RFL chase £300,000 from Super League to bin promotion

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

RFL chase £300,000 from Super League to bin promotion

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Re: RFL chase £300,000 from Super League to bin promotion

Post by DaveO »

I thought they had said the lower leagues are cancelled for the 2020 season?

Even if they aren't, are they seriously suggesting a few games should decided who is worthy to be promoted to SL? It smacks of just trying to squeeze £300K out of SL on a pretence if they don't cough up they will demand a side be promoted after a few games.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

As per usual with RL the problem is a little "dirtier" than simply suggested.

Both Leigh and Featherstone had threatened legal action against the RFL if the (at that time) proposed suspension of the leagues went ahead. This was a contradictory stance to all the other teams who wished for their staff to remain furloughed with fans unable to attend games,

How does the RFL sort this out?

I would guess this money is going to both Leigh and Featherstone in way of some compensation to prevent a costly legal challenge at a time when the sport is on its knees financially anyways. Toronto do not get relegated and for now - all are happy to cut their losses away from a disastrously mismanaged restart for the game
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

There might be something in that. The Leigh chairman who has been absent from social media for a while suddenly popped up again and has been offering any six Leigh players Toronto might like for free, wages paid, so they can complete the season.

I think both Leigh and Fev volunteered to take Toronto's place for the remainder of the season prior to this. :roll:

So the £300k thing looks just all part of this general mischief making nonsense.