all time favourite teams

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the pieman

Re: all time favourite teams

Post by the pieman »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:09 pm
medlocke wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:18 am Here's a challenge for somebody with more patience than me, How about a list of the best Cumbrians who have played for Wigan
Danny Gardiner at prop for one.
with the Moose on the other side :)
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

the pieman wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:18 pm
medlocke wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:18 am Here's a challenge for somebody with more patience than me, How about a list of the best Cumbrians who have played for Wigan
Has there been enough Cumbrians to make a 13?
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

medlocke wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:48 pm

just googled and found this from 2018 based on players at the time. Moose made the bench

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/dr ... i-cumbria/

also seen elsewhere that Jamie Doran was from Whitehaven, but struggling, however i am not a statto in terms of RL birthplaces :)
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

the pieman wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:31 am

just googled and found this from 2018 based on players at the time. Moose made the bench

also seen elsewhere that Jamie Doran was from Whitehaven, but struggling, however i am not a statto in terms of RL birthplaces :)
chris hankinson has represented Cumbria but doesnt state where he was born
oliver wilkes is another from up Cumbria way
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

the pieman wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:36 am
the pieman wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:31 am

chris hankinson has represented Cumbria but doesnt state where he was born
oliver wilkes is another from up Cumbria way
Ollies from Ulverston iirc
SJ

Post by SJ »

Eddie Bowman and Bob Blackwood spring to mind
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Craig murdock gotta be our 7
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

pedro wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:36 am No Newton signed for Leeds and Wigan when hew was at Judes, Leeds took Wigan to court and won so Newton went to Leeds then Wigan signed him from there a few years later, Robinson played for Hunslt after Parkside so was a semi pro player in the lower divisions before signing for wigan, Charnley and farrell were both Academy players but went out on loan and played first team rugby for other clubs before breaking into the Wigan first team
Sorry Pedro, but you're wrong. I dug out Jason Robinson's autobiography and he clearly states that he started at Hunslet Boys Club, moved to Hunslet Parkside, then Leeds tried to sign him. He should have had a trial for them but didn't because Parkside we're playing St Pats on the same day and he didn't want to miss. He then signed for Wigan. See page 29 of "Finding my Feet", published 2003.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:23 pm
pedro wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:36 am No Newton signed for Leeds and Wigan when hew was at Judes, Leeds took Wigan to court and won so Newton went to Leeds then Wigan signed him from there a few years later, Robinson played for Hunslt after Parkside so was a semi pro player in the lower divisions before signing for wigan, Charnley and farrell were both Academy players but went out on loan and played first team rugby for other clubs before breaking into the Wigan first team
Sorry Pedro, but you're wrong. I dug out Jason Robinson's autobiography and he clearly states that he started at Hunslet Boys Club, moved to Hunslet Parkside, then Leeds tried to sign him. He should have had a trial for them but didn't because Parkside we're playing St Pats on the same day and he didn't want to miss. He then signed for Wigan. See page 29 of "Finding my Feet", published 2003.
Wiki says Robinson played for Hunslet Boys Club, then Hunslet Parkside and then Hunslet Hawks (semi-pro) in 1991 playing 27 times and scoring 59 points.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

The booze hound wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:44 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:23 pm
Wiki says Robinson played for Hunslet Boys Club, then Hunslet Parkside and then Hunslet Hawks (semi-pro) in 1991 playing 27 times and scoring 59 points.
Fair enough. I'm baffled as to why he doesn't mention it in the book. He specifically says that he was due to play for Hunslet Parkside against St Pats, missed a trial game for Leeds A team. "Leeds coach David Ward wanted me to sign, and that was clearly a more exciting prospect than signing for Hunslet....but the game clashed with Parkside's annual fixture with Wigan St Pat's....it was our top game and I couldn't let Parkside down."

The next paragraph starts with Eric Hawley and Robinson signing for Wigan. Hawley is quoted as saying "Jason was a ball-boy at Headingley and there is a tendency for lads to want to sign for their local club. For Jason that was always going to be Leeds rather than Hunslet..."

He continues "The season was just starting with Hunslet Parkside...they were playing at Featherstone Sports Centre, so I went along."

"Usually I watch a lad over 4 to 6 weeks, leave them alone, then go back. But with Jason, I dare not wait. Two games were enough for me."

Hawley talks of Robinson signing and playing for the Academy at Wigan. I don't see how this tallies with him playing 27 times for Hunslet. Could it have been after he signed for Wigan?

Does anybody know the date Robinson signed for us or how old he was? I'm intrigued to work out what's going on here.

I checked the index and Hunslet Boys Club has 3 references, there are 5 for Hunslet Parkside, but none for Hunslet.

I suspect the Wikipedia entry is a mistake and is his record for Hunslet Parkside, not Hunslet.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐