Change in the table

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
DaveO

Re: Change in the table

Post by DaveO »

Just to add they used a similar system to end the league one and two soccer seasons early and divided the spoils and relegation based on the average points per game.

This proved highly controversial because six teams were within two points of second placed Rotherham and a seventh within three with a game in hand. Nine (and ten) games to go. Peterborough had played all the top teams early in the season and had a run in of playing seven of the bottom teams out of the nine games. Any betting man would have had them odds on for automatic promotion ahead of Rotherham but Rotherham got it.

So if we end up with different numbers of games played and with some teams avoiding the top sides it’s obvious this system won’t give a realistic result. It has a built in bias that form teams will be demoed never to lose form regardless of who they played and teams with apparent poor form would not improve. You may as well look at the bookies odds for each team at the start of the season and allocate the league positions based on that and take the playoffs from there.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I would say this football made their changes before any hint of a restart (which came to nothing of course) doing this now has rendered this season a farce,if you want to carry on as normal that’s up to yourself of course.

This move has,on a purely personal note has had a profound change in my circumstances and getting to the game as my wife is refusing to spend further money “on a sport that treats its fans with such contempt”,when I asked what that meant she just replied “season ticket” and said no more (I’m not willing to prod the bear just yet but once she makes her mind up it usually stays made up”.

But still got to get the season done haven’t we
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

WE are not a rich sport like it or not we rely on Sky's money to survive - pretty sure if there were another option we'd of taken it by now.

So we need to finish this season - yes the season is a bit of a farce as a result but you have to play a minimum amount of games to make the top 4 so there is mitigation its not like Catalan can just not play games now is it

The sport needs its fans more than ever right now - think about it - is it really going to make a huge amount of difference anyway? top 4 of wigan/saints/wire + either cas/cats/leeds/hull is pretty much parr for the course and we will get there this way too

in the end the season will be won by either saints or wigan more than likely beacuse even if wire get there they will choke like every other team outside of wigan/saints/leeds does

I think we can all give afford to give the sport considering the year a bye this year lets stop bitching and just watch the rugby we can and enjoy being able to see more matches on sky than before. Then next year i expect them to have a decent plan if the COVID stuff is still an issue
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Think you're right Wiganf85 about the season needing to be done, purely for the money and survival, it's as simple as that with the world we're in. Don't complete and we may not have a sport left, the way we know it !
Also, if there's no fans and neutral venues (except Catalans) it doesn't really matter where in the top 4 clubs finish.
And Fozzie, if I take your point about the club's handling of season tickets, if I'm correct one of the options offered by them, was a full refund (based on matches cancelled). If that helps keep the wife onside :(
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Blimey, has Dave's account been taken over? If we get through as many games as planned this won't even affect the table and he's going to stop going to games just in case?

It would be great to have a game to not go to in person IMO, who cares about the fairness of this seasons league, it's good to just have some games played.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Nezza Faz wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:24 pm Think you're right Wiganf85 about the season needing to be done, purely for the money and survival, it's as simple as that with the world we're in. Don't complete and we may not have a sport left, the way we know it !
Also, if there's no fans and neutral venues (except Catalans) it doesn't really matter where in the top 4 clubs finish.
And Fozzie, if I take your point about the club's handling of season tickets, if I'm correct one of the options offered by them, was a full refund (based on matches cancelled). If that helps keep the wife onside :(
Oddly enough it’s not the season ticket issue that’s got up her nose (she felt what was offered was on the whole fair)it is this constant messing around with rules and the topper came last night when reading what they’d done she just said pretty much enough.

If it’s doing that to her,who bases her rota to allow us to go both home and away games then something is clearly wrong,this isn’t the way to run a business simple as that.

I keep seeing got to finish the season for sky,I’d wager that August alone brought us close to the agreed number of games and given most will be on the box through September I’d say the sport has overachieved so why do they need more?

That aside it’s this feeling of being taken for a fool by the sport and the more I think about what she says the more I agree with her,the CC should have been binned and less games and aim for an October GF to end this god forsaken season.

For my wife this is about being treated as a customer and how the sport treats her and frankly she’s feeling very undervalued at present by the sport and when that happens you lose customers.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

I suppose it's the balancing act that's the key. Between having some kind of meaningful season so as clubs and the league remain financially viable, and keeping the TV companies in tandem with their contractual obligations ( Sky remember, offered subscribers full credits with payment holidays), as they've had a big financial hit with no games, and of course if we'd cancelled the Challenge Cup, that's another full season's income we'd have lost as a game with the BBC (we'd already lost the contract with them for the GB v Kangaroos Test Series cancellation) so the RFL/SL have had very serious financial constraints placed on them already. Finally, yes, the fans have to be taken into account but because of the nature of Covid, the answers just keep on changing with this virus, so I imagine the rules have to be amended for fairness as we go on. I think most Clubs have relied upon the generosity of their fan base to help get their season through, but it needs the full co-operation of all to muddle through all of this ?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

DaveO wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:27 pm

If Sky want their pound of flesh they need to flexible and the RFL need to think a bit harder.

Ah, the 'we hold all the cards' argument!

Where have I heard that one before? :lol:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Mike wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:03 pm Blimey, has Dave's account been taken over? If we get through as many games as planned this won't even affect the table and he's going to stop going to games just in case?

It would be great to have a game to not go to in person IMO, who cares about the fairness of this seasons league, it's good to just have some games played.
No comment re Mr Angry
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
bertina

Post by bertina »

moto748 wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:31 pm
DaveO wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:27 pm

If Sky want their pound of flesh they need to flexible and the RFL need to think a bit harder.

Ah, the 'we hold all the cards' argument!

Where have I heard that one before? :lol:
Dead right Moto.!! DaveO needs a bloody reality check.
" Sky want their pound of flesh" ??? Rugby league needs Sky a thousand times more than Sky needs Rugby league.
Wether you agree with the new league system or not, I am just happy to see some RL played, and long may it continue.