People are just fecking mental!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
DaveO

Re: People are just fecking mental!

Post by DaveO »

Well if this bloody virus hasn’t convinced people social media as in Facebook and Twitter is just full of complete BS I don’t know what will.

When it’s something like politics people have their political allegiances and are more than happy to have their point of view reinforced even with patent nonsense and often outright lies.

When it’s something like this where everyone Is effectively neutral it soon becomes obvious loads of stuff floating around on these platforms is contradictory and that they are awash with all this BS.

I think it highlights how dangerous they are. It’s like Chinese whispers with people repeating half truths resulting in things like the mass panic buying of bog roll!

I learned years ago that just because something is said on the Internet doesn’t mean it’s true. Facebook and Twitter seem to have removed that common sense skepticism from many people’s minds. Maybe the guff about virus might wake at least a few people up to the fact these platforms are very poor sources of solid, factual information.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

I think that the TV companies have missed a trick. With the death of Max Von Sydow this would have been the perfect time to show "The Seventh Seal". They could have followed it up with other relevant and uplifting themed films like 28 Days Later.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Levrier wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:57 pm I think that the TV companies have missed a trick. With the death of Max Von Sydow this would have been the perfect time to show "The Seventh Seal". They could have followed it up with other relevant and uplifting themed films like 28 Days Later.
And Boris could have given his advice in the tone and method of Columbus from Zombieland.
jobo

Post by jobo »

thegimble wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:20 pm
Levrier wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:57 pm I think that the TV companies have missed a trick. With the death of Max Von Sydow this would have been the perfect time to show "The Seventh Seal". They could have followed it up with other relevant and uplifting themed films like 28 Days Later.
And Boris could have given his advice in the tone and method of Columbus from Zombieland.
🤣🤣
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

Just been to my local Aldi to get a few things in. Every shelf has a sign saying that you cannot buy more than four of anything because of panic buying. I wonder how many people went in for one of something and saw the sign and came out with four of everything?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Levrier wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:52 pm Just been to my local Aldi to get a few things in. Every shelf has a sign saying that you cannot buy more than four of anything because of panic buying. I wonder how many people went in for one of something and saw the sign and came out with four of everything?
Those sneaky barstewards :D
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Exactly !
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Levrier wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:52 pm Just been to my local Aldi to get a few things in. Every shelf has a sign saying that you cannot buy more than four of anything because of panic buying. I wonder how many people went in for one of something and saw the sign and came out with four of everything?
There is a tweet doing the rounds about Aldi and rationing so for those not on twitter
In light of recent panic buying, UK supermarkets have introduced purchase limits.

Asda: 2 hand sanitisers, 24 toilet roles max.

Tesco: 1 hand sanitiser, 18 toilet roles and 2Kg rice.

Co-op: 12 rolls toilet paper, 1Kg rice.

Aldi: 2 Trumpets, 1 diving suit and a MIG welder.
:lol:
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

:lol: Class!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I hope the people panicking never read the Flu stats - they'd faint

Covid19 deaths world wide in 6 months 8,997
Generic Flu 290,000 - 650.000 EVERY YEAR!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure