Wigan Athletic administrator plays down 'bidder friendship'

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Wigan Athletic administrator plays down 'bidder friendship'

Post by josie andrews »

Administrator Gerald Krasner has moved to distance himself from Norman Smurthwaite - one of the interested parties in taking control of Wigan Athletic.

Smurthwaite, 60, is believed to be one of the frontrunners alongside an American consortium fronted by Gauthier Ganaye, the chief executive at Belgian side Oostende.

While the American interest has been largely well received among the Latics fanbase, Smurthwaite's attempts to take control have had a less than positive reaction.

Smurthwaite was widely criticised following his spell in charge at Port Vale, with a number of Vale supporters having taken to social media to fill their Latics counterparts in on what went wrong.

Given Vale were in administration when Smurthwaite took charge in 2012/13 - with Krasner's firm involved in the deal - it's not taken long for some Latics fans to join the dots.

Krasner, though, insists that has no bearing on the negotiations to buy Latics.

"I've been accused by quite a few of selling to a friend of mine, Norman Smurthwaite," Krasner said.

"I was an administrator at Port Vale, it must be six or seven years ago.

But I was not the lead administrator, my partner Mr (Bob) Young, who lived in Stoke, dealt with the sale.

"I never met Mr Smurthwaite, I never spoke to him, I didn't even know the name.

"I handled a completely different aspect of that administration.

"That doesn't make me not responsible for the sale, because we are all responsible for everything.

"But I want to make two things clear...I never met the guy until recently, and I did not do the sale of Port Vale to him.

"He's made himself public, which is a very silly thing to do."

Krasner insists all interested parties remain in the race - and he has no preferences as to who will eventually take over.

"They (the fans) didn't want (Ian) Lenegan, they don't want Smurthwaite, they want the Americans," he told Supporters Club representative Barry Worthington in a Q&A.

"To be honest, I don't mind who buys it. But they have to pay the right price."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/footba ... ip-2959402
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan Athletic administrator plays down 'bidder friendship'

Post by josie andrews »

Krasner insists all interested parties remain in the race - and he has no preferences as to who will eventually take over.

"They (the fans) didn't want (Ian) Lenegan, *they don't want Smurthwaite, they want the Americans," he told Supporters Club representative Barry Worthington in a Q&A.

"To be honest, I don't mind who buys it. But they have to pay the right price."
*Excuse me! Beggars can’t be choosers!

And, Mr Krasner, you should have a bit more respect for potential buyers! It’s Mr Lenegan
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

Seems to me that some Latics fans hate the rugby more than they love Latics.

Indicative of the times I reckon.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It’s laughable isn’t it?

Truth is IL knows how to run a successful sports club these Athletic “fans” don’t seem to want this by the looks of it but would rather go in for more fun and games with unknown people.

I think as well the administrator has got to close to the fan group,they should have either sold the club by now or wound it up,it’s dragging on