Joe Burgess is the best winger on his day' - Oliver Gildart on their left-side reunion

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Joe Burgess is the best winger on his day' - Oliver Gildart on their left-side reunion

Post by josie andrews »

Oliver Gildart is thrilled to be back alongside Joe Burgess – and predicted the winger will show just why he is the best in the business.

Their left-edge partnership has been in lethal form since the pair were reunited two weeks ago.

They have scored five tries between them in impressive victories over Catalans and Hull FC, as well as carving out chances for those around them, and are both set to face Wakefield tonight.

Gildart and Burgess first played alongside each other in the school team at St Edmund Arrowsmith High – interestingly, England prop Luke Thompson was another team-mate – and their partnership has frequently impressed over the years.

They are back together in Adrian Lam’s side following Gildart’s return from shoulder surgery, while Burgess was recalled after Liam Marshall suffered a season-ending knee injury.

And with Burgess set for a move to Salford next season, a move which has still not been confirmed, Gildart is hoping there are more good times ahead over the next two months.

“It’s been class being alongside Budgie again,” said Gildart.

“If you speak to him, he’d be the first to admit he probably wasn’t playing at his best at the back end of last season and you can’t take anything away from Marshy, he’s been really good for us.

But now Budge has got his chance again and on the day there is no one better in my view. He probably just needed a bit of confidence and I think the best is yet to come from him.

“Hopefully we can make the most of it and we win a couple of trophies this year.”

Tonight’s Super League encounter with Wakefield, in a televised behind-closed-doors clash at Warrington, will be followed with another league match with St Helens on Tuesday.

And they won’t have too long to recover from the first derby showdown of the year – the Warriors are in action against Leeds in a Challenge Cup semi-final three days later.

“It’s definitely a tough period,” said Gildart. “But we traditionally do well in the Easter period, when it’s a similar kind of schedule. We seem to get it right with recovery and rotating a couple of players, and we’ll take the same approach this week and next.”

Gildart celebrated his effort against FC with a celebration in which he mimicked a referee by blowing ‘a whistle’ and pointing to the spot – and hasn’t ruled out another celebration next time he gets over the whitewash.

“It just happened, I didn’t plan it or anything,” he smiled.

“With what’s happened with Covid and not being able to celebrate, it’s a bit strange, you get up and there’s nothing – so that one just came out of nowhere.

“I think I may just stick to that one and try and make it my own.”

Kick-off tonight is 8.15pm.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... on-2983237
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
THE JUDGE

Re: Joe Burgess is the best winger on his day' - Oliver Gildart on their left-side reunion

Post by THE JUDGE »

I can`t think of a single reason why Wigan would allow Budgie to go to Salford. If as seems likely he has not committed to the move, then Wigan should not hesitate in securing Joe`s future on an improved contract. His partnership with Oliver Gildart is excellent, and is a powerful weapon in our armoury. C`mon Wigan get your finger out.
Following a Judicial Review of my computer, I hope I have now resolved my inability to participate
medlocke

Re: Joe Burgess is the best winger on his day' - Oliver Gildart on their left-side reunion

Post by medlocke »

THE JUDGE wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:54 pm I can`t think of a single reason why Wigan would allow Budgie to go to Salford. If as seems likely he has not committed to the move, then Wigan should not hesitate in securing Joe`s future on an improved contract. His partnership with Oliver Gildart is excellent, and is a powerful weapon in our armoury. C`mon Wigan get your finger out.
Performance over the last 3 seasons
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

But what if Gildart goes?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pearsy wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:42 pm But what if Gildart goes?
Bring in George Jennings
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:40 pm
Bring in George Jennings
Defo need to keep joe burgess
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:44 pm
Bring in George Jennings
Not going to happen though is it, I suspect he will go the same was as other ex Wigan players when he leaves, Non have really excelled
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:26 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:44 pm

Bring in George Jennings
Not going to happen though is it, I suspect he will go the same was as other ex Wigan players when he leaves, Non have really excelled
i just thought it was a rash decision to let him go
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I'd just listen to Olly and believe my own eyes. That left side works in attack and defence and it's better now than it was at the start of the season and that's no disrespect to Liam Marshall who was playing out of his skin when he got injured.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

medlocke wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:28 pm
THE JUDGE wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:54 pm I can`t think of a single reason why Wigan would allow Budgie to go to Salford. If as seems likely he has not committed to the move, then Wigan should not hesitate in securing Joe`s future on an improved contract. His partnership with Oliver Gildart is excellent, and is a powerful weapon in our armoury. C`mon Wigan get your finger out.
Performance over the last 3 seasons
Spot on medlocke!