The rest of the season

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: The rest of the season

Post by Mike »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:29 am
Mike wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:12 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:47 pm Or we do away with the play offs altogether

we run a straight league so a round robin of everyone playing eachother twice

If OT is needed then make it the top two
Why get rid of a feature of our sport that is ideal for this situation? Cramming in 22 round between September and end of October isn't really going to work IMO, and I reckon that's quite an optimistic time line if the clubs want to wait until crowds are allowed back.

Maybe we extend and have a mini winter season with boxing day games and stuff, but logistics may get the the way of that with clubs sharing with football teams.
But there is only 13 fixtures left not 22? weve played 7 rounds already

to have the 13 fixtures and then a play off system bumps up the number of fixtures needed because surely in the essence of fairness the minimum fixture you list you can complete is everyone plays each other once?

unless your suggesting we do a single knock out playoff including every team in the league?
Its not a "fair" qualification league now so you can play as many games as possible without having to play all of them.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Just seen that Lineham's partner, a nurse at Wigan, has also now contracted the virus.
So another reason why "behind closed doors rugby" has serious implications away from the rugby field.
Testing might help, but we're not going to be top of the list for this facility, for at least some time.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Nezza Faz wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 pm Just seen that Lineham's partner, a nurse at Wigan, has also now contracted the virus.
So another reason why "behind closed doors rugby" has serious implications away from the rugby field.
Testing might help, but we're not going to be top of the list for this facility, for at least some time.
I found the post suggesting that “fit and healthy” rugby players be ok to be ridiculous If I’m honest,I just don’t see the season being completed social distancing is here to stay,it may be (and as a regular away game goer)that away trips have to be stopped for a year or two,if it means we get the sport back then I’m all for it.

One thing is absolutely certain things ain’t going to be as they were.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Nezza Faz wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:34 pm Just seen that Lineham's partner, a nurse at Wigan, has also now contracted the virus.
I can't see this season starting again. A few rounds of behind closed doors RL will spread the virus through all clubs and beyond to their families similar to what as has happened with Lineham's here.

It doesn't matter the players are young and fit. They could be asymptomatic and spread it anyway.

Some countries have handled this far better than the UK so it might be possible for RL to re-start in Oz but if they do it doesn't follow we can do the same.

There are only two ways out of the lock down that won't see a return to infections increasing and deaths going through the roof. Mass vaccination which of course isn't possible as we don't have a vaccine or an exit strategy that includes test trace isolate is in place. The WHO has come up with a six point strategy for ending lockdown:

1. Disease transmission is under control

2. Health systems are able to "detect, test, isolate and treat every case and trace every contact"

3. Hot spot risks are minimized in vulnerable places, such as nursing homes

4. Schools, workplaces and other essential places have established preventive measures

5. The risk of importing new cases "can be managed"

6. Communities are fully educated, engaged and empowered to live under a new normal

We aren't even at 1 yet and there is no sign the government is planning for 2. The work involved to get 2 up and running could take months.

The alternative doesn't bare thinking about, replacing lockdown with nothing as that is back to herd immunity and deaths measured in six figures.

I also think people in general don't realise what the "new normal" is. It may well include restaurants, pubs, gyms and sports venues remaining shut.

When you look into it the idea in three more weeks or so things can start to get back to normal and players can start running around on a rugby pitch is just not realistic.

(Those six points came from here which is well worth a read)
pedro

Post by pedro »

can we finish the season now as the table lies like liverpool want? ;)
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pedro wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:01 pm can we finish the season now as the table lies like liverpool want? ;)
It's the only fair way to do it, Hand Wigan the LLS and crown them Champions :D
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't disagree with anything in your post, Dave, but in practice I doubt govts, especially ours, will be so patient.
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:32 pm
pedro wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:01 pm can we finish the season now as the table lies like liverpool want? ;)
It's the only fair way to do it, Hand Wigan the LLS and crown them Champions :D
:lol: great minds
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Cheered me up no end, as usual Dave :D
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

See King Kevin and Smith want games to be played behind closed doors with every game on tv to be pay for view?Suppose it will get more money for Hethrington