Ethan Havard signs new Wigan contract

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Ethan Havard signs new Wigan contract

Post by nathan_rugby »

Excellent news.

We have a great production line of forwards come through recently. Wonder why we get more forwards breaking in than backs?

It could be down to there being a requirement for more forwards and because of injuries / rotations these players get a chance.

Since players like Partington, Byrne, Smithies, Havard, Borough, Shorrocks have made their debut and played consistently, has a back other than Harry Smith?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Havard: Where I want to be

Ethan Havard discusses his new Wigan Warriors contract.

Havard: “This is where I want to be, this is where I want to play.”

Young forward pens new deal for 2021 and 2022 with the option for 2023.

Wigan youngster Ethan Havard has expressed his delight in signing a new contract with the Club.

The 19-year-old has penned a new deal that will see him stay at the Club for the 2021 and 2022 seasons, with a further option for 2023.

Reacting to his new deal Havard said: “I’m buzzing. This is where I want to be, this is where I want to play.

“I’m enjoying my rugby at the minute; I like my teammates and I love coming into training every day.”

The forward has been deployed at both prop and 13 since first being introduced into the Warriors first team last season.

His debut came against Wakefield Trinity in July 2019, when Wigan ran out comfortable winners 46-16 in front of home crowd at the DW Stadium.

Discussing his progression through the Wigan ranks, Havard said: “It all started with the Scholarship, going through the Academy and putting in the hard work there.

“I loved my time in the Academy. Then it was about putting more graft in up here (the first team), finding your feet and learning off the likes of Tony Clubb, Ben Flower and Sean O’Loughlin – the guys who have been there and done it.”

The talented 6ft 3 youngster has made a total of nine appearances for the Cherry and Whites – four starts and five inclusions off the bench.

Speaking about how he feels his first season among the first team has gone, he said: “I’m happy with how it’s gone so far. There’s still plenty to improve upon, but I want to get to finals and win trophies.”

With the Cherry and Whites still very much in the mix for both major competitions this season, Havard expressed no lack of desire to win silverware this year.

“It would be the dream start to my career to get two trophies this season.”

Discussions and rumours around the Havard’s future have been spinning for some time with suggestions of interest from NRL clubs down-under.

Addressing this, he said: “It’s been very flattering to have interest from other clubs, but this is where I want to be, this is where I’m happy. Wigan is who I want to play for.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/09/ ... ant-to-be/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:01 pm Excellent news.

We have a great production line of forwards come through recently. Wonder why we get more forwards breaking in than backs?

It could be down to there being a requirement for more forwards and because of injuries / rotations these players get a chance.

Since players like Partington, Byrne, Smithies, Havard, Borough, Shorrocks have made their debut and played consistently, has a back other than Harry Smith?
I think we've always had a steady production line when it comes to back rowers. When it comes to other positions though it seems to have varied over the years.

Not so long ago we rarely seemed to have top quality props in the academy. We had Sutton in the last few years but before that you're probably going back to the likes of Lee Mossop. Recently that seems to have changed, which is good because our record when recruiting props isn't the best.

Going a bit further back we had a steady stream of quality young wingers coming through with Manfredi, Burgess, Marshall and Davies. Now the only outside back we seem to have that looks like they could become a top player is Umyla Hanley.

I don't think we've ever really done well at producing centres though. Gildart is outstanding but the last decent centre we produced before him was probably Goulding.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

This lad is already at home in the first team, he's got the size and the work rate to be an Ian Robert's in my eyes.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Mickw wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:30 pm This lad is already at home in the first team, he's got the size and the work rate to be an Ian Robert's in my eyes.
If he fills out and continues to develop he could well do that. A very good player already with his best years to come.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mickw wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:30 pm This lad is already at home in the first team, he's got the size and the work rate to be an Ian Robert's in my eyes.
Now he was a top prop forward, probably the best I have seen at Wigan.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Ethan likes playing 13 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

An interesting comment there Josie. I have been wondering if Ethan could be our answer to the long-standing replacement for Lockers even if he'll play a slightly different role. Playing 13 rather than an out and out prop would also reduce the wear and tear on a young player.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

southportcdm wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:39 am An interesting comment there Josie. I have been wondering if Ethan could be our answer to the long-standing replacement for Lockers even if he'll play a slightly different role. Playing 13 rather than an out and out prop would also reduce the wear and tear on a young player.
I’m good friends with Ethan & his Mum & Dad 😊