saints game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
No straw damn us

Re: saints game

Post by No straw damn us »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:39 pm Catalan currently 22 - 6 up at Leeds
Full time 34 - 6 to Catalan.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Saints are rubbish - they'll win nowt.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Saints are beatable and certainly not invicible. They are a long way off some of the best sides that i have seen in the SL era, but that probably says more about the rest than Saints.

i would say that either Wigan or Wire can beat them in the GF on the assumption that it is 2 out of the 3 teams that make it.

if Wigan have a full strength side i am confident that we could beat them. If they dont score 1st and get their noses in front they will start to panic and it wont be the procession that some of their fans are already anticipating.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

The Stains scoreline was to be expected so I was not too unhappy. It was the right decision to rest players and will have been proved so id we win the semi and still make the top four but I will not criticise Lam for it. Hanley has taken some stick but most fans realise that he is still a young lad who will probably go on to be a very good player. I was interested to see Halsall but he did not get much of a chance to shine although he defended soundly. In the forwards I thought that Kilner looked a natural, Wells was putting in a solid shift until his injury and McDonald really looked a threat with ball in hand. Borough also looked lively. Good to see Bullock and Byrne back and they both put in a shift. Young Pierce Paul stood up surprisingly well given his relatively slight frame and reminded me of Gelling in his carrying style. Can I be the only one who thought that Hankinson offered more than Bibby?
On the minus side we were always under pressure. We were predictable in attack with a sucession of one up drives that was never going to trouble an organised defence, we just did not put any doubt into the minds of the defensive line. The backs offered little threat so could not take the load off the forwards. Smith was unable to dictate play because Jake Shorrocks is not that kind of creative player and we had no real pace out wide. It might have been good to see Hanley moved out wide and to try to stretch The Saints defence. Some of the more experienced players did not show up well and were, by comparison, poor. If the rumours are true that some more senior players are unhappy at being asked to play then somebody needs to sit down with one or two of them an ask them how well they would judge their own performance.
If I was asked to suggest who should be moved up the pecking order after that I would say Kilner, McDonald. I would like to see KPP given more opportunities soon. Hanley and Halsall need more game time but probably are not far off and I imagine that they will be out on loan as soon as possible. If French and Hastings are on their way then Smith will need a partner to share the load. We could also be looking for at least one centre and fresh legs on the wing. I would not be unhappy to see Hanley filling in on the wing and Halsall at centre but if we lose both senior centres, with one going to full back, then we will struggle next season.
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Levrier wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:12 am The Stains scoreline was to be expected so I was not too unhappy. It was the right decision to rest players and will have been proved so id we win the semi and still make the top four but I will not criticise Lam for it. Hanley has taken some stick but most fans realise that he is still a young lad who will probably go on to be a very good player. I was interested to see Halsall but he did not get much of a chance to shine although he defended soundly. In the forwards I thought that Kilner looked a natural, Wells was putting in a solid shift until his injury and McDonald really looked a threat with ball in hand. Borough also looked lively. Good to see Bullock and Byrne back and they both put in a shift. Young Pierce Paul stood up surprisingly well given his relatively slight frame and reminded me of Gelling in his carrying style. Can I be the only one who thought that Hankinson offered more than Bibby?
On the minus side we were always under pressure. We were predictable in attack with a sucession of one up drives that was never going to trouble an organised defence, we just did not put any doubt into the minds of the defensive line. The backs offered little threat so could not take the load off the forwards. Smith was unable to dictate play because Jake Shorrocks is not that kind of creative player and we had no real pace out wide. It might have been good to see Hanley moved out wide and to try to stretch The Saints defence. Some of the more experienced players did not show up well and were, by comparison, poor. If the rumours are true that some more senior players are unhappy at being asked to play then somebody needs to sit down with one or two of them an ask them how well they would judge their own performance.
If I was asked to suggest who should be moved up the pecking order after that I would say Kilner, McDonald. I would like to see KPP given more opportunities soon. Hanley and Halsall need more game time but probably are not far off and I imagine that they will be out on loan as soon as possible. If French and Hastings are on their way then Smith will need a partner to share the load. We could also be looking for at least one centre and fresh legs on the wing. I would not be unhappy to see Hanley filling in on the wing and Halsall at centre but if we lose both senior centres, with one going to full back, then we will struggle next season.
"Can I be the only one who thought that Hankinson offered more than Bibby?"

Totally agree with you on this one, been shouting for a while he should be ahead of bibby in the squad