Wigan contacted over possibility of signing Benji Marshall

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Wigan contacted over possibility of signing Benji Marshall

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan great Steve Renouf has contacted his former club over the possibility of signing Benji Marshall.

Marshall, 35, has not been offered a new deal by Wests Tigers and is on the market for the 2021 season, with Super League an option.

Speaking to NRL.com, Renouf said: “I’ve just sent an email to Wigan’s general manager Kris Radlinski, who is also an old teammate and friend of mine, letting him know I reckon Benji would be a great asset to the team and he is still playing outstanding footy.

“If Benji can’t get another NRL deal I think he would be a real asset to Wigan because the club has always appreciated his style of player.

“He has a big name over there and Wigan have always been known as an attacking team.

“You look at their history and they’ve had great attacking players like Martin Offiah, Jason Robinson, Ellery Hanley and Radlinski himself.

In my era in the 1990s their defence got stiffer as well but they always had that fast play-the-ball and attack. Benji would fit right in.”

Next year would mark Marshall’s 19th rugby league season, having made his NRL debut in 2003.

In that time he has become one of the game’s greats, producing some iconic moments on the biggest stage.

Having won almost every personal and team accolade in the NRL and at international level, a stint in England is the only thing missing from his illustrious career.

Adding to the comments made by Renouf, Marshall’s agent Matt Desira confirmed the playmaker would consider a move to Super League.

“At the moment we are in talks but there is nothing in concrete. I couldn’t tell you he is going here or there,” Desira told NRL.com

“Fox Sports have made him a decent offer but we just have to sit and wait.

“We are giving it until the grand final to make a decision but Benji does want to go around again and deserves to finish how he wants to. I definitely think he will play on.

Benji would definitely look at overseas for sure.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-co ... all-33526/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Re: Wigan contacted over possibility of signing Benji Marshall

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:53 pm Wigan great Steve Renouf has contacted his former club over the possibility of signing Benji Marshall.

Marshall, 35, has not been offered a new deal by Wests Tigers and is on the market for the 2021 season, with Super League an option.

Speaking to NRL.com, Renouf said: “I’ve just sent an email to Wigan’s general manager Kris Radlinski, who is also an old teammate and friend of mine, letting him know I reckon Benji would be a great asset to the team and he is still playing outstanding footy.

“If Benji can’t get another NRL deal I think he would be a real asset to Wigan because the club has always appreciated his style of player.

“He has a big name over there and Wigan have always been known as an attacking team.

“You look at their history and they’ve had great attacking players like Martin Offiah, Jason Robinson, Ellery Hanley and Radlinski himself.

In my era in the 1990s their defence got stiffer as well but they always had that fast play-the-ball and attack. Benji would fit right in.”

Next year would mark Marshall’s 19th rugby league season, having made his NRL debut in 2003.

In that time he has become one of the game’s greats, producing some iconic moments on the biggest stage.

Having won almost every personal and team accolade in the NRL and at international level, a stint in England is the only thing missing from his illustrious career.

Adding to the comments made by Renouf, Marshall’s agent Matt Desira confirmed the playmaker would consider a move to Super League.

“At the moment we are in talks but there is nothing in concrete. I couldn’t tell you he is going here or there,” Desira told NRL.com

“Fox Sports have made him a decent offer but we just have to sit and wait.

“We are giving it until the grand final to make a decision but Benji does want to go around again and deserves to finish how he wants to. I definitely think he will play on.

Benji would definitely look at overseas for sure.”

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-co ... all-33526/
If he's as badly injured as the commentary team made out, don't think he'll be ready for next season.

He's flashy is Benji but imo Jackson Hastings has a far better skill set, as in game management and overall contribution.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

With the damage Corvid is doing we will be lucky to keep our current team next year nevermind pay over the top for a aged NRL star.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Too old now! that said, 'pay as you play' works for me :D
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Benji Marshall too old for Wigan fans at 35 yet still ripping the NRL apart when not inured

Lockers 37 surely should be on the scrap yet Wigan fans want him to go round another year

You couldn't make it up :D
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:26 am Benji Marshall too old for Wigan fans at 35 yet still ripping the NRL apart when not inured

Lockers 37 surely should be on the scrap yet Wigan fans want him to go round another year

its a valid point meds....... only thing is that lockers is used to super league and our conditions
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:19 am
medlocke wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:26 am Benji Marshall too old for Wigan fans at 35 yet still ripping the NRL apart when not inured

its a valid point meds....... only thing is that lockers is used to super league and our conditions
yeah but in fairness he spends 60% of the matches wearing a coat not a kit so unless youre talking about the conditions in the stands im not sure what advantage he has
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

If we swapped both players around which one would struggle the most, I bet it wouldn't be Marshall
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

medlocke wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:31 pm

If we swapped both players around which one would struggle the most, I bet it wouldn't be Marshall
At no point did i say i wouldnt prefer benji meds
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:01 pm

yeah but in fairness he spends 60% of the matches wearing a coat not a kit so unless youre talking about the conditions in the stands im not sure what advantage he has
Like i said, meds makes a fair point...... benjis biggest hurdle would be fitting in to our cold climate and different plays...... still he might fit like a glove( who knows)