SMOKING SURVEY

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cpwigan

Re: SMOKING SURVEY

Post by cpwigan »

Smoking areas never work. Prior to a full smoking ban in schools, staff were given smoking areas. These areas became so disgusting that even the smokers no longer wanted to use the smoking area
from a 2 b

Post by from a 2 b »

Shame the voting section isn't working, although judging by the comments so far, the majority seem to be in favour of the ban. I have sent a request to the "official website" to see if they would run a vote on their pages.
It is a difficult subject as it could be perceived as infringing cival liberties, but in reality it only means having to do without a fag for around 1.5 - 2 hours max, so it's not the end of the world.
He's blind, he's deaf the scouser is a ref Steve Ganson, Steve Ganson
willie c

Post by willie c »

cpwigan posted:
Smoking areas never work. Prior to a full smoking ban in schools, staff were given smoking areas. These areas became so disgusting that even the smokers no longer wanted to use the smoking area
what about the pupils where do they smoke :D
here mate is that tackle seven your jokeing my head marra
cpwigan

Post by cpwigan »

Around the side of Art, down the steps at Fisher :D

Too easy to catch them though :)
willie c

Post by willie c »

cpwigan posted:
Around the side of Art, down the steps at Fisher :D

Too easy to catch them though :)
just have to look for the big smoke cloud then :lol:
here mate is that tackle seven your jokeing my head marra
adrenalinxx

Post by adrenalinxx »

Fraggle posted:

Walking in front of a bus may well also kill you (or at least will "cause serious damage to your health" or whatever the warning on the side of ciggie packets used to say - shows how much notice I took of that message when I smoked!), but we don't ban walking, or buses. Although I'm sure someone's probably tried legal action against a bus company for not warning them that buses are quite solid and may cause injury to humans or damage to vehicles...

If people want to kill themselves with cigarettes then I think that's up to them, maybe they should have to pay extra for any medical treatment but ultimately it's their decision. The fact it affects other people is, however, more relevant and for that reason I think smoking needs to be restricted. I can't imagine even going back 10 years to my previous job, being able to sit in an office with a cloud of smoke over the desks as me and the other two smokers in the place slowly destroyed our lungs, although it meant we never got distracted by any visitors as no-one wanted to open the door to our little room! Times change, and increasing restrictions are, I think, inevitable and indeed correct if the nation's habits show that fewer and fewer people are smoking.
Walking and buses have other more obvious uses than killing people yet smoking does not do anything but cause seriuos damage to your health. Stabbing yourself with a knife causes you serious harm so does smoking, stabbing someone with a knife causes them harm and so does smoking so why is one an offence and the other is not. If the could ban certain types of knifes are illegal because they are dangerous they are cigarettes illegal.

If someone in front of me is smoking and I hit him I’m the one who would get in trouble even though the person smoking has caused a greater risk to my health.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

adrenalinxx posted:
Walking and buses have other more obvious uses than killing people yet smoking does not do anything but cause seriuos damage to your health. Stabbing yourself with a knife causes you serious harm so does smoking, stabbing someone with a knife causes them harm and so does smoking so why is one an offence and the other is not. If the could ban certain types of knifes are illegal because they are dangerous they are cigarettes illegal.

If someone in front of me is smoking and I hit him I’m the one who would get in trouble even though the person smoking has caused a greater risk to my health.
I was only messing, re: banning buses and walking. But to try and answer your question, perhaps smoking's not illegal because many of the people who make the laws are smokers? If you were in charge, would you sign up to banning something that you enjoy yourself? And smoking is enjoyable and relaxing, if you're a smoker, so cigarettes are good for something other than causing harm. What isn't enjoyable is every morning waking up and coughing up your guts thanks to a 20/day habit, and to me that was a bigger reason to give up than the enjoyment of got out of smoking the things in the first place, but there's a price to pay for every good thing.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
from a 2 b

Post by from a 2 b »

There's only one thing worse for your health than smoking and that's trying to tackle Feka when he's got a full head of steam :exc: :exc: :exc:
He's blind, he's deaf the scouser is a ref Steve Ganson, Steve Ganson
Dawber

Post by Dawber »

I went to the Huddersfield game on thursday night and although the ban was in force the floor in the gents was littered with fag ends, Also people carried on smoking around the bar and stairway at half time, I'm a non smoker but i do believe people should have somewhere to go in the stadium to have a fag if they wish, As i say the ban is not a problem for me, But my wife ? oh dear :lol:
Welski

Post by Welski »

Smoking releases carcinogenic agents into the atmosphere. In the same way that smashing up sheets of asbestos does. I think it makes sense that know we know the risks these practices pose to innocent bystanders that both activities are banned, full stop. If anyone wants to continue enjoying either practice the only place they should be allowed to do so is in their own homes. (assuming they do not mind jeopardising the health of their loved ones)

In another 10 years people will look back at the lenghty debate about this issue and laugh.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League