Field

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
medlocke

Re: Field

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:34 pm
oval balls wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:11 pm If we got field and with smith improving with every game then I feel we would have that combination
In Harry Smith we have a player who has the potential to be an excellent half back and playmaker as he can read a game and has shown his ability in a few of the games I have seen him in
With the speed of field running off smith we would be very potent in that area I feel
That combo would be too young and unexperienced.
WHY'S that then
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

medlocke wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:46 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:34 pm
oval balls wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:11 pm If we got field and with smith improving with every game then I feel we would have that combination
In Harry Smith we have a player who has the potential to be an excellent half back and playmaker as he can read a game and has shown his ability in a few of the games I have seen him in
With the speed of field running off smith we would be very potent in that area I feel
That combo would be too young and unexperienced.
WHY'S that then
1 - Jai Field is 23 and played about 20 NRL games, Harry Smith is 20 and played probably 10 senior games

2 - On average half-backs do tend to get better with age

3 - Half back pairings often benefit from having an experienced game manager

4 - There isn't too much evidence of very young half back pairings being successful (I cannot think of any but know there will be exceptions)

5 - Tommy (Very experienced) and Hastings (MOS) have both looked very lost and clueless at times, probably down to coaching and game plan and players around them maybe, how will Field and Smith look?

6 - Smith has also had a few quiet games when paired with Tommy or Hastings, whats he going to be like next to Field?

7 - Our forwards and/or game plan doesn't really make us hard yets, get on the front foot, fast play of the balls and therefore makes the halfbacks job even hard

8 - Although Lam promised free flowing attacking rugby, we don't really do that, which would increase the challenge even more for Smith and Field.

For the record, I have nothing against Smith, he looks a cracking prospect with a great future, but we need to be careful with young players, halfbacks etc. Not all of them burst on the scene like Tomkins and Williams. There are many factors and variables in place.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Nathan - I agree with your comments but what do you suggest we do about it? It looks like we're signing Field and losing Hastings and French. Do we keep Tommy going for another year to help them out (I think that's what we'll do) and, if not, who else can we realistically sign?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

southportcdm wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:02 pm Nathan - I agree with your comments but what do you suggest we do about it? It looks like we're signing Field and losing Hastings and French. Do we keep Tommy going for another year to help them out (I think that's what we'll do) and, if not, who else can we realistically sign?
Sign Benji Marshall
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:52 pm
southportcdm wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:02 pm Nathan - I agree with your comments but what do you suggest we do about it? It looks like we're signing Field and losing Hastings and French. Do we keep Tommy going for another year to help them out (I think that's what we'll do) and, if not, who else can we realistically sign?
Sign Benji Marshall
I wouldn't be unhappy with that, but even if we did, it would only be a short-term option.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

moto748 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:05 pm
Sign Benji Marshall
I wouldn't be unhappy with that, but even if we did, it would only be a short-term option.
Albert Kelly would come cheaper.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:00 pm
moto748 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:05 pm

Sign Benji Marshall
Albert Kelly would come cheaper.
not for me as i dont rate him and seems to be injured quite a bit (so may fit in quite well :) )
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Bring back George Williams from Canberra!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

After Bateman can we please stop bringing back ex players, I want to see new players brought in, keeping the team fresh and putting more asses on seats
moto748

Post by moto748 »

The likes of Albert Kelly aren't fit to lace Benji's drinks.