Powell wants to finish career at Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Powell wants to finish career at Wigan

Post by pedro »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:42 pm
DaveO wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:05 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:58 am

Thanks for the honest and considered reply.

I asked myself the same question after looking at both their stats, and came to the same conclusion.

I also think about the differences between the likes of Kiss, Dermott, Hall, Riddell, McIlorum - but we had success with all of them. It's the intangible factors like the team's style, how the hooker blends with the other players: "A team is greater than the sum of its parts".

Coaches are more aware of factors like leadership, not just on the field but around the club, and with younger players in particular. Compare SP with Sam T in this respect! There's also the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" argument with Sam - not that it will carry much weight with certain posters.
No, there really, really isn't. Both yours and the previous post are just making up excuses for sticking with an average player. If Mo Lindsay had this attitude we'd have never seen the likes of Hanley, Offiah, Gill, Bell and many more at Wigan because we already had players who could do a job in their positions. The idea we wouldn't sign a better hooker because Powell with all his faults blends with other players is nuts. It's the coaches job to sort that out and if our coach couldn't make use of a better hooker we'd need a new coach as well as a new hooker.
Exactly as expected - cut & paste previous posts.

Lindsay was in the past. Gone. History. They were different times. We won pretty much everything, largely because we "splashed the cash" and, for a long period, were the only full-time pro team in a semi-pro sport.

Great days, but they're gone. Happy memories, but they can't act as a guide to now, 2020.

Is the "culture" of a club, especially ours, important? What influences that culture?

Who were/are the influences on Smithies, Byrne, Partington Havard, Smith etc etc, who are doing so well for us? The coaching staff - sure. But surely the senior players too?

So Lockers, Powell, Leuluai have played a part behind the scenes in the great crop of young lads we have.

This is one example of what I was saying about coaches picking Powell - they see this, and many other qualities as well as his on-field performance.

Dave, we understand that you want us to be dominant, as in Uncle Mo's time, but it's not like that any more. And Sam is better than you think.
Leeds were the first fully pro team
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

pedro wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:33 am
morley pie eater wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:42 pm
DaveO wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:05 pm

No, there really, really isn't. Both yours and the previous post are just making up excuses for sticking with an average player. If Mo Lindsay had this attitude we'd have never seen the likes of Hanley, Offiah, Gill, Bell and many more at Wigan because we already had players who could do a job in their positions. The idea we wouldn't sign a better hooker because Powell with all his faults blends with other players is nuts. It's the coaches job to sort that out and if our coach couldn't make use of a better hooker we'd need a new coach as well as a new hooker.
Exactly as expected - cut & paste previous posts.

Lindsay was in the past. Gone. History. They were different times. We won pretty much everything, largely because we "splashed the cash" and, for a long period, were the only full-time pro team in a semi-pro sport.

Great days, but they're gone. Happy memories, but they can't act as a guide to now, 2020.

Is the "culture" of a club, especially ours, important? What influences that culture?

Who were/are the influences on Smithies, Byrne, Partington Havard, Smith etc etc, who are doing so well for us? The coaching staff - sure. But surely the senior players too?

So Lockers, Powell, Leuluai have played a part behind the scenes in the great crop of young lads we have.

This is one example of what I was saying about coaches picking Powell - they see this, and many other qualities as well as his on-field performance.

Dave, we understand that you want us to be dominant, as in Uncle Mo's time, but it's not like that any more. And Sam is better than you think.
Leeds were the first fully pro team
Stop telling the truth pedro.....lol....... lots of teams tried buying success....... wigan were just better at it than them all....... the team that pushed wigan most ( in the early 80s) was wire, and they had there share of,arguably, cast offs and wigan rejects.... leeds bought everyone and couldnt compete........ fact
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

A quality performance from Sam Powell today. Defence and attack both outstanding. Wouldn't swap him for any other hooker in the league right now except possibly Clark.
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

Replace Lockers with Powell and bring in a new hooker, Job sorted :D
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:42 pm A quality performance from Sam Powell today. Defence and attack both outstanding. Wouldn't swap him for any other hooker in the league right now except possibly Clark.
Wouldn’t swap him with Clark either!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'm not sure I would swap him either, but what does seem clear is that Clark is playing in a side that is starting to hit its straps and look like a effective team outfit in attack and defence. Sam Powell does not have that luxury right now.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Some of the othere players looked like they wanted to finish there careers at Wigan after last nights performance
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Very difficult to judge anybody accurately in such a poor overall team performance but I thought Borough did well in his first game for a long time. It's important that Amir continues to develop because he offers something that Sam doesn't and we can't expect Sam to play 80 mins week after week if we want him to survive the season intact.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Thought he had a great game against Catalans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JimmyMagnets

Post by JimmyMagnets »

Wes wrote:Thought he had a great game against Catalans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
100% Agree!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk