George Williams

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Fujiman

George Williams

Post by Fujiman »

Just been described as the wonder from wigan😄
pearsy

Re: George Williams

Post by pearsy »

Was he that fast when he played for Wigan?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

pearsy wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:17 pm Was he that fast when he played for Wigan?
I think he was, to be fair. He ran away to score plenty of tries for Wigan. Delighted to see him go so well, though, I'm sure lots of Wigan fans were cheering him on this morning.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I hope he has a clause in his NRL contract to return to Wigan.......and at 7! In some respects, looks so much more accomplished and natural at scrum half.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:41 pm I hope he has a clause in his NRL contract to return to Wigan.......and at 7! In some respects, looks so much more accomplished and natural at scrum half.
I dunno. The difference between 6 & 7 is moot these days, at most clubs anyway, including Canberra. George plays mostly on the right, with Wighton on the left. And as far as kicking game is concerned, he has always been a much better short kicker than long, and still is. He lacks the big boot of a Mitchell Moses or a Shaun Johnson, and in fact Wighton has a much bigger boot than he has. And I sometimes wonder how he's go on his preferred left side, as he did at Wigan, but I guess they wouldn't move Wighton from his preferred position. All that said, if you want to divide halves into 'running halves' and 'organisers', I guess George does fall more into the latter role, and Wighton the former. Anyway it's working for the Raiders at the moment.
DaveO

George Williams

Post by DaveO »

Looks a much better player than when at Wigan. As does Sutton. You could say it’s because they are in a better team but then the Wigan “rejects” at Salford look better than they did at Wigan. It’s not a good look that in order to improve players need to leave the club!
mickh

Post by mickh »

That scenario has been going on for years, way back exciting player Eddie Cunningham struggled to get a first team position, and, stand off Chris Hesketh who couldn't keep a regular spot, moved on to Salford and became the Great Britain Tour Captain. You couldn't make it up!
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

DaveO wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:00 am Looks a much better player than when at Wigan. As does Sutton. You could say it’s because they are in a better team but then the Wigan “rejects” at Salford look better than they did at Wigan. It’s not a good look that in order to improve players need to leave the club!
[/quote

Very true, and if you look around for the ex Wigan players still playing at other clubs, there's a team right there who could have beaten this current Wigan side. They all left for several reasons, money, contracts, fell out of favour with Rads or Wane etc. Look at this selection.

Sam Tomkins
Tom Davies
Dan Sargeson
Gelling
Josh Charnley
Ryan Hampshire
George Williams
Ryan Sutton
Micky Mac
Lee Mossop
Joel Tomkins
John Bateman
Jack Hughes

Or play Escare at fullback and Sam T half back. Hampshire on the bench with Navarette, Dudson, Greg Burke and Dom Crosby (if he's still playing)

That just highlights the players we have off-loaded.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Still find it bizarre that the let Tomkins go after the injury ravaged years he finds his form then he’s off..
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Just seen the match, Williams' intercept try was the turning point for me. His second try where he bowled 3 props away was top notch.