Powell wants to finish career at Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Powell wants to finish career at Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan’s Sam Powell admits he wants to see out his career with the club.

The 28-year-old is approaching 200 appearances for the Warriors having made his debut back in 2012.

With his current contract due to run out in 2021, Powell is adamant there is nowhere else he would rather play and is hopeful of another extension

“I love everything about Wigan, it is a great club and I have always been happy here,” Powell told Serious About Rugby League.

“It is a great club. I never take one second for granted here and I would love to be able to sign again as well as playing the whole of my career here.

“ The five months off was tough, being away from your teammates and playing made us all the more grateful to return.

“The lads’ attitude has been fantastic. They are a great bunch to play alongside and one of the many reasons why I would love to stay here for the foreseeable future.”

Since the Super League resumed, Wigan have produced two hard-fought wins to cement their place at the top of the table.

Despite their form, the Warriors have a growing injury list and have been relying on their young players to come in and produce the goods.

“We are missing a few players at the moment but some of the young guys who have come in have been excellent so far,” said Powell.

“Several of the forwards who have come in have stood up to the challenge really well and have helped us overcome two difficult games.

“Tom Leuluai’s injury against Wakefield enabled Harry Smith to come in and I liked what he produced against Leeds.

“ He is a quick thinker, has a fantastic left foot on him and has a bright future ahead of him.

“However, he is learning off one of the very best in the league in Jackson Hastings. He is quite young himself but he is one of the best characters on the pitch who leads by example.

“ Between myself, Bevan (French), Jackson, Tom and Harry, we have a great combination.

“We play and work for each other. We are trying to improve week on week and I feel as though we are easily capable of getting some more silverware this season.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/powell-w ... gan-32271/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Powell wants to finish career at Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

One of the most underrated players at our club, who other players & coaches rate highly but sadly a lot of our fans do not 🥴
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I'd be more than happy if he played out his career at Wigan. Not a glamour player but knows his way around a rugby field. Also his work rate his very good. Sam's an excellent player and I'm glad when I see his name on the team sheet each week. `
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Fully agree. He has been admirably consistent, and not only that, has worked on and improved his game lately. I would be very happy to see him remain at the club. And let's not forget: everyone talks about his defence and work-rate, but remember also, this is the bloke who can kick a drop-goal from the halfway line! :lol:
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Been saying it for awhile,Powell is a fine player who does as his coaches ask of him and more besides, i dont like the argument that hes got better under Lam,maybe he has but I suspect he would've got better with age and experience rather than just the influence of one coach, but thats just me.

Next Wigan captain for my money.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Solid, dependable, consistent - yes. Creative, dangerous, flair - no. So I guess it's a case of what you want from what is, without doubt, a very important role in modern rugby league. As someone has said, Sam seems to be very well respected around the club so maybe (probably) I know nothing! But I'd still like to see a 9 with much more of the creative etc than Sam gives us for the next 5 or 6 years.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

For my money, there is no doubt Powell gives his all week in week out!

Personally I think Powell has been hindered by the confusion over whether he plays 7 or 9! I've said before, he is a disaster at 7 and there is no doubt IMO that he is a hooker! I think its took him longer to adapt to being a permanent fixture at hooker.

I think Powell is often in the spotlight because historically we've had natural hookers such as Newton, Higham and Micky Mac who have all been very consistent and solid. I also think Powell's ability is questioned when you look at the likes of Roby, McShane, Clark, Houghton etc who offer more IMO.

I dont think Powell is poor at all but like others, I do think the team would benefit by a more accomplished hooker.
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

The opinion on Powell is split 50/50, so many think this news is great whereas so many don't think he is good enough. As stated before he is great in defence and works hard all game, but hooker is such a pivotable role in attack and his passing speed and attacking play really lets us down compared with Roby, Clarke, Houghton and Micky Mac. People say he's a workhorse, but anyone playing in the middle of the pitch would be.

When Saints are missing Roby, or Warrington missing Clarke, then the opposition fans think great news, but I don't think that ever happens when Powell is missing for us and that just about sums him up for me.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I agree with other people Powell is always going to split fans because he is a "non special" player. That doesnt mean he is bad by any stretch but he will never turn a match on its head .

Im getting a little fed up of this "coaches like him" argument too, he's dependable, he trains well, no problems off the pitch, comes across incredibly level headed and gives you 100% effort every match OF COURSE THEY LIKE HIM! it does not make him a "great" player

put it this way why has Wane not included him in the England set up? coaches rate him so highly? just not as high as a nearly 35 year old with 500 matches in his legs, Wane coached him for years so that rate highly soon went once give the choice of other hookers. He just isnt at the sharp end of hookers in the league .

Problem is people who are his fans want you to believe he is better than he is
his critics want you to believe hes worse than he is

the true answer is he is somewhere in the middle
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:48 pm
Problem is people who are his fans want you to believe he is better than he is
his critics want you to believe hes worse than he is

the true answer is he is somewhere in the middle
That's it for me. He's in the middle. That's not a bad thing.

My hope is that if a better prospect popped up we wouldn't value "coaches like him" over actual quality.

That said he is a steady player with 8 years at the club and quite frankly that is what we need right now imo. Someone who knows the club and has a level head. He can help Hastings adjust and help Smith come through.