Williams shines on debut

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Williams shines on debut

Post by josie andrews »

George Williams produced an assured display as his Canberra Raiders side won their opening NRL game 24-6 against Gold Coast Titans.

The England international halfback, who signed for the Raiders from Wigan for 2020, played 80 minutes, made two line breaks and showcased his quality kicking game, as the Raiders picked up where they left off after a successful 2019, defeating Justin Holbrook’s Titans side.

“I’m really excited about having George,” Raiders coach Ricky Stuart said after the game.

“He’s a threat, he has a great kicking game and as you’ve seen tonight, he’s a tough defender.

“He’s going to make our team better. You don’t want to sing their praises too much but I’ve been really excited by what I’ve seen.”

https://www.totalrl.com/williams-shines ... ders-debut
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Re: Williams shines on debut

Post by southportcdm »

Really pleased for George, I hope he has a great season too but I wouldn't swap Jackson for him.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

He played really well( at seven)..... his best position, first receiver . imo.....pity gold coast spoiled the second half with countless forward passes and standing offside persistently....... throw in a few head high shots...... anybody would think there coach had seen saints play....... ooooh wait
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

He was always a 7 in the academy 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:08 pm He was always a 7 in the academy 😊
How good were Williams and Hampshire in that side.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Looks like the Aussies have assessed his strengths and play him accordingly. It sounds so simple, but how often do we see it here?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I was really pleased to see him do well. I always said that I think the NRL will improve him as a player; the frustrating thing at Wigan was that he didn;t seem to really kick on to become a more rounded player. And yes, I think Hastings is certainly that right now. Wighton rightly will have stolen the headlines (although he, like the team in general, faded in the second half), but a good start. I will really look forward to watching him this year.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Also, the ability is up-end attackers in short order is something the Aussies always prize, and he showed plenty of that. Did miss one tackle that I remember, but overall, very good.