Cross Code Challenge v Bath 1996.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Cross Code Challenge v Bath 1996.

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:41 pm
pearsy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:00 pm Not a very good idea at the time put a lot of the Wigan players in the shop window just as the money went into rugby union As did the sevens at Twickenham
Could you tell us which ones where put in the window and how many of those actual 2 teams defected to union?
Robinson
Inga
Paul
haughton
Faz
Quinell
Lydon (coach)
Edwards (coach)
Tatupu
Craig
Connolly
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

pedro wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:16 pm
pearsy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:00 pm Not a very good idea at the time put a lot of the Wigan players in the shop window just as the money went into rugby union As did the sevens at Twickenham
Could you tell us which ones where put in the window and how many of those actual 2 teams defected to union?
Robinson
Inga
Paul
haughton
Faz
Quinell
Lydon (coach)
Edwards (coach)
Tatupu
Craig
Connolly
Inga played union many years before he played league.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Robinson
Inga
Paul
haughton
Faz
Quinell
Lydon (coach)
Edwards (coach)
Tatupu
Craig
Connolly
Really

Robinson - The only real loss
Inga - Went back to the game he came from after a 4 year stint
Paul - Apart from an off season at Bath iirc, he didn't go to union till 5 years after those games
haughton - Left 6 years after those games
Faz - Left 8 years after that game when his body was too knackered for League
Quinell - Went to the game he came from after a 2 year stint
Lydon (coach) - Had retired before those games
Edwards (coach) - Joined union 5 years after those games
Tatupu - LMAO
Craig - No big loss
Connolly - Apart from an off season at Harlequins iirc, he didn't go to union till 2002 iirc

Apart from Robinson I don't think any player was poached after being put in the shop window
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

They were super keen to sign Rads and it was only after a long playing saga with numerous to and fro contract talks that he re-signed for us.
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:33 pm

Robinson
Inga
Paul
haughton
Faz
Quinell
Lydon (coach)
Edwards (coach)
Tatupu
Craig
Connolly
Really

Paul - Apart from an off season at Bath iirc, he didn't go to union till 5 years after those games
Tatupu - LMAO
Craig - No big loss
Connolly - Apart from an off season at Harlequins iirc, he didn't go to union till 2002 iirc

Apart from Robinson I don't think any player was poached after being put in the shop window
That’s not what you asked, you said defected so I answered, just because they played RU originally does it mean they don’t count if they go back as they cost us money to bring over? Just because time went by doesn’t mean they werent put in the window and plans weren’t put in place to get them, does it only count if they defected the year after?
Last edited by pedro on Sun May 10, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:06 pm

Robinson
Inga
Paul
haughton
Faz
Quinell
Lydon (coach)
Edwards (coach)
Tatupu
Craig
Connolly
Inga played union many years before he played league.
I know
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pedro wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 3:56 am
medlocke wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:33 pm

Robinson
Inga
Paul
haughton
Faz
Quinell
Lydon (coach)
Edwards (coach)
Tatupu
Craig
Connolly
Really

Tatupu - LMAO
Craig - No big loss

That’s not what you asked, you said defected so I answered, just because they played RU originally does it mean they don’t count if they go back as they cost us money to bring over? Just because time went by doesn’t mean they were put in the window and plans weren’t put in place to get them, does it only count if they defected the year after?
Sorry I should have worded it better, What I was meaning to say was which players defected within a season because of these games
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I suspect a lot of the players went eventually because they were 'star names' and Union was short of them at the time. Plus Union desperately players and coaches who understood angles and line-running to slice through a defence. On the evidence of both matches, I would have though Andy Johnson would have been ideal for Union as would Craig Murdock, who worked wonders in the second match behind a back-pedalling pack.
Interesting that had Wigan played to their strengths throughout, they might just have upset Bath. They obviously played to a West plan in the first half - kick ASAP but towards the end of the match, they threw the ball around a la League and sliced through Bath.
It was interesting to watch again but I couldn't stand the patronising tone of the commentators (Stuart Barnes excepted) who obviously wanted Union to grind these 'professional louts' into the ground.
pedro

Post by pedro »

I dunno, went to the saints one also and the league teams just got mullered by penalties due to the restart as thats what union do and thats their speciality, they practise this like crazy instead or passing, running and tackling.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Southern Softy wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:10 am I suspect a lot of the players went eventually because they were 'star names' and Union was short of them at the time. Plus Union desperately players and coaches who understood angles and line-running to slice through a defence. On the evidence of both matches, I would have though Andy Johnson would have been ideal for Union as would Craig Murdock, who worked wonders in the second match behind a back-pedalling pack.
Interesting that had Wigan played to their strengths throughout, they might just have upset Bath. They obviously played to a West plan in the first half - kick ASAP but towards the end of the match, they threw the ball around a la League and sliced through Bath.
It was interesting to watch again but I couldn't stand the patronising tone of the commentators (Stuart Barnes excepted) who obviously wanted Union to grind these 'professional louts' into the ground.
No they wouldn't, they really wouldn't.

If the score got remotely close Bath would have kept the ball in endless rolling mauls until a sufficient cushion was re-established.