Change in the table

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Wigan_forever1985

Change in the table

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/54085231

I suppose the main aim is just to get through the season so however we can make that work

theres an irony here that this actually might be the most honest season we've had yet will be the one that everyone even i suspect the winning clubs fans will discount
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Super League update

Post by josie andrews »

The RFL Board have approved a number of changes regarding fixtures, the league table and the salary cap, following discussions with the Super League Board and clubs about the specific challenges of the 2020 Betfred Super League season.

Fixtures / Table

For the first time since the introduction of the Super League in 1996, the final table will be determined by Points Percentage – acknowledging the possibility that not all clubs will be able to play the same number of matches before the end of the regular season, at which point the Top Four clubs will qualify for the Play Offs.

These changes will be introduced immediately – and have a striking effect on the league table – https://www.rugby-league.com/match_centre.

To qualify for the Play Offs, a team must have played a minimum of 15 matches – unless they end the regular season in the Top Four on competition points anyway.

(This stipulation will be reviewed, and could be amended, by the RFL Board if four or more clubs do not complete 15 matches)

For full details of Points Percentage, see Notes below

The threshold for postponement of a fixture will be the non-availability of seven or more of a club’s top 25 players (on salary cap value) for Covid-related reasons – including Test and Trace. (Clubs can still choose to play fixtures in these circumstances)

Following any postponement, the first option will be to rearrange the fixture for one of a number of possible windows (Additional Match Slots) for rearranged fixtures that have been identified – these slots are listed below.

If the two clubs do not have the same Additional Match Slot available, the fixture will not be rearranged.

Salary Cap

To recognise the possible strains on clubs’ playing squads through the combination of positive Covid-19 tests, Test and Trace, and the number of fixtures to be played, two adjustments have been made to the Salary Cap regulations for the 2020 season only:

1 – Clubs can play any player on their register (including players recalled from loan to other clubs) without impacting their Salary Cap, provided the player has a Salary Cap value of £30,000 or less;

2 – If a player who has tested positive for Covid-19 is unable to return after the minimum isolation / return to play periods, their Salary Cap value will be temporarily removed from a club’s Aggregate Liability – allowing the club to sign a replacement.

(for full details, see below)

Simon Johnson, the RFL Chair, said: “As a Board, we recognise the unique challenges this season has presented – and the need for flexibility and creativity in response. It has been an immense logistical effort for all to get the Betfred Super League season up and running – we congratulate all involved, especially the players, and we know that our supporters are enjoying the opportunity to follow regular Super League rugby, whether on Sky Sports, the BBC or the Our League app.

“Like other sports before us, and doubtless others to come, we have to recognise that this is not going to be a normal season. A number of fixtures have already been postponed, affecting some clubs more than others, and we have to allow for the possibility of that pattern continuing.

“These decisions, regarding the rearrangement of fixtures, amendments to the salary cap, and most significantly a new way of determining the league positions, are a realistic and sensible response to those issues – and we hope they will be welcomed by players, coaches, supporters and other stakeholders in that manner.

“The whole sport is doing everything in its power to deliver a Betfred Super League Grand Final later this year that will see the crowning of our 2020 Champions.”

NOTES

League Table and Play Offs

a. At the end of the Regular Season, the Club with the highest Win Points Percentage shall be at the top and the Club with the lowest shall be at the bottom. The Win Points Percentage shall be the number of Matches won by a Club divided by the number of matches played by the Club multiplied by 100.

b. Operational Rule B2:7 shall be further amended so that, where Clubs have an equal Win Points Percentage their relative positions shall be determined by Points Scored Percentage. The Points Scored Percentage is calculated by dividing the number of points scored by a Club by the number of points it concedes and multiplying by 100. If the positions are still equal, positions will be determined by the toss of a coin which shall be carried out at such time and place as the RFL shall direct and those Clubs concerned shall be entitled to witness the toss. NB – this drafting removes all of the usual options that would be impacted by the number of matches played.

c. Subject to the exceptions in (i) and (ii) below, to qualify for the Super League Play Offs a Club must have played a minimum of 15 Super League Matches. If a Club in the Top 4 has not played at least 15 Super League Matches, the next highest rank Club that has played 15 Super League Matches shall take part in the Play Offs (with all Clubs finishing below the removed Club moving up one place to determine the order of Clubs for the purpose of home advantage etc).

i. The above shall not apply and a Club that has played less than 15 Matches shall qualify for the Super League Play Offs where it is in the Top 4 of the League Table based on League Points (with its ranking in the Play Offs also determined by its League Table position based on League Points).

ii. The above shall not apply where 4 or more Clubs in the Super League have played fewer than 15 Matches. In such circumstances, the RFL Board shall have discretion to determine whether there should be a minimum of Matches required to have been played to qualify for the Play Offs and, if so, what that number shall be.

Additional Match Slots

September 17/20 (for clubs not in the Coral Challenge Cup Quarter Finals)
October 3 (for clubs not in the Coral Challenge Cup Semi Finals)
October 18/19 (for clubs not in the Coral Challenge Cup Final)
November 1/2
Salary Cap

The following adjustments to be made to the Salary Cap Regulations.

a. A Club shall be able to play any Player who is already on the Club’s Register (or employed by the Club but who has been (in the 2020 Season) or is currently on loan to another Club) as at 2 September 2020 without that Player increasing the Club’s current Aggregate Liability provided that this dispensation shall only apply in relation to Players with Salary Cap Values of £30,000 or less.

b. Where a Player has tested positive for Covid-19 and is unable to return to play in the minimum time set out in the Covid-19 Medical Standards (“Player A”), the Club shall be entitled to apply for dispensation for his Salary Cap Value to be temporarily removed from the Club’s Aggregate Liability (and accordingly for the Club to be able to sign additional Players up to this amount (“Covid Replacement Player(s)”). If Player A is subsequently named in a 21 Man Squad, then any Covid Replacement Player(s) may not be named in that 21 Man Squad and may not play for the Club again (unless either: (i) Player A does not in fact play in the Match; or (ii) the Club otherwise has space on its Aggregate Liability). The End of Season Signing Deadline will not apply to any signings (Contract or Loan) made pursuant to this dispensation and nor will the cap on Player Registrations.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Change in the table

Post by Mike »

So cats just have to get the covids until the playoffs...

Oh I saw the longer article and they have to get to 15 games.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Re: Super League update

Post by josie andrews »

So Catalans are top & we are now 4th!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Why didn’t they do this from the start,I’ve said on here a few times the season would have to run till mid December to get all of that season and the cup played,in typical rugby league fashion they over reached and now are faced with the u set mining the sport going forward,you can’t keep doing this week after week,Christ it’s bad enough with the bloody government not knowing what they’re going to do with these chancers at SL and the RFL changing every week.

From the restart it should have been done this way,this season is a fecking right off let’s be fair so this is the one to experiment with to see what works,but it has to come in before the start of proceedings surely?

The sport needs to stop pandering to sky (would could drop them yet don’t forget it’s an American company now),stop taking the knee and stop trying to cram in so many games
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Crackers
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I reckon we would have put out a full team against KR if we knew then what we know now
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

Christ on a bike, Easiest way to do things would have been to ignore the games missed during lockdown and just carry on the season as it should be, Any team that can't play lose the 2 points to their opponents, tough titty, Season finishes on time, No arsing around, everybody happy, except for Gary Hetherington
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wormburner wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:19 pm Christ on a bike, Easiest way to do things would have been to ignore the games missed during lockdown and just carry on the season as it should be, Any team that can't play lose the 2 points to their opponents, tough titty, Season finishes on time, No arsing around, everybody happy, except for Gary Hetherington
Ohh I think they’re all as bad as Uncle Gary,
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I dunno. In the circumstances, the proposals seem fair enough to me. We just have to get some kind of a season completed this year.