Wigan Warriors fixtures revealed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors fixtures revealed

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan will restart their Super League campaign with a clash against Wakefield on Sunday, August 9 - at Headingley.

The fixtures for the rest of the trimmed-down season - now 22 rounds, instead of 29 - have been revealed.

Wigan had played seven games before the season was halted in mid-March with them on top of the ladder - meaning they have 15 games still to go to try and secure a top-four spot.

Leeds' home ground will stage all round eight games - three on Saturday, three on Sunday - with St Helens and Warrington successively hosting the following two rounds. They will all be behind-closed-doors and all televised by Sky Sports.

The hope is limited crowds will be allowed back into venues from September, so venues and dates have not been confirmed from that point.

Wigan will play two midweek games - against St Helens on Wednesday, Sep 30 and Toronto on Weds Oct 14.

Their Challenge Cup tie with Warrington is expected to take place on the weekend of Aug 23. The play-offs – comprising four teams - are scheduled for mid/late-November, while

the Grand Final will take place at the end of November. The matches will be played without scrums and with the new ‘six-again’ rule.

Warriors' full fixtures are below - the (h) and (a) indicate how the fixtures have been published in case teams are able to use their own grounds then, but venues have yet to be confirmed. Toronto are expected to play their remaining 'home' games in the UK but Catalans plan to stage their home matches in France

Wigan Warriors' fixtures:

R8 Sun, Aug 9: Wakefield (at Leeds, 3.15pm)

R9 Sat, Aug 15: Leeds (at St Helens, 6.30pm).

R10 Sun, Aug 30: Catalans (at Warrington, 3.15pm).

R11 Sep 3/4: Hull KR (a) TBC

R12 Sep 10/11: Catalans (a) TBC

R13 Sep 24/25: Wakefield (h) TBC

R14 Sep 30: St Helens (h) TBC

R15 Oct 8/9: Warrington (a) TBC

R16 Oct 14: Toronto (a) TBC

R17 Oct 22/23: Salford (h) TBC

R18 Oct 25/26: Castleford (h) TBC

R19 Oct 29/30: St Helens (a) TBC

R15 Oct 8/9: Warrington (a) TBC

R16 Oct 14: Toronto (a) TBC

R17 Oct 22/23: Salford (h) TBC

R18 Oct 25/26: Castleford (h) TBC

R19 Oct 29/30: St Helens (a) TBC

R20 Nov 5/6: Huddersfield (h) TBC

R21 Nov 8/9: Leeds (a) TBC

R22 Nov 12/13: Hull FC (a) TBC

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ed-2915387
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
doc

Re: Wigan Warriors fixtures revealed

Post by doc »

Well Trump Jnr. has just announced that sports stadia are to be opened in October. That means we just miss out on the Saints derby scheduled for Wednesday September 30th, unless we get to use it as one of the trial events in front of a crowd that may happen earlier. That gives us 3 home matches, possibly four if we are at home in the play offs before the end of the season. Hope they give free admission to ST holders for the play off game if we are at home to make up for the 7 matches we will have missed.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Looks like the powers that matter (Hetherington) have arranged for Leeds to end up top of the league having been allowed to play their first 3 matches at home, how many do we get?
Surely Leeds home matches should have been at TWS?
Answers on a postcard stapled to a fiver.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

It’s ok, the way the city of Leeds will be celebrating promotion to the premier league this weekend, they will be back in lockdown before the first round of games.

Can’t work out why we can’t play at home, the way football is doing. It’s not like we are going to clash as their season is over.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

First Try Tickle wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:37 am It’s ok, the way the city of Leeds will be celebrating promotion to the premier league this weekend, they will be back in lockdown before the first round of games.

Can’t work out why we can’t play at home, the way football is doing. It’s not like we are going to clash as their season is over.
+1
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I'd have thought that playing 3 matches at one venue increases the risk of spreading the virus. Do they sanitise the changing rooms/corridors/directors box/subs benches between games?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:54 pm I'd have thought that playing 3 matches at one venue increases the risk of spreading the virus. Do they sanitise the changing rooms/corridors/directors box/subs benches between games?
Not 100% but I think their will be extra changing facilities for each team and support staff at each venue. I've heard that Wigan will change at the fish and chip shop on Headingley Lane when we have to play fixtures at Leeds :lol:

Although the "temperature test" does not tell you whether some one has covid or not - just simply if a person has a raised temperature (and if you are not in agreement with this then read up on checking temperature guidelines on the WHO website)

I do agree that someone could play that might have been in contact with someone who is positive for the virus

I sincerely hope that all the spitting and swilling of the mouth then regurgitating fluids is stopped during the games otherwise we will raise the likelihood that those who play later matches WILL have raised chances of catching the virus if it has been undetected and then simply spat out onto the pitch
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll: