Cross Code Challenge v Bath 1996.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ian.birchall

Cross Code Challenge v Bath 1996.

Post by ian.birchall »

Today's Daily Telegraph saying look out on Sky for the two matches between Wigan and Bath RU in 1996, says it is on on Friday but I cannot find any reference to it in the programme list.
Anyone out there know when it is on??
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Re: Cross Code Challenge v Bath 1996.

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

May 8th Sky Sports Arena

7pm Wigan v Bath

9pm Bath v Wigan

Regards EW
2002 and EW is hooked
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 3:48 pm May 8th Sky Sports Arena

7pm Wigan v Bath

9pm Bath v Wigan

Regards EW
Many thanks EW
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Not a very good idea at the time put a lot of the Wigan players in the shop window just as the money went into rugby union As did the sevens at Twickenham
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Remember going To Twickers for the Union game. Had a great day out and enjoyed the banter with the onion fans.😀
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pearsy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:00 pm Not a very good idea at the time put a lot of the Wigan players in the shop window just as the money went into rugby union As did the sevens at Twickenham
Could you tell us which ones where put in the window and how many of those actual 2 teams defected to union?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

In the twickenham game there commentators went wild over our outstanding tries......... in the main road game eddie hemmings went wild over there crappy consolation try
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

pearsy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:00 pm Not a very good idea at the time put a lot of the Wigan players in the shop window just as the money went into rugby union As did the sevens at Twickenham
The Twickenham 7's is a charity event, and I believe Wigan and Bath were paid from the other two games. Yes Twickenham got a fee for staging the event as did Manchester City, no different to playing semi finals and finals on neutral grounds?
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Just as I remembered.
League is about running, passing, some kicking, tackling, defence and tactics.
Union is about set pieces er……………… that's about it.
Notable in the League game that Bath were almost literally run off their feet because the game flows. No long gaps while you walk gently to the next lineout or pause a while before a scrum is set.
The last Union game I went to was at Bath (lovely ground, free tickets). It was the dullest evening of my life. There was one clean break in the whole game and that was buy an ex-League player Tevita Vaikona. Given that Bath were the most (only?) entertaining team in Union, that decided me never to bother to go to a Union match again. The same for TV.
The only possible reason that players went to League was the money on offer - plus it's less effort to play.

If Union didn't exist, it would never need to be invented.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

In my opinion these games both the Bath and Twickenham sevens put ideas to RU that their game was stifled.Soon after they went Professional and even hired the then Great Britain coach Phil Larder to move to RU. These measures put the knife into RL as we could not convert any RU players to our game.They recruited more ex RL players into coaching the RU game at the time we had a fixation of getting NRL coaches into our game and a lot of potential RL coaches were lost to the game. Even now we have Edwards, Farrell in international coaching RU . Owen Farrell ,Jason Robinson etc played at international level .Even now there Is a big influx of ex RL payers coaching RU.

https://www.planetrugby.com/analysis-le ... -on-union/