21-man squad vs Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
No straw damn us

Re: 21-man squad vs Leeds

Post by No straw damn us »

bertina wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:31 pm
pearsy wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:00 pm Looks like Lam has been out coached again
Lulus crap kicking game is killing us.
He’s finished. Play Harry Smith.
Leuluai has a very good short kicking game, but we have no-one with a BIG boot, so consequently if we're struggling for territory we can't kick our way out of trouble. How many sets did we end today in our own forty, particularly in the first half against the wind?
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

We got battered by a team that wanted it!
There was no passion and nobody to control the game like Gale given the conditions, end of.
Take it on the chin, stop dreaming and move on!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

When I watched the babies play on Tuesday I could forgive the constant one man up style of play as most of them had not played for months but nothing seems to have changed. Even with the poor conditions we should have managed some kind of variety in attack, even the suggestion of a runner seems too much to hope for. On the few occasions that our one up runners can make a dent or free an arm there is no chance of a continuation. The likes of Shorrocks and Partington are most potent, going forward, when they can pick a line ,attack a gap and receive the ball just before impact but that needs someone to take the line on who can pass.
The issues in the backs are even more difficult to call. I cannot see how Bibby is always selected over Hankinson. We just do not seem to be a threat in the backs as our wingers just do not get to run with the ball. Without Gildart we have little creativity or speed in the centres and today we desperately needed a kicker. Smith was sorely missed today and so it was a wonder that despite being an interchange down he was sat on the bench until we were so far behind that his best ever game would not have been enough. If Lam is worried about his defence then we may as well have moved Powell to 13 and Lulu to hooker given that we brought Shorrocks on who is not much bigger.
I have to congratulate Leeds today. They had a simple but effective game plan that neutralised our two dimensional style of play. They had a kicker who knows his game and enough confidence in each other to pass the ball.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wandering Warrior wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:09 pm We got battered by a team that wanted it!
There was no passion and nobody to control the game like Gale given the conditions, end of.
Take it on the chin, stop dreaming and move on!
thats the word.....PASSION....... well at least bolton won at last WW😃
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

[/quote]
Lulus crap kicking game is killing us.
He’s finished. Play Harry Smith.
[/quote]
What about Powell’s kicking ?
4 th tackle straight down there throats.
No one to blame but Lam .
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Pbickerstaff wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:36 pm One pass and tackle, nothing to our wings. No game plan throughout.Absolutely friggin awful. Respect to Leeds. They always come up with a plan unlike Wigan.
Yeah, Leeds' plan was One pass and tackle, nothing to their wings, and make more metres than us. Our plan was terrible...
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I was not optimistic about getting past Leeds, who have looked decent lately, regardless of what the weather conditions were like. Would we have done any better in bright sunshine? I doubt it, not least because even in pouring rain Leeds still strung a lot more passes together than we managed. Out-thought, out-played and out-muscled. I agree that Greenwood, although not a bad player at all, does not deserve to take Faz's place and render him so much less effective in the middle. Tommy can't kick a decent bomb to save his life, and never could. Oh for a Mitchell Moses! To be fair, Powell has kicked pretty well out of dummy-half lately, but even he was poor today. There's a lot of talk about him, but really I think Sam Powell is the least of our problems.
Last edited by moto748 on Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

We were dogshite today, one of the worst Wigan performances I've seen for a good while.
Credit to Leeds for sure but we played dumb and were coached dumb...

Multiple things to remark on but Harry Smith should have come on after 20 minutes NOT with 20 to go.
TravellingWarrior

Post by TravellingWarrior »

Does anyone think that one of our problems is sometimes we have too many creative players on the pitch, so causes confusion as too who is taking charge and organising during the game, also prevents a settled half back pairing as its constantly being swapped around. Ie Hastings played halfback, hooker, and potentially 13.

It almost reminds me of the old switcheroo with Sam Tomkins that worked for about 3 games then became predictable and was nullified by other teams.

Just a thought.

My other thought is with Lockers - both my dad and I said that having a player that manages 30 mins of game time is a wasted bench spot, (especially when you have a half back on the bench as well effectively gives you one less substitute.
The world is a book and those who don't travel read only one page.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:14 pm
Pbickerstaff wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:36 pm One pass and tackle, nothing to our wings. No game plan throughout.Absolutely friggin awful. Respect to Leeds. They always come up with a plan unlike Wigan.
Yeah, Leeds' plan was One pass and tackle, nothing to their wings, and make more metres than us. Our plan was terrible...
What plan? The first thing you need to do is run harder and tackle harder than the opposition. Forwards win matches and ours were second best.