Who stays? Who goes? Wigan Warriors' situation with off-contract stars

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Who stays? Who goes? Wigan Warriors' situation with off-contract stars

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:52 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:36 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:52 am

Where do you get this from? Part of, if not most of his salary doesn’t count on the salary cap.
Regardless of that, he’s one of the top earners at the club. His impact and game time and injury record has been heading in the wrong direction for around 5 years now, with a sharp decline most recently.
Don’t know what you have been watching but if you think his impact has been declining you haven’t been watching the same games I have! Even the players, past & present, say any contribution from him is immeasurable.
His impact has been declining year on year for a while now, albeit from a very high impact but for me, when you factor in his injury record, game time, minutes, it’s time to hang up the boots.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Departures:

Sean O'Loughlin - Wouldn't be surprised if he rolls out for 2021!
Tony Clubb - Looks fitter from what I've seen in 2020, too far down the pecking order now!
Joe Burgess - Total enigma! World class on his day but frankly doesn't seem arsed!
Chris Hankinson - Not Wigan standard IMO (not even as a back up centre)!
Romain Navarrete - Fell down the pecking order!

Undecided:

Joe Greenwood - Very fragile but very effective when fit!
Thomas Leuluai - Looks good for 35+, wouldn't keep him at the expense of Smith in the starting line up!
Jake Shorrocks - Too many seasons, not enough game time to cement a place!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Lockers has to go because he prevents us moving on from his influence which is waning
Clubbs should go
Tommy should go
Navarrette should go
Flower needs to go
Greenwood is a good player made of glass he needs to go
shorrocks has had more than enough time to get in the team harry smith showed enough to let shorrocks leave

Powell - the trouble is here with Powell is he is a durable plodder and while im not a fan i would only get rid if they are going to get a hooker as replacement and not put shorrocks there or something daft. No one will ever convince me he belongs at the top top level he is to hooker what matty smith was to half back - he will give you 6 or 7/10 most games with a 9/10 game every now and then to make people think he is something he isnt. He cant change a game, he cant dominate a game and most crucially hes too slow for the modern game which whatever your thoughts are whether it should be or not is all about pace, he is however unlikely to lose you a game. So if there is a genuine top replacement id get shut but otherwise keep

One thing i will say is Lam has got more out of Powell than Wane did
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

With the reserves going for next year I can see a trimmed down squad to save money no new players coming in and the players on the fringe and out of contract will be let go.
Wigan_forever1985

Thats my fear and if so we should keep Powell
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

With the numbers confirmed and rumoured to leave there will be a considerable reduction in the club's salary bill. If all those do leave then the squad will be short of quality and I could see a couple of signings arriving.
Wigan_forever1985

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:13 pm With the numbers confirmed and rumoured to leave there will be a considerable reduction in the club's salary bill. If all those do leave then the squad will be short of quality and I could see a couple of signings arriving.
we need to learn from 2005 and not let a big chunk of senior players go and expect kids to fill the void