21-man squad to face Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: 21-man squad to face Hull FC

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:25 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:03 pm
kevbrown1980 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:27 pm

Do you not read any news on the players? It's been well documented this week that he's been given time off to allow a full recovery from his injury
Why all of a sudden is he being given time off? Lam quotes 2-3 weeks.

What has been uncovered that wasn't already known.

He had a full 3-4 months break this season already. I'm not sure this signing is going to work out for anyone.
You’re right of course I get the feeling it’ll end in tears for the big man
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

I dont have any concerns about Burgess he is crocked its simple..
What I am more concerned about is why Hankinson has been totally dropped out the squad, its a joke, this lad is not getting a chance under Lam??
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jackthelad wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:31 pm I dont have any concerns about Burgess he is crocked its simple..
What I am more concerned about is why Hankinson has been totally dropped out the squad, its a joke, this lad is not getting a chance under Lam??
Said this all along! It’s a bloody joke & I feel for the lad
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Good managers tend not to have 'favourites.' They play the best players even if they have problems with them. Heaven knows I wasn't thrilled with the way that we played under Waney but off-hand, the only player he seemed not to be willing to play was Josh Charnley. Never understood why.
Looks like Hanky has joined Joe Burgess (who wouldn't be playing if we hadn't run out of wingers) and Morgan Escare on the naughty step.
Think Hanky is a decent pro who kicks well and always gives his best. His only major problem is his lack of pace but he's not alone in that.
If we're not going to play him, like Morgan. the club should do the decent thing and let him go elsewhere for the sake of the player and his career.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

I suppose Hankinson is unfortunate that we are not blessed with many centres so letting him go could prove a detrimental to us. You would normally argue to push him into the back row, but we are have plenty of young forwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Is there something in the fact that Wane and both Lam really don't seem to want to play Hankinson?

Likewise with Escare.

As much as we do not like it from our point of view, there must be something in it.

Puts question marks on the recruitment though doesn't it.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

This week would have been a good week to play Hankinson. He is a big man when size will be needed against Hull FC who's outside backs are hardly small. Hardaker and Manfredi had a nightmare against HKR and they could face similar problems on Saturday.
As for allowing him to go on loan, surely it's sods law that if we do that then Zac will cop a knock and Hanks couldn't then be brought back for a month. A good goal kicker can win you matches and Hanks is a good goalkicker.
Lam should be playing him to keep him match fit and match alert for the times when he'll be needed.
Both Lam and Waney had favourites but also players who they simply won't play. Not good!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

jackthelad wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:31 pm I dont have any concerns about Burgess he is crocked its simple..
Who would you drop, Gildart or Hardaker?
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Its clearly not looking great for George Burgess, that said, its wise of us to sign Brad Singleton! Good Business! If we need to cut Burgess loose (presuming he cannot regain full fitness), lets do it ASAP! I have no doubt Burgess is on the top end of the scale regarding salaries at the club.

Ideally, Smithies would start at 13 and SOL would interchange with him or as an 8 or 10. I actually think we sometimes miss SOL at 13 (especially his leadership and experience), hopefully his fitness and stamina have improved.

Cant understand the fascination with people thinking Chris Hankinson is a 'Wigan standard' centre. He is good for a conversion and that's it, doesn't supply his wingers, doesn't have great pace and doesn't have the creative flair of someone like Gildart. If he was two stone heavier, id consider playing his at 12 (possibly). If he was that good he would have squeezed out Sarge last season.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:24 pm Its clearly not looking great for George Burgess, that said, its wise of us to sign Brad Singleton! Good Business! If we need to cut Burgess loose (presuming he cannot regain full fitness), lets do it ASAP! I have no doubt Burgess is on the top end of the scale regarding salaries at the club.

Ideally, Smithies would start at 13 and SOL would interchange with him or as an 8 or 10. I actually think we sometimes miss SOL at 13 (especially his leadership and experience), hopefully his fitness and stamina have improved.

Cant understand the fascination with people thinking Chris Hankinson is a 'Wigan standard' centre. He is good for a conversion and that's it, doesn't supply his wingers, doesn't have great pace and doesn't have the creative flair of someone like Gildart. If he was two stone heavier, id consider playing his at 12 (possibly). If he was that good he would have squeezed out Sarge last season.
How do we do that? He is contracted?

Why would this have happened?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."