Rushton

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Rushton

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Its difficult because we seem to becoming Canberra's feeder club and if IL history is anything to go b what we are essentially doing with them is "take x player, if he works out great if he doesnt we'll have him back off you quick sharp"

But lets face facts how many young lads in general want to go live in Aus for a bit i know loads of my mates whove done a year there or stayed on. Couple that with doing your current job for more money and its a no brainer. Its in NRL's teams interest to get the lads younger too that way less likely to have roots like a family.

We are the scottish league to the nrl's premier league - we simply are never going to compete so we need a hook to our league
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:47 am Its difficult because we seem to becoming Canberra's feeder club and if IL history is anything to go b what we are essentially doing with them is "take x player, if he works out great if he doesnt we'll have him back off you quick sharp"

But lets face facts how many young lads in general want to go live in Aus for a bit i know loads of my mates whove done a year there or stayed on. Couple that with doing your current job for more money and its a no brainer. Its in NRL's teams interest to get the lads younger too that way less likely to have roots like a family.

We are the scottish league to the nrl's premier league - we simply are never going to compete so we need a hook to our league
Give over the Scottish League is not as good as that lol :lol: :D :lol:
2002 and EW is hooked
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

It's happened before with Saints and Leeds. Saints lost Levy Nzoungou and Andre Savelio, Leeds with Mason Tonks and Jordan Baldwinson.
None of them really made it over there which should be a warning to most young players.

They all finished up coming back over here in a short space of time.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:18 am It's happened before with Saints and Leeds. Saints lost Levy Nzoungou and Andre Savelio, Leeds with Mason Tonks and Jordan Baldwinson.
None of them really made it over there which should be a warning to most young players.
Well we best hope that young Rushton is a failure otherwise the floodgates might well open

Now the examples you gave were all not great examples

Andre Savelio was 22 when he signed for Brisbane Broncos at the end of his deal at wire on a 3 year contract. I think injury played a major part in his failure to "crack" Australia.

Levy Nzoungou was signed from French RL by saints and then signed for Melbourne Storm after only one season in scouse land. He has since rarely lasted long at any club

Jordan Baldwinson and Mason Tonks did, as you say, sign for the New Zealand Warriors on 13th July 2013 and then signed for Leeds (but loaned to the Bradford Bulls) on 15th May 2014.

The last two players I accept as similar to the current scenario with Rushton. The only problem we have is that Rushton isn't the only junior being chased. With no reserves and reduced tv money I do wonder what is really in it for Wigan to run an academy when the club got absolutely NOTHING for Rushton leaving monetary wise

Perhaps it is time for Wigan to do some deal with a NRL team in order to pool talent and hopefully not lose too many and get some in return?
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I’m actually peed off with fecking Canberra! They sure live up to their “Raiders” title 🤬
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:04 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:18 am It's happened before with Saints and Leeds. Saints lost Levy Nzoungou and Andre Savelio, Leeds with Mason Tonks and Jordan Baldwinson.
Well we best hope that young Rushton is a failure otherwise the floodgates might well open

Andre Savelio was 22 when he signed for Brisbane Broncos at the end of his deal at wire on a 3 year contract. I think injury played a major part in his failure to "crack" Australia.

Levy Nzoungou was signed from French RL by saints and then signed for Melbourne Storm after only one season in scouse land. He has since rarely lasted long at any club

Jordan Baldwinson and Mason Tonks did, as you say, sign for the New Zealand Warriors on 13th July 2013 and then signed for Leeds (but loaned to the Bradford Bulls) on 15th May 2014.

The last two players I accept as similar to the current scenario with Rushton. The only problem we have is that Rushton isn't the only junior being chased. With no reserves and reduced tv money I do wonder what is really in it for Wigan to run an academy when the club got absolutely NOTHING for Rushton leaving monetary wise

Perhaps it is time for Wigan to do some deal with a NRL team in order to pool talent and hopefully not lose too many and get some in return?
But this is exactly what you would expect.

From the NRL's perspective, it doesn't matter if they fail. If they don't fail, they have picked up a bargain.

I don't know much about the NRL's funding position or how it makes money, but assuming it is in an intrinsically richer position than SL, I think the club has 2 choices.

1. To persuade the young players that it is in their interests to stay longer, to improve their game, physically grow, before trying the NRL. Difficult.

2. To scrap or significantly raise the salary cap.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:55 pm
wall_of_voodoo wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:04 pm

But this is exactly what you would expect.

From the NRL's perspective, it doesn't matter if they fail. If they don't fail, they have picked up a bargain.

I don't know much about the NRL's funding position or how it makes money, but assuming it is in an intrinsically richer position than SL, I think the club has 2 choices.

1. To persuade the young players that it is in their interests to stay longer, to improve their game, physically grow, before trying the NRL. Difficult.

2. To scrap or significantly raise the salary cap.
Clubs could also do what they did back in the day and give promising young players a decent, long term contract.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

They very rarely gave long term contracts to 18 year olds.

Do you remember Darryl Lacey?
shaunedwardsfanclub

Post by shaunedwardsfanclub »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:34 pm They very rarely gave long term contracts to 18 year olds.

That's true but that strategy may have to change. There is no point spending resources recruiting and developing juniors if we cannot keep hold of them. Rushton may be the tip of the iceberg!
Winning is down to 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration - Shaun Edwards
jobo

Post by jobo »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:34 pm They very rarely gave long term contracts to 18 year olds.

I do.

The flip side to that is Andy Farrell, Sean Edwards, SOL etc. All were signed young on very good contracts with built in incentives as they progressed.