The rest of the season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy

The rest of the season

Post by pearsy »

What is the opinion for the rest of the season will they right it off or play two games a week.If it's finished is it the end of SOL career as a player?
Wiganer Ted

Re: The rest of the season

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Don't think they can afford to write off the season. No games from now to February 2021? Don't think so.

I think two games a week if possible as the Gov't are now talking about easing restrictions in 3-6 weeks. When large gathering will be allowed that could be some time after that. Sport plays a large in the UK and the Gov't are well aware of that.

Maybe a late July/August start, who knows?
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

If the season can get going by the end of June, the season should get finished.
Drop the challenge cup for this season
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Id like to think the season will commence again at some point this year! All things considered, I suppose playing more than one round weekly will help complete the season.

Think everything is up in the air though. Has magic been officially postponed/cancelled? Will the CC take place? Read an article stating the CC final will be played at Old Trafford and the Grand Final at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium?

All speculation until the government announces the appropriate way forwards.

As for SOL, I was wondering myself if he would consider playing in 2021 (working on the basis this season wont be completed). The man is a club and rugby legend full stop! However, he clearly doesn't have the match fitness of a seasoned NRL forward such as Paul Gallen or Steve Menzies who played well into their late 30s/40. The way I see it, he will be 12 months older and Morgan Smithies stats speak for themselves!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I'm not sure there is any need to "complete" the season. What I mean by that is we don't have to finish all the scheduled rounds because we have the luxury of an already "unfair" qualification league for a playoff-based championship. So we just have to play as many rounds pre-playoffs as we can in the time we have, then go straight into the playoffs. If we like, we can even expand the playoffs by two weeks and add 4 more teams. The only issue with this plan is lack of revenue, but like others I think its unlikely that they will recover all lost revenue by playing mutliple times a week for a sustained period.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Or we do away with the play offs altogether

we run a straight league so a round robin of everyone playing eachother twice

If OT is needed then make it the top two
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:47 pm Or we do away with the play offs altogether

I think they will "complete" the season.

Play the games behind closed doors and make them pay per view.

Job done.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wintergreen wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:53 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:47 pm Or we do away with the play offs altogether

I think they will "complete" the season.

Play the games behind closed doors and make them pay per view.

Job done.
If the games have to be played behind closed doors because social distancing means fans can’t go to games as it is deemed not safe to do so I don’t see how the sport can expect the players and coaching staff to put themselves at risk.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

The very last thing to come back will be sports events with large crowds. Even one infected person in a crowd can lead to a spike in untraceable cases. We'll all be back at work way before sporting events are back. I reckon they won't have any option but to play behind closed doors if they want to restart before we have drug treatments and or a vaccine, and that could be a year away.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Why get rid of a feature of our sport that is ideal for this situation? Cramming in 22 round between September and end of October isn't really going to work IMO, and I reckon that's quite an optimistic time line if the clubs want to wait until crowds are allowed back.

Maybe we extend and have a mini winter season with boxing day games and stuff, but logistics may get the the way of that with clubs sharing with football teams.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐