New Investor

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
warriors01

Re: New Investor

Post by warriors01 »

Are we sure that we are talking about the right guy as the name listed on the open corporates is Michael Thomas Danson and there is someone who is a CEO Globaldata, who did a degree at Oxford.
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Yep, its ok found the link it was The New Statesman that threw me. this guy is worth a fortune. Cant believe he wants to invest in us. Lets hope they are the new buyers.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

warriors01 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:34 am Are we sure that we are talking about the right guy as the name listed on the open corporates is Michael Thomas Danson and there is someone who is a CEO Globaldata, who did a degree at Oxford.
From a post above:

"Danson, 55, a former management consultant, sold his Datamonitor market research group in 2007 for £502m and his proceeds and previous share sales came to £193m. He has since built up City-based information provider GlobalData, which after its float is a £625.3m operation. Danson sold a 1.4% stake worth £7.6m last October but retains a 68.1% holding valued at £425m, up £80m in a year. He acquired the New Statesman in 2008"

Hopefully our new short sponsors will be the New Statesman. Ian.Birchall is ripping up his season ticket no doubt.

Joking aside I have never been comfortable of having just one main owner so this is good news. It's always been a case of if IL gets hit by a bus then what? I know other family members are listed as owners but it doesn't follow they are as interested in the club as IL is. Someone new coming on board obviously is.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Hopefully he's been tempted to come on board by the prospect of Latics and stadium ownership as well as warriors. Seems more viable with more assets if the stadium is part of the package with both tenants.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Tricky Dicky1

Post by Tricky Dicky1 »

ddtftf wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:27 am This gives a clue that a consortium is in place to buy the club including Lenagan who previously owned Oxford FC looks like they were old buddies. I heard on my last post that Lennagan had bought the club from a very reliable source so fingers crossed
I assume you are referring to latics when you say have bought the club.

It would be great if the rugby could get the controlling stake in the DW stadium
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

lucky 13 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:09 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:15 pm If it’s true and let’s fair so far it’s just a post on a forum then I think it’s good planning by Lenegan,he’s not always going to be here and maybe the family don’t have the same love of the club
if you follow this
https://opencorporates.com/companies/gb/00174692
That should show Wigan Warriors RLFC you can see he's been added to our owners list along with Mr Lenegan, his son Simon and his sister.
Not sure on % .
Simon Lenegan is also a fan.
Cheers for that.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

He's invested in Lenagan's company, Lenagan Investments Ltd, which owns the club. That means he's not necessarily directly investing in Wigan RL. Given Lenagan is one of the bidders for Latics, I'd assume that Lenagan Investments is the company that would buy Latics if he was successful. He would need someone on board with a fair amount of money to buy Latics so that may well be Danson. The idea was to bring both clubs under one organisation so any investor would inevitably have shares in both clubs.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

He may of invested in IL other interests I' have not looked, but he's now listed with direct investment to Wigan as a % ,owner ie Wigan rugby club LTD.
I hope it's a sign we have now someone to help fund the take over and stadium ownership.
It was all kicking off last night on twitter over some claim that the Administrators was selling individual assets to obtain the best deal for creditors which would be exactly what their there to do . With threat of legal actions against certain allegations.
Reading about this, while some see IL as being OK others see it as defeat to the egg chasers. Others see IL as a last resort and so on. Personally the stadium could be used better. Semifinals tour games was always held there with it in owners hands who are RL that's back on the agenda. I imagine whoever buys the ground will want Latics playing there 20 to 30 home games a year with I guess 5000 fsns per game helps any costs .The football also has it's own training ground but with Robinpark would IL want/need to maintain that. Sure this weeks the deadline. They have someone who posted about an American bid but Admins say they have not received any offer so are dealing with serious interested parties.
The football fans think the Admins are ignoring the Americans because they want the IL bid which is a little conspiracy madness some just don't want the RL to seemingly have won.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

DaveO wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:30 pm
warriors01 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:34 am Are we sure that we are talking about the right guy as the name listed on the open corporates is Michael Thomas Danson and there is someone who is a CEO Globaldata, who did a degree at Oxford.
From a post above:

"Danson, 55, a former management consultant, sold his Datamonitor market research group in 2007 for £502m and his proceeds and previous share sales came to £193m. He has since built up City-based information provider GlobalData, which after its float is a £625.3m operation. Danson sold a 1.4% stake worth £7.6m last October but retains a 68.1% holding valued at £425m, up £80m in a year. He acquired the New Statesman in 2008"

Hopefully our new short sponsors will be the New Statesman. IanBirchall is ripping up his season ticket no doubt.

Joking aside I have never been comfortable of having just one main owner so this is good news. It's always been a case of if IL gets hit by a bus then what? I know other family members are listed as owners but it doesn't follow they are as interested in the club as IL is. Someone new coming on board obviously is.
No worries for me there if the man has millions to splash on us I'm all for him.
The only time I spat the dummy was when we had the disgrace of employing The Australian Pillock, aka Millward, as coach. When he was sacked in short order I soon came back to the fold although I did lose my seat on the halfway line row M in the West Stand which I wangled through my contact at Wigan before the season tickets went on general sale when we played our first game there.
Small price to pay as it got rid of Millward but there is still the residual stain on our reputation from ever employing him. :cry:
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
DaveO

New Investor

Post by DaveO »

EagleEyePie wrote:He's invested in Lenagan's company, Lenagan Investments Ltd, which owns the club. That means he's not necessarily directly investing in Wigan RL. Given Lenagan is one of the bidders for Latics, I'd assume that Lenagan Investments is the company that would buy Latics if he was successful. He would need someone on board with a fair amount of money to buy Latics so that may well be Danson. The idea was to bring both clubs under one organisation so any investor would inevitably have shares in both clubs.
He’s listed as a beneficial owner of Wigan RL alongside IL and other IL family members. He’s bought 25% stake in the club, not Lenagan Investments.

The speculation now is IL will bid for Latics share of the DW and if the administrators sell then that money will reduce Latics debt and thus make them a more attractive buy or put another way, make any money offered for Latics more likely to match what the administrators want.