21-man squad vs Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
First Try Tickle

Re: 21-man squad vs Hull KR

Post by First Try Tickle »

We were out coached by a very, very experienced coach.

He picked out our main threat of French and Hastings and put good tacklers on both of them. He then picked out weaker tackling props like Byrne and Clarke and ran from dummy half when they were around the ruck.

He also knew we had quite a few returning from lay offs and therefore would just want to run and not play their game. These would not want the big hits and Gildart and Manfredi showed this.

By biggest issue is we have one of the best full backs in the game, but he's been move to accommodate a player who's positioning in defence is often shocking. Where was he or the try down the middle, think he must have been chatting with Sinfield in the stand.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:53 pm So, to sum up:

•Lam, Lockers and Flower to go immediately;
•Shorrocks, Clark, Byrne, G Burgess, Isa and Partington are not up to it;
•French to wing, Hardaker to full back, Hastings to 13;
•Bibby a centre not a winger, though when we signed him he was a winger not a centre;
•Stop split halves, replace Powell, Tommy to retire.

I only read the last two pages of posts, so please excuse me if I missed anybody.

I can picture Corporal Jones running around like a headless chicken saying "Don't panic!", and Private Frazer saying "We're doomed...doomed!"
And the Germans haven't invaded yet, we just lost one match with half of our first choice team sitting it out.

I'd love it if we'd had a fans' forum in the 70s. What would they have made of Hornby, Whittle, Martland, Blackwood, Breheny, and the rest?
Think you’ve been abit harsh with some of your opinions. I do agree lockers needs to retire, if he goes on another season I’m sorry but that’s a disaster, I’ve always said I’ve had doubts about Lam we’ve been winning games but we’ve really not been that convincing.
I do like french as a signing but don’t think we should be moving Hardaker from FB to accommodate him, as I do think Hardaker is the best FB in the league.
I agree burgess and Clark need to pull there finger out as they are dragging the team down, Isa has never been an outstanding player he’s just a work horse.
You need to give shorrocks, bryne and partington a break, better coaching would make them better players as there still young.
Really disagree with you about Powell. He’s been our best player this year most consistent by far. And I’m not a Powell fan! It’s nice to be proven wrong
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:42 pm

•Bibby a centre not a winger, though when we signed him he was a winger not a centre;

I only read the last two pages of posts, so please excuse me if I missed anybody.

I can picture Corporal Jones running around like a headless chicken saying "Don't panic!", and Private Frazer saying "We're doomed...doomed!"
And the Germans haven't invaded yet, we just lost one match with half of our first choice team sitting it out.

I'd love it if we'd had a fans' forum in the 70s. What would they have made of Hornby, Whittle, Martland, Blackwood, Breheny, and the rest?
Think you’ve been abit harsh with some of your opinions. I do agree lockers needs to retire, if he goes on another season I’m sorry but that’s a disaster, I’ve always said I’ve had doubts about Lam we’ve been winning games but we’ve really not been that convincing.
I do like french as a signing but don’t think we should be moving Hardaker from FB to accommodate him, as I do think Hardaker is the best FB in the league.
I agree burgess and Clark need to pull there finger out as they are dragging the team down, Isa has never been an outstanding player he’s just a work horse.
You need to give shorrocks, bryne and partington a break, better coaching would make them better players as there still young.
Really disagree with you about Powell. He’s been our best player this year most consistent by far. And I’m not a Powell fan! It’s nice to be proven wrong
those arent Morley Pie Eaters opinions, but a brief summary of the last 2 out of the 10-11 pages of comments regarding last nights match. God knows how long they would have been if they had managed to read them all :)
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

moto748 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:18 pm It was a poor and directionless performance worthy of criticism, morley.

Because some criticisms may seem unfair or invalid, doesn't mean that all are.
Didn't say any were unfair, Moto. My point was that, collectively, they might be just a wee bit of an over-reaction? "The end of the world is nigh" sort of stuff.

I find it quite entertaining tbh.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

the pieman wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:50 pm
Barney841 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:42 pm

those arent Morley Pie Eaters opinions, but a brief summary of the last 2 out of the 10-11 pages of comments regarding last nights match. God knows how long they would have been if they had managed to read them all :)

Thanks, pieman. :D
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Ok that’s fine.
Have to say though a lot of how we’re playing is down to Lam.
Wasn’t of a fan of Wanes tactics but we did know how dominate and take control of a game then
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:36 pm
moto748 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:18 pm It was a poor and directionless performance worthy of criticism, morley.

Didn't say any were unfair, Moto. My point was that, collectively, they might be just a wee bit of an over-reaction? "The end of the world is nigh" sort of stuff.

I find it a bit boring tbh. You can predict the quantity and content of posts just from the scoreline. I bearly read them these days.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Mike wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:24 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:36 pm

I find it a bit boring tbh. You can predict the quantity and content of posts just from the scoreline. I bearly read them these days.
I think it's a function of social media, replacing the "man at the bar" who knows everything. Everybody can have their opinion and has a right to broadcast it. It's good and democratic in theory, though it has its obvious drawbacks. (false news/conspiracy theories etc). Here it's harmless and entertaining.

Personally, I look for the posters who know what they're talking about (what's happened to SEFC recently?) who I can learn something from, and take them seriously. Apart from that it's just entertainment listening to the "fantasy team managers" buying & selling players, running the club, switching players' positions, and so on.

I admit I occasionally like to provoke a reaction, but can't hold a candle to Meds in that department :D :D :D
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

He's not doing too well with his Lockers posts at the moment though eh? And the Hastings posts aren't gaining any traction either. Maybe he's losing his touch. Heart not in it anymore?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:11 pm
Personally, I look for the posters who know what they're talking about
how do you identify them, and how many fall into this select group?