John Bateman talks Wigan return, family reunion and his struggles during lockdown

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

John Bateman talks Wigan return, family reunion and his struggles during lockdown

Post by josie andrews »

John Bateman has opened up about his struggles during lockdown, admitting he was “all over the place”.

The coronavirus pandemic prevented the Wigan-bound forward’s family from visiting him in Canberra.

And that misery was compounded when he discovered he would need a second shoulder operation which left him fearing his career may be over.

Bateman, though, made a full recovery and has played five matches for the Green Machine as they charge towards the play-offs. “It was one of the toughest times of my career,” he told Canberra’s ‘Behind the Limelight’ podcast.

Covid came, then I had to train from home and it was a downward spiral - and then I had to have another shoulder op. It really got to me, to be fair.

“I didn’t know if my shoulder was going to get better.

"My head went, I didn’t know what to do. I was all over the place, I wanted to see my family - they were due to come over as well at the time, so I was upset I wouldn’t see them. I had times at home, getting upset about it... I’m just looking forward to seeing my little girl, my mum, my brother.

A couple of months ago I couldn’t talk about them without getting worried, you start thinking the worst.

“It’s easy to say when you’ve come out the other side, but you have to take it day by day and go from there, it helps massively.”

Bateman, a World Club Challenge and two-time Grand Final winner with Wigan, cut short his Canberra contract to sign a marquee deal with the Warriors from 2021.

“When the deal came about with Wigan - we had to go a bit of back and forth - but when it suited me I ended up signing,” he said.

“I’m really close to my family, I’ll look after them first and that played a big part in my decision.”

He hopes he can bow out of Canberra the same way he left Wigan in ‘18 - with a Grand Final triumph.

And he admits he has watched last year’s title-deciding defeat to the Sydney Roosters to feed his motivation. The 26-year-old added: “There’s no other way I want to finish that with a winner’s medal.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... wn-2959151
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: John Bateman talks Wigan return, family reunion and his struggles during lockdown

Post by josie andrews »

John Bateman 'never say never' to Canberra Raiders return

Canberra have left the door ajar for John Bateman to return to the NRL club.

The Raiders have released Bateman from the final year of his contract to allow him to return to Wigan next season on a four-year marquee deal.

Bateman says he is committed to his Warriors contract but told Sydney's Daily Telegraph he has the option to reunite with coach Ricky Stuart at Canberra down the track.

“I spoke to Ricky about it last week and he was asking me a few questions about it all. I told him that I was really looking forward to going home and seeing my family, spending time with them,” the 26-year-old told the Daily Telegraph.

If in a couple of years time I decide I want to come back, Ricky said there would be an offer for me there.

“The club, myself and Ricky we’ve always been on civil grounds. Ricky said if I do ever want to come back to let him know.

“It’s been the best time of my life, the best rugby league that I have played since I started playing over here. You never say never.”

Bateman played 132 games for Wigan and won two grand finals between 2014 and 2018.

I’m signed for Wigan for the next few years and I’m really looking forward to going back home," added Bateman. He had previously opened up about his struggles during lockdown, hereCanberra, who also have George Williams and Ryan Sutton on their books, play Sydney Roosters tomorrow (10.35am kick-off) in a game which sees Sonny Bill Williams return to the

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rn-2961333
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Re: John Bateman talks Wigan return, family reunion and his struggles during lockdown

Post by josie andrews »

Bloody hell! He’s not even left before he’s talking of going back!
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

He can stay at Canberra for me after this , Hasn't even pulled on the Wigan shirt yet ffs
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Stop over reacting. It’s good that he has a good relationship with Stuart and is leaving on good terms.

The problem with these articles is you don’t know what questions got asked to get the answers we are reading about.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

Calm down.

If he says “no comment” people think he’s hiding something. If he says “I want to stay in Britain for the rest of my career” he risks never going to NRL at a later date. Can’t win.

The fact he moved back due to family reasons because he misses his daughter, I don’t see why if his personal circumstances changed and his family and him were able to go out there then he may be off. And if he does go I will be happy for him. He deserves to play in the NRL he’s a brilliant player and seems like a good man with family at his heart. Enjoy him whilst he’s here.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Richymac wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:24 pm Calm down.

If he says “no comment” people think he’s hiding something. If he says “I want to stay in Britain for the rest of my career” he risks never going to NRL at a later date. Can’t win.

The fact he moved back due to family reasons because he misses his daughter, I don’t see why if his personal circumstances changed and his family and him were able to go out there then he may be off. And if he does go I will be happy for him. He deserves to play in the NRL he’s a brilliant player and seems like a good man with family at his heart. Enjoy him whilst he’s here.
Where's the like button 👍
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

Heres an idea, Don't say anything in the first place, Job sorted, everybody happy
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

Wormburner wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:42 pm Heres an idea, Don't say anything in the first place, Job sorted, everybody happy
As I mentioned earlier. If he’s asked the question about if he’ll be back and says “no comment” then the story in the Telegraph reads “Bateman cagey over future return” and they would write a piece saying how odd it is that he’s so tight-lipped about it.

It’s an article designed to sell papers and cause disruption to sell more papers.

Again, if he goes back then he goes back. But the reasons why he has come back mean he probably won’t or not soon at least. So if you don’t want him back then that’s up to you. I for one will enjoy seeing him tear it up for us whilst he’s still here.

Finally, your issue is that he hasn’t come here yet and you reckon he wants to go back. But you’ve written him off saying you don’t want him here before he’s even back. A tad hypocritical.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Don’t get sucked in by wormburner (medlocke). He’s clearly an old, bitter fan who only posts negativity, is never happy and constantly suggests signing NRL players that are the flavour of the week.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."