Jackson Hastings talks about possible NRL future

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Jackson Hastings talks about possible NRL future

Post by josie andrews »

Jackson Hastings has spoken about the prospect of returning to the NRL.

The halfback, who is seven games into his Wigan career, says he would "definitely" take the chance if the right club was interested in him.

In a wide-ranging interview with Fox League, the 24-year-old said: "I've got a two year deal with Wigan, it's well publicised there's a get-out clause if an NRL club does come in.

"The big thing for me is going to a club where I'm going to help them and they're going to help me, as opposed to going back for the sake of it.

I don't want to go back and be a role player. My maturity as a rugby league player, I'm way better than I was, if the opportunity does arise and it's the right club I'd definitely take it, I think."

Hastings revived his career with Salford, landing the Steve Prescott Man of Steel last year, having split from Manly. He previously played for Sydney Roosters.

"It's definitely something I want to do, the NRL is the pinnacle," said Hastings, who says he intends to honour his marquee deal with the Warriors.

"It's a competition I didn't get to prove myself in, no one saw the best of Jackson Hastings, whereas over here they have."

Hastings has been given permission to return to Australia during the coronavirus crisis but has decided to stay for the time being, saying he didn't want to potentially risk unknowingly passing the disease to his family.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... re-2517102
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Jackson Hastings talks about possible NRL future

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Old warrior Mike

Post by Old warrior Mike »

This is not what we want to hear already.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Old warrior Mike wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:06 pm This is not what we want to hear already.
Its not and again its not endearing himself to the Wigan faithful

Its seems like to me he has come here with the focus of boosting his chances of a NRL gig his heart really doesnt seem to be in it for us which is a little disappointing.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

similarly though things like this arent going to help - lifted from his twitter yesterday
A lot of uneducated & abusive tweets being sent to me. Listen to the whole interview not the 40 seconds you’re fixated on.
Whose to say my family won’t move over & I play my career out here.
Jog on, Enjoy the sunshine and stay safe and healthy! JH ✌🏼
Now its one thing us discussing things on here as fans but to target him is not on and unlikely to make him want to stay.

I dont doubt he gives 100% for us as a professional but again i dont feel like his heart is in it like it was at salford

Additionally though he needs to understand at a lower club like salford you will always stand out as a superstar - at Wigan he isnt automatically the golden child we have had plenty of top end players so just being good alone isnt going to make you shine in the same way as it does at a smaller club
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jao711

Post by jao711 »

I’ll definarely take it,I think. Sounds a bit “definately maybe”.Anyway those rich NRL clubs seem to be in a worse state than Superleague unless they are just crying poverty.
jao711

Post by jao711 »

But it could also suggest he’s testing the water.Either way He will play his contract out.I think.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

jao711 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:24 pm I’ll definarely take it,I think. Sounds a bit “definately maybe”.Anyway those rich NRL clubs seem to be in a worse state than Superleague unless they are just crying poverty.
Have a look at this. They hade funds but squandered them. NRL could be in real trouble.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/broken ... 54cix.html
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

thegimble wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:06 pm
jao711 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:24 pm I’ll definarely take it,I think. Sounds a bit “definately maybe”.Anyway those rich NRL clubs seem to be in a worse state than Superleague unless they are just crying poverty.
Have a look at this. They hade funds but squandered them. NRL could be in real trouble.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/broken ... 54cix.html
Might see some star players over here next season then
moto748

Post by moto748 »

That makes sobering reading, I had no idea the NRL's financial position was so poor. And, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, they appear to have squandered a lot of money.

BUT, it seems to me, what the NRL have, and the English game lacks, is a massive audience who want to watch league on TV. Bottom line, I'd still much rather be in their shoes than ours.