Underrated/Left-Field Wigan Teams

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
PorterjohLam

Underrated/Left-Field Wigan Teams

Post by PorterjohLam »

Alright, so we've had 'all time' teams, but I've been watching a lot of old stuff on Yout...I mean, Wigan TV, and I got to thinking about who are some of the more underrated players to have played in my lifetime? (I've existed since 1990 and been watching since 1998, so there's a lot of recency bias, especially early 2000s as that's when I started going)

1 - Steve Hampson - Difficult as we've not had many fullbacks (until the last few years!), and they were generally either amazing or terrible (Koloi, Wes Davies - I think, Phelps, Mathers) but Hampson probably takes it for me. I think most would throw Radlinski and Tomkins ahead of him and there's a reasonable argument he was better than at least one of them.

2 - Brett Dallas - OK, a tough call as 'underrated' but amongst most all-time teams, probably wouldn't get a look in as we've had some great wingers. Strong, tough, fast and loyal. Shame how his life has turned out since. Hope he's doing OK somewhere.

3 - Gary Connolly - I didn't see him in an all-time team, which to me was nuts (but opinions are good :)) - probably one of my favourite players I've ever seen play for Wigan.

4 - George Carmont - I reckon he could've played in any Wigan team but many would rank others above him. Was class from day 1.

5 - Brian Carney - Alright, annoying on Sky these days, but Wigan lacked a 'strike' scorer for a long time after he left in my view. One of those players who could have you on the edge of your seat in attack, and ripping it out and throwing it in defence.

6 - Brett Finch - Seem to remember him being much-maligned when he was here, but watching that season's games back, he was a MASSIVE part of how good our attack was.

7 - Michael Dobson - often lost in the shadow of the Barrets and Lams (inc by me) it's incredible how good he was in '06. People point to Fielden but I don't think we had a hope of staying up without Dobson.

8 - Neil Cowie - For sheer effort, heart, and toughness. What a player.

9 - Mark Riddell - I'd have picked him for his goalkicking style alone, but such a huge part of what we did in 2010. Class act, if you got him fit, which Maguire did.

10 - Andy Coley - Arguably our best prop for many years, largely never been replaced, an absolute class act.

11 - Bryan Fletcher - never someone you see mentioned in all time-teams, but I think he was immense for us.

12 - Ryan Hoffman - Another one-season guy but my god, what a player. We were spoilt for choice in the back row back then.

13 - Nick Graham - Don't know what it was about this guy, but always liked him. Always seemed to give us absolutely everything, at a time where we really needed it.

Hopefully something to do in our lockdown-that-isn't-but-might-be-a-lockdown. :)
jobo

Re: Underrated/Left-Field Wigan Teams

Post by jobo »

Reckon that team you've picked would be a match for virtually anyone.

Ryan Hoffman, for me, ranks as one of the very best 2nd rowers I've ever seen play for the club.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I wouldn’t say the team is underrated or left field.
Dallas, Carmont, Connolly, Finch, Fletcher, Hoffman were all quality. I think the reason some of these players don’t get included in all time teams is sometimes longevity. Hard to include a player who had 1-2 amazing seasons vs a proper fan favourite who had 10 good years at the club.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:22 am I wouldn’t say the team is underrated or left field.
Dallas, Carmont, Connolly, Finch, Fletcher, Hoffman were all quality. I think the reason some of these players don’t get included in all time teams is sometimes longevity. Hard to include a player who had 1-2 amazing seasons vs a proper fan favourite who had 10 good years at the club.
Yet Brett Kenny is idolised like a golden god by some fans
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I might eventually manage to come up with a team, but it makes it a forced choice for some positions. So here are some players I think get overlooked, overshadowed or forgotten.

It could be because they played in an era when the team as a whole was pretty poor (George Fairbairn, Bill Francis), or there were others in their position who get picked ahead of them (Martin Hall, Phil Clarke). Or just solid, unspectacular grafters, often appreciated by teammates more than fans (Ian Potter, Mick Cassidy).

I'd add Scott Quinnell (too short a stay) and Doug Laughton (remembered as a coach).
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
SJ

Post by SJ »

Doug remembered for nicking Directors "butties "😀
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

SJ wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:35 am Doug remembered for nicking Directors "butties "😀
:lol:

I could add Billy McGinty's pineapple or Frank Collier telling Field Marshall Montgomery that he'd served under him at El Alamein (both good players too).
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I always thought Darrell Goulding was very underrated. I saw him as a very solid and reliable centre. Great defence, could score tries but loved setting his wingers up. Never going to get mentions in the same sentence as Renouf, Carmont etc but I’d say he’s on par with Gildart, if not better overall, who seems to be one of our favoured centres in recent times.

Did he get moved from wing to centre or centre to wing?
Was it under Wane he fell out of favour?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Ray Mordt was, imo, very underrated.

He was moved on when John Monie came in (Monie seemingly had an anti RU streak in him).

Imo he was a very strong winger who could have done a lot more had he been in Monie's "good books".
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Ray Mordt was a fine player but he left the club two years before Monie arrived.