The rest of the season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Levrier

Re: The rest of the season

Post by Levrier »

Problem is that by then a lot of players will be out of contract and may even have signed for new teams. It also throws up salary cap issues that will need to be addressed.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:31 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:53 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:47 pm Or we do away with the play offs altogether

we run a straight league so a round robin of everyone playing eachother twice

If OT is needed then make it the top two
I think they will "complete" the season.

Play the games behind closed doors and make them pay per view.

Job done.
If the games have to be played behind closed doors because social distancing means fans can’t go to games as it is deemed not safe to do so I don’t see how the sport can expect the players and coaching staff to put themselves at risk.
??? Seriously?
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Wintergreen wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:21 am
DaveO wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:31 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:53 pm

I think they will "complete" the season.

Play the games behind closed doors and make them pay per view.

Job done.
If the games have to be played behind closed doors because social distancing means fans can’t go to games as it is deemed not safe to do so I don’t see how the sport can expect the players and coaching staff to put themselves at risk.
??? Seriously?
Yes Winter, because how do we know if the players/coaches etc. are not infected, or asymptomatic, and thus unknowingly pass the virus on, in which case it will most probably spread to the rest of the camp, and so in the next 2 weeks there'd be another serious problem once again.
Possibly the only solution is to test the players, but there's a much more serious need elsewhere for Testing measures, so that would be a long term initiative.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Because the chances and consequences of 23 + addons transmitting the virus impact the country a lot less than 20,000 people sat together inside a stadium.....
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I was, and I think DaveO also, that we presumed anyway that "behind closed doors" was a given. But I was trying to emphasize the extra risks of having players running around on a field, always in close proximity to each other, possibly already infected, or infecting, with the virus (without testing).
And the 23+ numbers you mention, are of course doubled, and it only needs one of those to spread this infection.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Nezza Faz wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:19 pm I was, and I think DaveO also, that we presumed anyway that "behind closed doors" was a given. But I was trying to emphasize the extra risks of having players running around on a field, always in close proximity to each other, possibly already infected, or infecting, with the virus (without testing).
And the 23+ numbers you mention, are of course doubled, and it only needs one of those to spread this infection.

Social distancing is not primarily about "putting yourself at risk". It's about preventing a spike in cases that would overwhelm the NHS.

A RL team consists of young, fit players. As close to zero risk as you can probably get.

Unlike the spectator fan base...........
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Mike wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:12 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:47 pm Or we do away with the play offs altogether

we run a straight league so a round robin of everyone playing eachother twice

If OT is needed then make it the top two
Why get rid of a feature of our sport that is ideal for this situation? Cramming in 22 round between September and end of October isn't really going to work IMO, and I reckon that's quite an optimistic time line if the clubs want to wait until crowds are allowed back.

Maybe we extend and have a mini winter season with boxing day games and stuff, but logistics may get the the way of that with clubs sharing with football teams.
But there is only 13 fixtures left not 22? weve played 7 rounds already

to have the 13 fixtures and then a play off system bumps up the number of fixtures needed because surely in the essence of fairness the minimum fixture you list you can complete is everyone plays each other once?

unless your suggesting we do a single knock out playoff including every team in the league?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Wintergreen wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:31 pm
Nezza Faz wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:19 pm I was, and I think DaveO also, that we presumed anyway that "behind closed doors" was a given. But I was trying to emphasize the extra risks of having players running around on a field, always in close proximity to each other, possibly already infected, or infecting, with the virus (without testing).

Social distancing is not primarily about "putting yourself at risk". It's about preventing a spike in cases that would overwhelm the NHS.

A RL team consists of young, fit players. As close to zero risk as you can probably get.

Young people are in fact dying and contacting this disease - and now Tom Lineham !
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Nezza Faz wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:39 am

Young people are in fact dying and contacting this disease - and now Tom Lineham !

True, but at nowhere near the levels of older people.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:45 am
Nezza Faz wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:39 am

True, but at nowhere near the levels of older people.
but its not all about the age. Its about restricting the spread of the virus and the impact on the spread

for a single game of rugby you will need 2 match day squads plus coaching staff and officials. so conservatively say 50 in attendance. So that could be 50 fit young people. if they are all in contact with their families (say 4 per family) that is 200 and so on and so forth?

we cant expect to isolate them from society completely so that they can play a game of rugby