Bobble Goulding blueprint for superleague

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
oval balls

Bobble Goulding blueprint for superleague

Post by oval balls »

Goulding’s 13-team Super League would look like this: Newcastle, Cumbria, one Hull team, West Yorkshire, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, London, Catalans, Toulouse, Toronto and one of Ottawa, New York, Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh or UAE.

That means Goulding would see teams like Wigan, Salford, Leigh and Warrington merge to become Manchester, with St Helens and Widnes essentially rebranding to Liverpool.

Castleford, Wakefield, Huddersfield and Featherstone would merge and Hull FC and Hull KR would become one.
I personally wouldn’t want this nor would any rugby league supporter following their town club’s fortunes
Will be an interesting debate amongst supporters
wigans turning blue- my arse

Firestarter

Re: Bobble Goulding blueprint for superleague

Post by Firestarter »

If this ridiculous plan did work ,and we lost our name i,for one would never be attending a game again....... change from wigan to manchester....... never heard as much s%#+e spouted in rugby league history
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

As a whole its a terrible idea - however there are elements i dont mind

I think a Liverpool and Manchester team (in name) would help exposure
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:55 pm As a whole its a terrible idea - however there are elements i dont mind

No doubt.... as long as theres a wigan
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:55 pm As a whole its a terrible idea - however there are elements i dont mind

That's what Koukash wanted!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
old hooker

Post by old hooker »

What a load of shite, it will never happen thank heaven.
SJ

Post by SJ »

Elegantly expressed O. H 😎
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Totally agree with all the above re Goulding's idea and the fact it'll never happen.

When former players come out with this kind of stuff it's about crebating controversy to earn them a few quid. Ditto Phil Clarke - I'm sure Sky put him there just to be controversial at times. The difference between the two of them is that one has something between his ears.

Fwiw, my view of the future is back to franchising, with:

> 3 year protection against relegation for promoted teams.

> Minimum standards for teams moving into SL, focused mainly on youth development and financial sustainability.

> Initially a 10 team SL until the pool of quality players is big enough. Play each other 3 times (Inc Magic) to give 27 games a season.

> Trial for reduction to 12 a side to both tip the balance to more open play and reduce costs.

It's for you to decide if I'm a Goulding or a Clarke....or even Gary Hetherington :roll:
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

oval balls wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:52 pm Goulding’s 13-team Super League would look like this: Newcastle, Cumbria, one Hull team, West Yorkshire, Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, London, Catalans, Toulouse, Toronto and one of Ottawa, New York, Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh or UAE.

That means Goulding would see teams like Wigan, Salford, Leigh and Warrington merge to become Manchester, with St Helens and Widnes essentially rebranding to Liverpool.

Castleford, Wakefield, Huddersfield and Featherstone would merge and Hull FC and Hull KR would become one.
I personally wouldn’t want this nor would any rugby league supporter following their town club’s fortunes
Will be an interesting debate amongst supporters
It won't because its flawed in so many ways it is a clear non starter.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Maurice Lindsay came back with this years ago the supporters were up in arms then in theory it was good on paper but from a fans point of view it was not on.The merging of .Oldham, Rochdale, Swinton and Salford to become Manchester. Whitehaven Workington and Barrow to become Cumbria. Featherstone Wakefield and Castleford to become Calderdale .He even said Wigan and Saints to merge
Would have liked the Cumbria clubs to merge as I think there is a hot bed for RL up there.
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/how ... 15884.html