Catalans away

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Catalans away

Post by morley pie eater »

I appreciate what you're all saying, but no-one has mentioned that Cats don't get Sky money and we do. They have also had huge travel/accommodation costs to pay over the years.

At a time like this, our beloved game's very existence is under a very real threat. Isn't it a time to think beyond narrow club interests and consider the game as a whole?

If we end up with no Cats and Toronto, RL will look pathetic, and the "M62 corridor" jibes will be true.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:31 pm I appreciate what you're all saying, but no-one has mentioned that Cats don't get Sky money and we do. They have also had huge travel/accommodation costs to pay over the years.

At a time like this, our beloved game's very existence is under a very real threat. Isn't it a time to think beyond narrow club interests and consider the game as a whole?

If we end up with no Cats and Toronto, RL will look pathetic, and the "M62 corridor" jibes will be true.
so cats dont get sky money even when they are on sky?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

pedro wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:04 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:39 pm I think its fine to have 5K fans if their local regulations say its fine. Would you accept Cats saying we can't have 5K fans in the DW because they weren't allowed to? We should be pushing the government to include us in trails of fans in stadiums, not trying to stop teams who can already do this.
no club should be allowed to play at their venue, stinks how saints, wire and leeds can, if they can why cant we? Its obvious the containing isnt working due to how many are catching covid

Lets play every game at wembley!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:46 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:31 pm I appreciate what you're all saying, but no-one has mentioned that Cats don't get Sky money and we do. They have also had huge travel/accommodation costs to pay over the years.

Neither did Toronto.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

Mike wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:54 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:39 pm I think its fine to have 5K fans if their local regulations say its fine. Would you accept Cats saying we can't have 5K fans in the DW because they weren't allowed to? We should be pushing the government to include us in trails of fans in stadiums, not trying to stop teams who can already do this.
no club should be allowed to play at their venue, stinks how saints, wire and leeds can, if they can why cant we? Its obvious the containing isnt working due to how many are catching covid

would be fairer, or just use common sense and let everyone play their home games at home like all the other sports are doing, RU even have fans there....
pedro

Post by pedro »

Cats now get money dont they? Otherwise sky wouldnt be showing this weekends games since bein pulled the plug last year
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

pedro wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:03 pm

Cats now get money dont they? Otherwise sky wouldnt be showing this weekends games since bein pulled the plug last year
Sky are now to get their live feeds from L'Equipe tv, the French sports broadcaster. They will use their entire match production and will have the Sky commentary team set up in a UK studio somewhere (hopefully, social distancing !). They certainly don't (and never have) sent tv crews to Perpignan - actually may have done for the Barcelona game ?
It costs Sky only minimal overheads to do it this way, which is why they stopped live broadcasts when the previous French tv partners pulled out earlier in the season when Covid broke out.
Not sure how much, if any, Catalans receive off Sky for their home games, as there's obviously no benefit to a French audience, who see the local production.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

pedro wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:02 pm
Mike wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:54 pm

would be fairer, or just use common sense and let everyone play their home games at home like all the other sports are doing, RU even have fans there....
So you'd like sky to pay to ship it's gear from one ground to another each week for the privilege of televising the sport right? Oh and there being a whole days gap between every game so they could do the breakdown and setup at everyone's home ground?

The sport is played in a real world where compromises have to be made to play at all, even over "common sense".

The ideal world is one with no pandemic, but that's not where we are.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Mike wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:55 pm
Firestarter wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:46 pm

Neither did Toronto.
I didnt know that
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:54 am
Mike wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:55 pm
Firestarter wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:46 pm so cats dont get sky money even when they are on sky?
Neither did Toronto.
I didnt know that
Thats because Catalans and Toronto set up their own tv rights without SKY.