Raiders Blow: John Bateman quits Canberra contract!

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Raiders Blow: John Bateman quits Canberra contract!

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Raiders Blow: John Bateman quits Canberra contract!

Post by josie andrews »

Wonder if the Harry Rushton & the rumours of others going has anything to do with it?
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Raiders star John Bateman to depart club as THREE teams circle

The Englishman reportedly informed the Raiders of his decision this morning.

Canberra star John Bateman will depart the club at the end of the season.

The Canterbury Bulldogs, St George Illawarra Dragons and his former side Wigan are among the teams interested in signing him.

The Englishman reportedly informed the Raiders of his decision this morning.

“The club made the difficult decision to allow John to pursue other long-term options and as a result, 2020 will be his final season with the Raiders,” Raiders CEO Don Furner Furner told the club website.

“We’re looking forward to John returning from his shoulder injury soon and finishing his time by helping us make the semi finals again. John was fantastic in 2019, featuring in our first Grand Final appearance since 1994 and winning the Dally M for second rower of the year.”

Bateman thanked the club for giving him the opportunity to play in the NRL.

“The Raiders gave me an opportunity to come to Australia and play in the NRL and I’ve loved every moment playing for the club,” he said. “I’m doing everything I can to make sure I get back on the field as soon as possible and finish my last season with the Raiders on a high.”

Bateman doesn’t officially come off contract with Canberra until the end of 2021, but has a unique deal where he can renegotiate each season.

It was previously reported that Bateman has requested multiple releases from the Raiders since the 2019 Grand Final.

The 26-year old enjoyed an impressive rookie campaign for Canberra, claiming Dally M Second Rower of the Year honours.

He is currently sidelined indefinitely after undergoing a second round of shoulder surgery earlier this month.

https://www.zerotackle.com/raiders-star ... ted-56680/
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Bateman

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

2002 and EW is hooked
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Great to see Ricky Stuart whinging like a baby about JB's agent. Nobody whinges like an aussie.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

I thought Canberra had come out and said they couldn't afford him for 2021?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

southportcdm wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:11 am Great to see Ricky Stuart whinging like a baby about JB's agent. Nobody whinges like an aussie.
They even whinge about us whinging. Always found that hilarious.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

John Bateman is leaving Canberra Raiders - will he return to Wigan Warriors?

Speculation linking John Bateman with a possible return to Wigan intensified today after Canberra confirmed he will leave at the end of this season.

The Raiders are releasing the ex-Warriors forward with a year remaining on his deal so he can "pursue other long-term options."

Club CEO Don Furner said it had been a "difficult decision".

Many Wigan fans will be hoping the move paves the way for a return to the club where he became a fans' favourite until his departure at the end of 2018 when the Raiders paid a six-figure transfer fee to recruit him.

The Warriors' position is clear - they would welcome him back if he wants to return to England.

They parted on good terms, he is valued as a player and when he departed there was a loose agreement in place if he returned - with a ballpoint figure of what he may earn.

But Bateman would almost certainly earn more money by remaining in Australia, where he was named Dally M backrower of the year last season.

Struggling NRL sides St George Illawarra, Canterbury Bulldogs and Gold Coast Titans have all been linked with him. Bateman has previously indicated he wants to earn as much as possible during his career for his daughter, Millie, who still lives in England.

Bateman could command a marquee contract in Super League – meaning only £175,000 of his deal would count on the £2.1m salary cap.

But even with that allowance he would surely need to take a financial hit to return home. Wigan's income from the Sky Sports TV deal is around £300,000 less because of the coronavirus crisis and all clubs have lost revenue from so many games being wiped out.

The NRL's official website reports Wigan have tabled a four-year deal worth around £250,000 a season. Canterbury's offer is around £350,000 a season for three years.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart, who has also recruited Ryan Sutton, George Williams - as well as youngster Harry Rushton for 2021 - from Wigan, pointed the finger at Bateman's controversial agent, Isaac Moses.

He said: "I'm proud of the club for putting a timeline on it. We were sick of waiting. It's disappointing, John is a world-class player and to lose him disappoints me.

We've worked so hard to build a strong roster and to have players pulled out of it, disappoints me, the way the game allows it.

"The game really need to help clubs in regards to how we have to deal with certain managers, in the way they agitate clubs and manipulate communications to suit them only. It's not always in the best interests of the players."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rs-2898819
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Ricky Stuart
He said: “John is a big part of the squad, and he’s a world-class player, so to lose him really disappoints me because we here at the club have worked so hard to build a strong roster. *

“And then you have players getting pulled out of it the way John has, it’s really disappointed me.

It disappoints me the way the game allows it.**

“I feel as though the game really needs to help clubs in regards to how we have to deal with certain managers over the way they agitate clubs and how they manipulate communications and negotiations to suit them and them only.***

“It’s not always in the best interest of the player and it disappoints me because it’s so hard to build a strong roster.
”****
*And Wigan Warriors work very hard too in producing these players! Some from a very young age!

**It disappoints the club & the fans the way our club tends to be the first place NRL clubs look!

***The hierarchy of the game should put a limit on how many players can be poached to the NRL in any given period.

***Yes we know the agents are a lot to blame for pushing the idea of making more money appear so lucrative to the players but it doesn’t always work out in the players favour but definitely does in the agents!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:40 am Ricky Stuart
He said: “John is a big part of the squad, and he’s a world-class player, so to lose him really disappoints me because we here at the club have worked so hard to build a strong roster. *

“And then you have players getting pulled out of it the way John has, it’s really disappointed me.

It disappoints me the way the game allows it.**

“I feel as though the game really needs to help clubs in regards to how we have to deal with certain managers over the way they agitate clubs and how they manipulate communications and negotiations to suit them and them only.***

“It’s not always in the best interest of the player and it disappoints me because it’s so hard to build a strong roster.
”****
*And Wigan Warriors work very hard too in producing these players! Some from a very young age!

**It disappoints the club & the fans the way our club tends to be the first place NRL clubs look!

***The hierarchy of the game should put a limit on how many players can be poached to the NRL in any given period.

***Yes we know the agents are a lot to blame for pushing the idea of making more money appear so lucrative to the players but it doesn’t always work out in the players favour but definitely does in the agents!
Brilliant post Josie