Wigan Hall of Fame

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ancientnloyal

Re: Wigan Hall of Fame

Post by ancientnloyal »

If all things were relative with time, you’d have Johnny Ring in any Wigan side. He was a phenomenon

Sullivan
Boston
Ashton
Bell
Ring

What a back line that would be.

Johnny Ring won us many honours.
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

shaunedwardsfanclub wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:27 am There are some great players in the Hall of Fame, but which players do you think should be in there and why?

I'll go first. Lockers is nailed on after he hangs up his boots, which will please Josie. Denis Betts due to the fact that he has scored more tries than any other forward that has played for Wigan, although Hanley scored more he played in a variety of positions. My other choice would be Johnny Ring who scored 368 tries in 331 appearances, his strike rate is second only to Martin Offiah.
Who comes close to Betts in try scoring? Would be good to see how close Farrell is.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Andy Farrell scored 111 tries in 369 appearances

Denis Betts 129 in 367

Liam Farrell something like 98 in 266 so he could pass them both if he keeps going
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

[*]
SJ wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:04 am Like I said Ted. I never saw Ring play I did see Billy B play. A legend in his own time. Should there ever be a Hall of Greats surely Billy would lead the Pantheon. Should have a knighthood if not already. 👍
I never saw Billy B play. However, if he did rely on his strength rather than speed, then he would have been massively less effective in today's game.

When he played, a typical prop forward was 14 stones with a beer gut. A winger would be more like what, 12 stones?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Billy was quite fast for a big man but had very good foot work and side step.
He could side step his way round a player as well as run right over him.
Thing that never seems to be mentioned about Billy was his crash tackle. When he came in from the wing at pace to tackle the centre or 2nd row they must have thought the sky had fallen in. The best since was Inga, he had a crash tackle like no other at the time.
Not seen any as good as either since.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:45 pm Billy was quite fast for a big man but had very good foot work and side step.
Thing that never seems to be mentioned about Billy was his crash tackle. When he came in from the wing at pace to tackle the centre or 2nd row they must have thought the sky had fallen in. The best since was Inga, he had a crash tackle like no other at the time.
Spot on, Ted.

Billy's side-step was like no other I've ever seen. It was a swerve of the whole body first one way then the other. It seemed to centre on his hips rather than just his feet.

There was no pause or stutter as with most side-steps, he just flowed by and left even the best defenders grasping at thin air.

It's hard to describe in words but just watch clips and see if you can work it out.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
SJ

Post by SJ »

Think you're captured it perfectly. It was the swivel of the hips move than a side-step that fooled the defender into altering his trajectory but if he didn't it meant Billy went through him so to speak. George Best of the"swivel hip sly side-step" as I call it,for want of a better description 🏉
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:45 pm Billy was quite fast for a big man but had very good foot work and side step.
Billy was as fast as he needed to be. It's amazing how many players "nearly" caught him.
Back to his side step, an International winger shook hands with Billy after a game at Central Park after Billy had run over him twice to score and said "Billy I believe you have a good side step"? Billy replied "Not bad"
The other winger said "Will you use it next time".
moto748

Post by moto748 »

No straw damn us wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:07 am

Billy was as fast as he needed to be. It's amazing how many players "nearly" caught him.
Back to his side step, an International winger shook hands with Billy after a game at Central Park after Billy had run over him twice to score and said "Billy I believe you have a good side step"? Billy replied "Not bad"
The other winger said "Will you use it next time".
:lol: :lol:
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Mick Cassidy!