Postponed until April?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jaws1

Re: Postponed until April?

Post by jaws1 »

I expect this to be longer than April 6th
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I'm not sure how much of a financial hit SL clubs will suffer, but they'll certainly take a loss on game day 'walk-ups', but I'd have thought in recent times, the majority of fans attending are Season Ticket holders who have mostly paid upfront ?

This is probably a lot different to the smaller Champ and Lge 1 clubs, who'd rely more so on roll ups on the day.

I think there'll be a casualty or two, unfortunately, before all this settles back down. I see that Scottish RU have started an urgent public appeal to support financially their clubs, I wonder if that would be appropriate for RL fans to do, to prevent clubs going under ?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

jaws1 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:03 pm I expect this to be longer than April 6th
I agree. I fear we may not see any sport for quite a while.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I reckon mid-August time might be a realistic date for some things to resume.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

moto748 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:49 am
jaws1 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:03 pm I expect this to be longer than April 6th
Grand National cancelled
Isle of Man TT cancelled
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

jaws1 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:32 am
moto748 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:49 am
Grand National cancelled
Isle of Man TT cancelled
From the govs press response they want to hold off people catching it until summer when the demand on the NHS is less, i can see the removing the restrictions mid spring.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Nezza Faz wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:15 am I'm not sure how much of a financial hit SL clubs will suffer, but they'll certainly take a loss on game day 'walk-ups', but I'd have thought in recent times, the majority of fans attending are Season Ticket holders who have mostly paid upfront ?

This is probably a lot different to the smaller Champ and Lge 1 clubs, who'd rely more so on roll ups on the day.

I think there'll be a casualty or two, unfortunately, before all this settles back down. I see that Scottish RU have started an urgent public appeal to support financially their clubs, I wonder if that would be appropriate for RL fans to do, to prevent clubs going under ?
Depends on the ST fans though, some will accept it cant be helped others will demand refunds or compensation.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

It can’t be helped IMO. I won’t be demanding a refund on my ST or my Wakefield ticket already purchased 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:01 pm the bigger worry about this is some of the clubs without a rich owner footing losses.

how are Salford/Wakefield/Cas/hull kr going to cope without ticket sales. i imagine Wigan/Leeds/Saints/Warrington/Hull are going to struggle as well but this could cause havoic with alot of peoples lives.
Couldn't agree more, especially with McManus stating how strong Stains are financially both codes (whether this is true or not), he is correct about the sustainability of less prolific clubs.

Also when you take into consideration this suspension could very well be long-term, I hope ALL clubs at ALL levels receive justified support!
jobo

Post by jobo »

I'd bet you're right.
Going off what's already occurred, the opinion seems to point to infections peaking around the tail end of May in Britain.
It's approaching 4 months since China had the first case and it's only now that they are getting single figure increases.