only Feb and we're not known for our fast starts to the season.
Once we quickened up the play the ball it was a different game.
I'm hopeful for now.