Leeds Rhinos' plan to try and stop Bevan French

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Leeds Rhinos' plan to try and stop Bevan French

Post by josie andrews »

Leeds Rhinos have drawn up a plan to try and stop Bevan French.

The livewire Australian scored two tries when Wigan beat Richard Agar’s side 28-10 in Super League last month.

And halfback Luke Gale believes putting the shackles on French will go some way to deciding today’s Challenge Cup semi-final.

“Jackson Hastings, obviously we know about him and he’s a great player, but Bevan French is another who’s added a new dimension to them this year,” said Gale.

We know his dangers and we’ve worked on that this week.

“Rich has done our plan and we’re happy with that. All that is set now and all we need to do is go out and play the game.

“Wigan are a tough side who play with plenty of aggression. I’m sure both teams will come out swinging.”

Agar said: “They are a really good team with some of the best players in

Sean O’Loughlin brings another dimension to them, particularly when they are playing out of their own half.

“The more structured ball movement plays come about through Sean, they have Jackson Hastings and Thomas Leuluai and probably the most exciting individual in the comp’ in Bevan French.

He is one of those guys as a supporter you would pay to go into the stadium and watch some of the stuff he does. Liam Farrell is a tremendous player for them and I think they have a couple of real unsung heroes in Sam Powell and Willie Isa.

“We have prepared for them, we are very aware of their threats and very aware we are going to have to get our best performance out on the day to get this one against a strong and consistent team.”

Leeds and Wigan both entered the competition at the quarter-final stage, owing to the disruptions caused by both the Covid-19 pandemic and then Toronto’s withdrawal.

But Gale says winning the famous trophy would be just as special.

“We’ve played Hull KR in the quarters and now we’re 80 minutes from getting into a final. We knew it’d be different,” said the former Man of Steel.

“The whole season has been and it’s been challenging. There’s a different challenge this week.

“It’s been a strange year but a Challenge Cup is still a Challenge Cup in 2020 or 2023; you’re still a Challenge Cup winner.”

Gale admits he has been practicing drop goals in case the score is locked in the final stages.

“We’ve had about 10 do them in training this morning and been going in every stand!” he smiled.

“I do practice all the time and slot a few after training. It will be a tight game, weather will play a part so the kicking game will be massively important. We’ve left no stone unturned.”

Kick-off today is 2.30pm and the game is on the BBC.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ch-2991478
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Leeds Rhinos' plan to try and stop Bevan French

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

The exciting thing about reading that, is the fact we still have exciting players like Joe Burgess and Oliver Gildart, who if you take your eye off them for a second, can hurt you. Hopefully Leeds focus on French for those extra fractions, leaving gaps in behind
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

A plan.

Probably foul repeatedly.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Their plan is probably to deal with French at full back. Lam can see how we handle it and has the options of a switcheroo, either with Zak to 1 and French to 2, or French to 6/7 when Tommy goes off.

If Leeds can deal with French in any/all of these positions then, as has been said, we have Hastings/Faz/Gilly/Budgie on the left and Lockers/Powell up the middle.

I'm confident that we're the better team and will turn up. Bookies have us 70%, Leeds 30%.

C'mon you Wigan!
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I think we are much better man for man than leeds...... not sure these conditions will suite french in any way( please prove me wrong frenchy)..... the other worry is tommys poor kicking game....... hopefully we can dominate in the middle....... i think clarke deserves a bench spot after his performance against saints
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

It wasn't just a plan for French the Leeds team had a plan for the hole team
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Not rocket science. We used to do the same to Offiah when he played for Widnes.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:15 pm Not rocket science. We used to do the same to Offiah when he played for Widnes.
Given the ‘throw to ball to French’ is Lams plan a,b and c once it’s been worked out it’s game over
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

They never just stopped french...... it was a ploy...... conditions wernt suited to his style of play
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Given the conditions and how ineffective we where at getting French on the ball, should we consider moving Zak back to full back and put French in the line as a running half when the conditions don’t suit flowing rugby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk