Inglis to Wire

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wintergreen

Re: Inglis

Post by Wintergreen »

The real worry here is

It is interesting to note that the 12 Super League clubs are currently involved in a debate as to whether the salary cap should be reduced next year, given the financial problems caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Are these people for real?

The salary cap was s £1.8m in 2002.

The salary cap in 2020 is £1.85m, which is the equivalent of £1.2m in 2002. i.e. it has dropped by £600k in real terms.

Is it any wonder the standard of RL has dropped off a cliff and the best stars have gone elsewhere?

And these people are considering dropping it further!!!???? Why not go the whole hog and turn it back into a semi professional game (which it will have to be anyway).

RIP high standard RL in this country. Hello pub teams.
pedro

Post by pedro »

its 2.1 this year so in effect a loss of 0.85 million as with inflation 1.8 million in 2002 would be 2.95 million now
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

How do they reduce the salary cap at a stroke when the majority of players won’t be off contract?

When they first brought in the flat rate salary cap Wigan had a dispensation because of existing contracts.

I think the players union might have something to say about this.

In any case the Sky money SL clubs get pays the entire salary cap bill. If Sky won’t pay up then you’d need to reduce it to zero for most clubs. Now granted clubs will have run up debts over this season but given RL players are supposedly taking pay cuts anyway what is that government loan going to be used for if not to cover the short fall clubs face on their day to day operations (i.e.not the players wage bill)?

So we have players taking wage cuts this season, the RFL getting a loan and so far no suggestion next season will be affected. So the salary cap must be reduced because?
fozzieskem

Re: Inglis to Wire

Post by fozzieskem »

I would be very wary of taking the loan out, certainly if you've no real need to,no-one knows the terms of the loan and how fast Johnsons government would want it paid back, unless the club its flat on its face if it where me, given Furlough etc id leave it alone.